2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Haha im not thrilled without paying money but they blow the average fanrag site out the water with their analysis and articles.

some of the best sports journalists and no adds, I paid $2.50 a month on a deal and the amount of quality articles and lack of clickbait crap is refreshing.   Best money I have spent on a site ever.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:39 PM, doc4aday said:

Hey...you are speaking my kind language. Coach Grimes will get the maximum effort out of his linemen. Hand will likely wash out at Texas once they become the worst team with allowing sacks in the little 12!

so how did this prediction work out for ya?!!

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

some of the best sports journalists and no adds, I paid $2.50 a month on a deal and the amount of quality articles and lack of clickbait crap is refreshing.   Best money I have spent on a site ever.

Yep!!

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It really sums up what I have been preaching for years that we need to do with o-line recruiting.  no fat sloppy bodies, athletic, good feet, look for multi sport guys.  They gotta want it and have a bit of nasty.  We have tended to star chase bad body, poor athletic ability, soft and lazy up front that enjoy recruiting more than being great.

It's difficult to recruit but you need a type and not recruiting rankings

I agree. In a lot of ways an OL coach with a clear vision of what they are looking for beats the star chaser any day of the week. I think that was Herb’s problem. Star chasing...

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree. In a lot of ways an OL coach with a clear vision of what they are looking for beats the star chaser any day of the week. I think that was Herb’s problem. Star chasing...

Herb really had one true class.  Brahms, Troxell and Ashley.  I have not given up on Brahms or Troxell.  I expect this to be the year to see improvement from them.  do to the injuries their Senior years and lacking reps and full strength training once arriving I give them a pass.  Ashley, I think he just doesn't want it enough, doesn't want to put in the work.    For the first time he had to work hard to be better than everyone else and it wasn't for him, just no passion.  It happens with top recruits as we too often find out here.

40 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It really sums up what I have been preaching for years that we need to do with o-line recruiting.  no fat sloppy bodies, athletic, good feet, look for multi sport guys.  They gotta want it and have a bit of nasty.  We have tended to star chase bad body, poor athletic ability, soft and lazy up front that enjoy recruiting more than being great.

Gus likes him some big uglies I guess.

41 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Haven't seen us going after rankings on the OL.

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think that was Herb’s problem. Star chasing...

His problem is the same as JB's as far as AU is concerned. Didn't have a say in OL evals or on who we go after. Herb had his issues developing no doubt but if it were up to him we would have gone after the athletic, a bit undersized kids like Phan is talking about as opposed to whatever Gus is doing most of the time. And taken them when we had opportunities to do so.

50 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

To me part of what we lack is the mental aspect with some of our guys.  I am all for the "Family" atmosphere and great character guys but playing in the trenches is a man's game.  Sometimes you need 5 mean SOB's that want to kick the shart out of the guy in front of them and impose their will physically.  You have to be mean and nasty even if it is only on the field.  I don't see that with my naked eye.  I see a bunch of really good character guys that I would rather trust my kid with than rely on to move someone in their way.  Maybe I am wrong.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

To me part of what we lack is the mental aspect with some of our guys.  I am all for the "Family" atmosphere and great character guys but playing in the trenches is a man's game.  Sometimes you need 5 mean SOB's that want to kick the shart out of the guy in front of them and impose their will physically.  You have to be mean and nasty even if it is only on the field.  I don't see that with my naked eye.  I see a bunch of really good character guys that I would rather trust my kid with than rely on to move someone in their way.  Maybe I am wrong.

You're not. It's hard to push a 300 lb human being 65-90 times a game if you don't have a mean streak on the field.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're not. It's hard to push a 300 lb human being if you don't have a mean streak on the field.

I also think a good bit of this can be developed in 1's vs 1's in practice as well as team competitions some staffs have where an offensive and defensive guy go at it.  You either get your butt kicked every day or you do something about it.  I'd be willing to bet we rarely have our starting OL go up against our starting DL.  Gus would rather shelter them to give them confidence.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

His problem is the same as JB's as far as AU is concerned. Didn't have a say in OL evals or on who we go after. Herb had his issues developing no doubt but if it were up to him we would have gone after the athletic, a bit undersized kids like Phan is talking about as opposed to whatever Gus is doing most of the time. And taken them when we had opportunities to do so.

I thought Hand was supposed to have Gus' ear?

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not in that department apparently.

I was just reading about another school and they have their highest rated class ever.  The only thing they did differently is he allowed the assistant coaches to have more freedom to evaluate and pursue players they like over the last couple of years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I’ve been saying this and you’re dead on. Give me some Reese’s Dismukes, Nick Fairleys, and Eric Smith’s (minus the arrest) on our lines.

I can’t tell you one time when I thought it was appropriate to let someone push me around and don’t know why they allow it. One guy in HS decided he’d cut block me over and over so I promptly drove an elbow into the spine the next time he did it. The dude stopped immediately.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, auburnphan said:

so how did this prediction work out for ya?!!

not good.

• Haha 1

I'm not super knowledgeable about recruiting, but I know we've whiffed on several O-lineman and are dangerously low on them in this class and on campus.

Who is left this year that Auburn is still trying to get or who could end up at Auburn? Also, any grad-transfer possibilities?

2 questions: 

1) Has anybody ever gotten the ban hammer for an excessive number of absurd posts in a day?

2) Did I just set myself for getting the ban hammer🤔?

Can we get a list of the remaining targets for February signees on oline? I appreciate the time whoever has to do this. I wouldn’t know where to start. 

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Who is left this year that Auburn is still trying to get

Known targets are OG Kamaar Bell, Juco OT Bamidele O, & OT DaWand Jones

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

grad-transfer possibilities?

5 months still remain in the Grad Transfer market. I think odds are good someone pops up the staff likes.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Wow. So I’m guessing we need 3 more? There must be 6-8 more targets we don’t know about. Hopefully. 

My opinion is we need three more for OT alone.

• Like 3