2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

2 hours ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

Grimes ain't going anywhere.  Who do you think Gus could hire as an OL coach?  His circle of trust is so small.  We are stuck with Grimes for another year. His OL will be a large factor in next year being Gus' last one.  

Not sure who he WOULD hire but the Army OLine plays EXACTLY the way a "Gus" offense would need.  Hand in the dirt and attack.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Recruiting numbers should be planned out at least 2 years in advance but it’s like our staff plans only for the here and now

I would go 3 to 4 years and would prefer 4 for the o-line. But yeah 2 is better than 1.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:06 AM, bigbird said:

If the quality of the ones behind  isn't there, then there is no way that the starters will be pushed. Marshmallows don't sharpen iron very well.

At last we agree. The problem isn't depth after all, it's the quality of the players. Merry Christmas!

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

At last we agree. The problem isn't depth after all, it's the quality of the players. Merry Christmas!

You do realize “depth” refers to numbers AND quality, right?

I swear we got some interesting characters in our fanbase.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

If you don't have quality backups, you don't have depth. 

Merry Christmas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, Gowebb11 said:

The year by year rundown you provided is frightening in terms of our staff’s ability to think strategically. Recruiting numbers should be planned out at least 2 years in advance but it’s like our staff plans only for the here and now. Thus, over reliance on grad transfers. If I were ADAG, I would hold a meeting with our current coaching staff and point stuff like this out. It is part of the ‘CEO’stuff that Gus dislikes so much, but it’s basic management 101. 

Why is this clown the HC at Auburn University if he can't handle 'CEO stuff'?????

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

I used to be a huge fan of JB, but have lost faith in him and see that he is not what we need for this position. Will there be a change after the bowl game? Probably not. There are some good OL coaches out there it would seem that could come in and change the culture of our OL play and recruiting. Unless our OL play is dramatically improved for 2019, the end is near for Gus. Will he finally get it and be the coach he needs to be, or will his stubbornness

do him in and send him on his way. The ball is literally in his court and he has 2019 to make it happen.

• Like 1

Grimes needed to go the first time and working with his son while nice helped put a positive spin on his exit. Gus takes the easy way out and hires another buddy in Hand. Hand’s statistical resume was $:&; and Gus did PSU a favor hiring him. UT did us a favor hiring Hand and Gus takes the easy way out hiring Grimes back. Gus either can’t attract quality O assistants or is a very poor judge of O coaching talent. Gus has not evolved as a HC and it is highly unlikely he will show much in 2019. 

War Eagle 

• Like 3

On 12/24/2018 at 11:08 AM, mcgufcm said:

No possible way Hand has zero say in who we recruited or who we took. If that’s true, you gotta fight back. Grow some balls.  

Could be why he left AU quickly. Could have gotten tired of Gus not listening to him on OL Recruiting Targets & Evals.

• Like 1

I think it is fair to say that Jeff Grimes was are last talented complete line coach that had full control.  The early work he started carried over and then there is with a doubt a clear pattern of failure

• Like 4

@ellitor, I might believe that if not for the widely spread “rumors” that Hand was nudged to find a new job. He landed a great gig, but he was no less pushed out the door than Lashlee or Lindsey. 

It’s all been bad. I’m not giving Gus or Horton or Grimes a pass. I’m equally unwilling to give Hand a pass. Both our recruiting and development cratered during his tenure. He deserves his fair share of the blame. 

• Like 3

I do think the OL will improve. A vital part of the improvement is the QB interaction and the OL knowing where the QB is. In the Bowl game I saw the QB often step up into the pocket and let the OL take the DL around him. Did not see much of that during the year. The QB's first impulse was to back pedal and then run to the right, right into the on rushing DL. Now given that the competition for the Bowl game looked pathetic at best, this was an improvement in mechanics that benefited the OL. I fully agree with the lack of depth at OL. We will need to have an injury free season which is unlikely. Also, having the Center position established is critical. Kim needs to keep improving and stay healthy. Next year OL play should be better, couldn't be worse I hope.  To be successful however, we do need to be solid and deep in the trenches, like our DL. Something we have failed to accomplish in 6 years.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 4:39 PM, bigbird said:

"If you don't have quality backups, you don't have depth."

