2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

1 minute ago, TigerFanAU said:

leading the SEC is sacks allowed, the constant shuffling of lineman, inability to field THE starting line prior to the first few games.

The discussion is about giving Grimes credit for signing a kid (Kim) who hasn't done anything, not how many sacks we gave up under Hand.  Why should anyone pat Grimes on the back for recruiting and signing Kim?

1 minute ago, metafour said:

The discussion is about giving Grimes credit for signing a kid (Kim) who hasn't done anything, not how many sacks we gave up under Hand.  Why should anyone pat Grimes on the back for recruiting and signing Kim?

When I said eye for talent I was more referring to Grimes being able to see each players strengths and put together a solid o-line during spring/summer, rather than experimenting well into the season. 

1 minute ago, metafour said:

Maybe Grimes knows how to tap Kim's potential that Hand could not do. Gus knows he needs a great tactician with training our linemen to play to their fullest potential.  Grimes is one of the best in the business and we are fortunate to have him. I think he is as good as any of the best in the conference.  I do understand where you are coming from and do appreciate that.  It is just that I have supreme confidence in JB's ability to coach up the linemen so they can perform at a much higher level than in 2017, and I can say that we will see this in 2018.  Watch Texas OL for sacks allowed next season compared to 2017.  I guess if the Good Lord allows us another year, we can come back and revisit this.

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

How does Kim flopping suggest anything about Hand? If anything the much more realistic scenario is that Grimes made the error in judgement, considering that he's the one who recruited and signed the kid who can't get on the field.

Would love to see how you'd spin this if Grimes wasn't the one currently on staff.

A Grimes kid not flourishing under Hand could be a result of any number of things having nothing to do with Grimes's talent evaluation. Not to mention Kim was a highly recruited kid. It's not like he was some diamond in the rough in whom Grimes saw something that nobody else did. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And Braden Smith

Yeah, I was just listing the guys still on campus.

Smith is definitely the feather in Grimes's recruiting cap, especially since he cited Grimes as one of the primary reasons he signed here. 

24 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Maybe Grimes knows how to tap Kim's potential that Hand could not do. Gus knows he needs a great tactician with training our linemen to play to their fullest potential.  Grimes is one of the best in the business and we are fortunate to have him. I think he is as good as any of the best in the conference.  I do understand where you are coming from and do appreciate that.  It is just that I have supreme confidence in JB's ability to coach up the linemen so they can perform at a much higher level than in 2017, and I can say that we will see this in 2018.  Watch Texas OL for sacks allowed next season compared to 2017.  I guess if the Good Lord allows us another year, we can come back and revisit this.

It's called GATA! Lol.  Grimes isn't going to talk recipes or become a social media butterfly.  I think he will get the best out of Kim, Carr and any others and if they don't give max effort then he will make them want to transfer.  I wish I could find the video where Grimes is running drills and he is telling a kid, "Son don't do that again. If you do that again I promise you it will be the last time you do it."

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Would love to see how you'd spin this if Grimes wasn't the one currently on staff.

A Grimes kid not flourishing under Hand could be a result of any number of things having nothing to do with Grimes's talent evaluation. Not to mention Kim was a highly recruited kid. It's not like he was some diamond in the rough in whom Grimes saw something that nobody else did. 

A highly recruited kid who can't even get on the field is most likely an outright recruiting miss.  A kid who disappoints usually at least sees the field in some capacity.  Kim just looks like a flop, which lands at the feet of whoever recruited him.  Pretending like Herb Hand somehow ruined him seems ridiculous; Hand was able to get a no-name transfer to start and play decently well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, metafour said:

A highly recruited kid who can't even get on the field is most likely an outright recruiting miss

i guess the US Army All American game folks missed too.  It happens from time to time. Same with 5* Byron Cowart. Again, my point is that there might be players that are/were being under utilized by Hand and hopefully Grimes creates the o-line units he's put together in the past.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

i guess the US Army All American game folks missed too.  It happens from time to time. Same with 5* Byron Cowart. Again, my point is that there might be players that are/were being under utilized by Hand and hopefully Grimes creates the o-line units he's put together in the past.

Grimes is a Gus crutch hire and is like a very short time solution.

wde

Guy’s,

Kim, Sharpe and Carr are not Going to play SEC level football. Let’s just be real about this. They haven’t played because they are not very good. 

And as I recall the Grimes OL’s were just OK. I do remember Marshall having to run for his life a lot. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Guy’s,

Kim, Sharpe and Carr are not Going to play SEC level football. Let’s just be real about this. They haven’t played because they are not very good. 

And as I recall the Grimes OL’s were just OK. I do remember Marshall having to run for his life a lot. 

A lot of truth to this. We signed what turned out to be 6 OL from the 2015 class. They are all on roster but only getting contributions from 3 of them is not good.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Yep. It seems some only come here to carp.

So are you disputing what WDE is posting?

wde

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

It's called GATA! Lol.  Grimes isn't going to talk recipes or become a social media butterfly.  I think he will get the best out of Kim, Carr and any others and if they don't give max effort then he will make them want to transfer.  I wish I could find the video where Grimes is running drills and he is telling a kid, "Son don't do that again. If you do that again I promise you it will be the last time you do it."

Hey...you are speaking my kind language. Coach Grimes will get the maximum effort out of his linemen. Hand will likely wash out at Texas once they become the worst team with allowing sacks in the little 12!

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

A lot of truth to this. We signed what turned out to be 6 OL from the 2015 class. They are all on roster but only getting contributions from 3 of them is not good.

If there is any potential of SEC caliber from these linemen, Coach Grimes will get it out of them. Grimes is a superior OL coach to Hand in just about every way except for recruiting. I think out OL will be much improved for 2018 over 2017. If we could have had Grimes for this past season, we very well could have made it to the final 4.

Feeling frisky tonight men!  I have been trying to get a call through to Paul Finebaum on his show for the past several months and got through and talked up Auburn football and our recruiting class. I know most folks here do not care for Paul, but I get a kick out of him and take a lot of what he says with a grain of Metamucil!  Auburn gets beat up a good bit on the show, and it felt good to talk up my beloved Auburn Tigers for the 145 seconds I talked to him!

Edited by doc4aday
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hate to bring up an old thread (and Grimes as of now isn’t leaving) but good article on the Athletic regarding difficulties of OL recruiting.

Lot of it is behind a paywall though so get your wallets out folks

https://theathletic.com/720233/2018/12/18/college-football-recruiting-offensive-linemen/

Edited by aujeff11

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hate to bring up an old article (and Grimes as of now isn’t leaving) but good article on the Athletic regarding difficulties of OL recruiting.

https://theathletic.com/720233/2018/12/18/college-football-recruiting-offensive-linemen/

My personal opinion is no site is worth paying for without recruiting being a major factor of the site. Pass.

Would read it though it they started covering recruiting a lot.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My personal opinion is no site is worth paying for without recruiting being a major factor of the site. Pass.

Would read it though it they started covering recruiting a lot.

Haha im not thrilled about paying money but they blow the average fanrag site out the water with their analysis and articles.

Edited by aujeff11
Typo

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hate to bring up an old article (and Grimes as of now isn’t leaving) but good article on the Athletic regarding difficulties of OL recruiting.

It really sums up what I have been preaching for years that we need to do with o-line recruiting.  no fat sloppy bodies, athletic, good feet, look for multi sport guys.  They gotta want it and have a bit of nasty.  We have tended to star chase bad body, poor athletic ability, soft and lazy up front that enjoy recruiting more than being great.

It's difficult to recruit but you need a type and not recruiting rankings

• Like 1