2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

29 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

can Kendall Simmons be actively involved with recruiting of OL recruits? Did not know if his position allows him to actively recruit.

No. Only on field coaches can actively recruit. The only thing support staffers like KS can do for recruiting is tape scouting & get info on recruits.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

Was listening to college sports channel on Sirius XM radio yesterday.  They were talking recruiting and the subject of AU offensive line recruiting came up.  The discussion was the sad state of our OL recruiting and that we were battling it out with FSU for 2&3 star recruits. After a few comments on how we had not done well the last couple of years in that dept, they ended with FSU would most likely win the current battle.  Such is the state of our OL recruiting.

1 hour ago, SouthGATiger said:

Was listening to college sports channel on Sirius XM radio yesterday.  They were talking recruiting and the subject of AU offensive line recruiting came up.  The discussion was the sad state of our OL recruiting and that we were battling it out with FSU for 2&3 star recruits. After a few comments on how we had not done well the last couple of years in that dept, they ended with FSU would most likely win the current battle.  Such is the state of our OL recruiting.

Si i agree the sad state of AU OL recruiting.....but who was it that said that FSU likely wins the battle? I mean do they have any inside knowledge moreso than what we on this board have? Or are they just blowing smoke out the wazoo and giving personal opinions w/ no legs?

I can't remember the guy's name but he was from some recruiting service,  It wasn't an in depth AU report.  They were just reviewing next week and what teams were after the remaining prospects.

Edited by SouthGATiger

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Guys, it's all gonna be okay. It doesn't matter what coaches, analysts, talk shows or the recruiting reporters think. They are all mistaken.  WE HAVE DEPTH! 

Intellectually speaking they all have depth. Dang sure is not quality depth when it comes to the football field! lol

Next year? We have the depth we need. This OL isn’t going to dominate, but it’s gonna be a good group. With Trox and Hamm providing depth, Center is the only position that concerns me. 

Now, 2020? That’s a mess. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Yup. Probably need to land 5 good high school kids in the 2020 class plus a couple GTs.

Edited by ellitor

43 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Next year? We have the depth we need. This OL isn’t going to dominate, but it’s gonna be a good group. With Trox and Hamm providing depth, Center is the only position that concerns me. 

See my previous statements.

Edited by AUwent

21 minutes ago, AUwent said:

See my previous statements. I really do feel like even if Gus does a great on-the field coaching job in 2019, that he's going to get the axe in 2020. That might not seem fair, but he laid his own bed by re-hiring Grimes.

You act like if Gus will be let go it will be because of JB. It may be a small factor he will be let go eventually if it happens. The bigger reasons will be the mediocre records in all but 2 seasons & not doing a better job with OL & RB recruiting. A lot of that is on Gus & not position coaches like JB because there are a number of good prospects that would have love to come here that Gus did not want to take. The OL issues we are dealing with heavily come from only taking 8 high school OL (We have depth!) the past near 4 classes. There were other quality OL out there. Gus just didn't want to take them. Gus put Hand & JB in a tough spot with OL recruiting.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

You act like if Gus will be let go it will be because of JB. It may be a small factor he will be let go eventually if it happens. The bigger reasons will be the mediocre records in all but 2 seasons & not doing a better job with OL & RB recruiting. A lot of that is on Gus & not position coaches like JB because there are a number of good prospects that would have love to come here that Gus did not want to take. The OL issues we are dealing with heavily come from only taking 8 OL the past near 4 classes. There were other quality OL out there. Gus just didn't want to take them. Gus put Hand & JB in a tough spot with OL recruiting.

Fair point. I'm just saying that he may have to accept the bed he made if we surprise in '19 and still gets let go in '20. Now granted, the former is FAR from guaranteed.

Edited by AUwent

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:
14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

See my previous statements.

We know 

More like

85e0072e-cb37-4eea-a897-e2432f967834_tex

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

There were other quality OL out there. Gus just didn't want to take them.

This sounds more like disgruntled locker room gossip than an actual scenario. The head coach didn't want better prospects? Take a step back and think about this one. It doesn't make any sense.

I didn't even follow recruiting like I usually do this past year but when I looked forward I made a couple of posts last year that our o line and also in-state recruiting was going to be trash this year. It is what it is

14 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Wasn't Irvin recruited as a Center?  Any word on how he developed this past year?  For some reason he just looks like he'd have a mean streak in him that comes out on the field.

Edited by AUatHeart
forgot a word

6 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Wasn't Irvin recruited as a Center?

Yes.

6 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Any word on how he developed this past year?

Haven't seen any.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

This sounds more like disgruntled locker room gossip than an actual scenario. The head coach didn't want better prospects? Take a step back and think about this one. It doesn't make any sense.

I agree with Mikey on this one. The current OL situation is better explained by misevaluatuon of prospects.

Edited by Auskip

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

There you go misinterpreting  & misreading posts again. That was never said nor implied. What has been said, & countless times, is if Gus misses on his top yearly OL wants before this year  he has preferred going the transfer route rather than taking other potentially quality high school OL. Some of us are saying that's a tough way to build a roster.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Auskip said:

The current OL situation is better explained by misevaluatuon of prospects.

Definitely true on some cases but taking only 8 high school OL the past 4 classes doesn't help the matter at all.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Definitely true on some cases but taking only 8 high school OL the past 4 classes doesn't help the matter at all.

And only 2, maybe 3 OT...and CA is up in the air

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Auskip said:

The current OL situation is better explained by misevaluatuon of prospects.

Seems like there has been a lot of that in the past few years(espically in regards to the OL). Sounds like Gus needs to get a new evaluator of talent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Did Gus pass on OLs he could've easily gotten?

Edited by AUwent

42 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Good question...would like to see names, how they were rated and where they ended up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Gus is the dude who totally blundered the recruitment of Jonah Williams a 5 star legacy kid. Slow played the kid. IMAGINE AUBURN OF ALL PLACES slow playing a big time recruit on the OL. EL OH EL. Gus gonna Gus at the end of the day. 

• Like 4