Here's the thing. Stars don't tell you as much for OL as they do other positions. There is safety in numbers. If you can't get the 4 & 5 star guys you want, take some 3 star guys. If you can't get them, take some 2 star guys. It is hard to tell who will pan out on the OL.  3 or the top 6 Offensive tackles in the 2017 NFL draft  were 2 star or less.  They went to Western Kentucky, Troy, and Western Michigan.  It's hard work evaluating OL talent.  But it is critical to offensive success. We need to take more of them. And do a better job evaluating deeper into the talent pool.  2 OL in a class is just stupid.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Here's the thing. Stars don't tell you as much for OL as they do other positions. There is safety in numbers. If you can't get the 4 & 5 star guys you want, take some 3 star guys. If you can't get them, take some 2 star guys. It is hard to tell who will pan out on the OL.  3 or the top 6 Offensive tackles in the 2017 NFL draft  were 2 star or less.  They went to Western Kentucky, Troy, and Western Michigan.  It's hard work evaluating OL talent.  But it is critical to offensive success. We need to take more of them. And do a better job evaluating deeper into the talent pool.  2 OL in a class is just stupid.

Yup! And don't hold on to guys that are not panning out. Reality is we have a good number in terms of OL guys on scholly but low on number of quality OL. Scholarships are 1 year agreements for most schools. This may sound harsh but if a guy is not showing development after 2 or 3 years we need to cut bait with them while adding 4-5 OL per class. Another lower level school will grab them & let them finish their education on scholly.

• Like 3

On 12/24/2018 at 10:29 AM, bigbird said:

Some see it...some don't.  To me, this is the issue that created or at least magnified most of our other offensive issues.

The MAJOR problem with the offense. The O-Line plays better everything around the offense does better. Running game, QB, and time for the recievers to get open. All we have to do is look at the line olay in the bowl game!!  

On a side note, am I the only one that is bothered by the fact that Braden Smith is a starting tackle in the NFL?  From the limited games I’ve watched of the Colts he looks to be a damn good one too. It is almost mind blowing to me that we had that kid at AU and nobody tried him at Tackle. 

6 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

It is almost mind blowing to me that we had that kid at AU and nobody tried him at Tackle. 

He did play some tackle at Auburn, though guard was his regular position.

14 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How could an OL coach not have a say in OL targets

Gus has had some ridiculously stupid mistakes occur, but that...I don't even know

You are accepting rumor/slander as fact. If something simply sounds WRONG, it's probably not true. I don't believe that the OL coach dosn't have any input into which OL guys we will sign. Think about what makes sense and what doesn't make sense and then make your own decision.

• Like 2

We better hurry - if u saw that red team last night they have some really incredible youth on that line, size I have never seen before.   KS saw Richts downfall and he is bringing the guys in.   Hate to say but Clay Webb won’t see the field for 3 years.      

13 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

On a side note, am I the only one that is bothered by the fact that Braden Smith is a starting tackle in the NFL?  From the limited games I’ve watched of the Colts he looks to be a damn good one too. It is almost mind blowing to me that we had that kid at AU and nobody tried him at Tackle. 

He was a really, really good guard for us and the interior guys are just as important in Gus's offense as the tackles. 

Put another way, I think I would've replaced Horton with Smith this season before I replaced Wanogho or Driscoll. (And I would've replaced the rotating centers with Dunn- the Jacksonville State transfer- next.)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

He actually was a tackle while JB was here 1st time around as that's where JB always projected him. Hand moved him to OG.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lala said:

KS saw Richts downfall

Speaking solely on Richt's time at UGA what are you saying was his downfall? It wasn't talent aquasition. Kirby had done a better job at recruiting than Richt did but UGA still had real good talent as they were bringing in top 5-8 classes on a yearly basis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Speaking solely on Richt's time at UGA what are you saying was his downfall? It wasn't talent aquasition. Kirby had done a better job at recruiting than Richt did but UGA still had real good talent as they were bringing in top 5-8 classes on a yearly basis.

Yes the mutts never had a talent shortage while Richt was at uga.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think lala might specifically be referring to beef on the OL. I seem to remember uga OLs immediately getting bigger after his arrival. I could be wrong, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1