2019 O Line Recruiting

ellitor

Auburn may need to start over signing DT and convert some of them into OT.

Wonder why OL has become such a problem? We've had 2 OL coaches in the last 6 years. 1 in particular was known as a top notch recruiter. And Malzahn's offense is very run heavy so you would think OL would want to play in his offense. So what is the deal here? Every other position we have continued to recruit well and even seem to be recruiting better and better players at. 

19 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Wonder why OL has become such a problem? We've had 2 OL coaches in the last 6 years. 1 in particular was known as a top notch recruiter. And Malzahn's offense is very run heavy so you would think OL would want to play in his offense. So what is the deal here? Every other position we have continued to recruit well and even seem to be recruiting better and better players at. 

Well, for one - that "top notch recruiter" we had in Herb Hand turned out not to be such a great recruiter - he missed on a LOT of really big targets and is a big reason we are in the position we are today. 

I’ll say Texas’ OL looked okay this year. I would bank on this as a peak. Not a building block. His OL looked the same at Penn State as it did at Auburn. Herb Hand is a bad coach. Decent recruiter. Bad coach. 

15 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I’ll say Texas’ OL looked okay this year. I would bank on this as a peak. Not a building block. His OL looked the same at Penn State as it did at Auburn. Herb Hand is a bad coach.BAD recruiter. Bad coach. 

FIFY

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Yes. Even if it means we stop chasing stars. 

Don't know we have been chasing stars on OL recruiting.

28 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Well, for one - that "top notch recruiter" we had in Herb Hand turned out not to be such a great recruiter - he missed on a LOT of really big targets and is a big reason we are in the position we are today. 

JB gets a pass here and it's all on Herb? OK. Lot more to this than "Herb sucks" and it's his fault. It's one man's ault. The one making all of the money. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The he in the above posts is Gus. He & Horton run OL recruiting & evals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Well, for one - that "top notch recruiter" we had in Herb Hand turned out not to be such a great recruiter

He actually is pretty good when he's at a place that gives him a chance to be.

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

is a big reason we are in the position we are today.

Gus is the reason we are in the position we are in today. If Hand had a say in OL recruiting we would have been casting a wider net & gone after & taken guys like Jalen Goss last year

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JB gets a pass here and it's all on Herb? OK. Lot more to this than "Herb sucks" and it's his fault. It's one man's ault. The one making all of the money. 

Not giving JB or our head coach a pass at all - my point is simply that a big reason why we hired Hand was his recruiting ability and he pretty much failed at that. If you look at all of his recruiting misses before he went to Texas, its pretty astonishing just how badly he whiffed on a LOT of big name guys.

16 minutes ago, kd4au said:
32 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

...BAD recruiter

FIFY

Guf had it right the 1st time. Decent recruiter.

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

a big reason why we hired Hand was his recruiting ability

No. Gus hired him because he was in Gus's comfort zone.

he pretty much failed at that

Wasn't really given a chance to succeed.

3 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

f you look at all of his recruiting misses before he went to Texas, its pretty astonishing just how badly he whiffed on a LOT of big name guys.

And it's on Gus & Horton for their evals * OL recruiting game plan.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He actually is pretty good when he's at a place that gives him a chance to be.

Gus is the reason we are in the position we are in today. If Hand had a say in OL recruiting we would have been casting a wider net * gone after * taken guys like Jalen Goss last year

Gus is one of the reasons we are in the situation we are in today - Herb Hand deserves his fair share of the blame too though.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Guf had it right the 1st time. Decent recruiter.

Your being pretty liberal with word decent. I can't say that he was any better than Grimes.  But it doesn't matter we all know we need a elite recruiter not a decent one.

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Gus is one of the reasons we are in the situation we are in today - Herb Hand deserves his fair share of the blame too though.

Not really. With due respect thaitopher you have no idea how much Gus micro manages & handcuffs his offensive assistants. It happens on the recruiting trail too. Listen to WDE. He has more knowledge on this type stuff than we will ever have.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Your being pretty liberal with word decent. I can't say that he was any better than Grimes.  But it doesn't matter we all know we need a elite recruiter not a decent one.

Well at places he has been where his head coaches didn't handcuff him he has been decent.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not really. With due respect thaitopher you have no idea how much Gus micro manages & handcuffs his offensive assistants. It happens on the recruiting trail too. Listen to WDE. He has more knowledge on this type stuff than we will ever have. 

You really need to stop being so condescending - it makes you look like a jackass. And please stop saying "with due respect" - you use it way too much and it actually has the exact opposite effect. There is a way to have disagreements without taking the approach you are taking. 

Edited by thaitopher
  • Facepalm 1

Isn’t the overall consensus that grimes will soon be on the chopping block ? I think we have quiet a bit of stuff to point to to blame with the oline . It starts with strength and conditioning. Our guys zero push. They are not physically capable ,  they are mentally soft and have no aggression. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

You really need to stop being so condescending - it makes you look like a jackass. And please stop saying "with due respect" - you use it way too much and it actually has the exact opposite effect. There is a way to have disagreements without taking the approach you are taking. 

I'm sorry my post comes across as being condascending. I promise you that is not the tone of my posts at all. I am just giving you hard core facts on the structure of our OL recruiting. It's your choice if you want to accept the facts or not & I accept that you won't if that's your choice. And I use "with due respect" and will continue to do so because there are a number of times my posts are misinterpreted, like this case, as condascending when that is not my tone at all. Me saying "With due respect" is basically me saying do not read this post with a condascending tone. Just because society views "with due respect" as condascending doesn't mean that's how I view or communicate it.

In all seriousness welcome back BTW. You have been missed my friend.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Isn’t the overall consensus that grimes will soon be on the chopping block ?

Don't know anymore. He may be back.

23 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

. It starts with strength and conditioning. Our guys zero push

Before that it starts with Gus's evals. Grimes was very unimpressed with the raw talent he inherited when he came back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm sorry my post comes across as being condascending. I promise you that is not the tone of my posts at all. I am just giving you hard core facts on the situation. It's your choice if you want to accept the facts or not & I accept that you won't if that's your choice. And I use "with due respect" and will continue to do so because there are a number of times my posts are misinterpreted, like this case, as condascending when that is not my tone at all. Me saying "With due respect" is basically me saying do not read this post with a condascending tone. Just because society views "with due respect" as condascending doesn't mean that's how I view or communicate it.

In all seriousness welcome back BTW. You have been missed my friend.

Thanks E. I like you and you are a good guy and I believe you come with good intentions, but often times things are more grey than they are black and white. 

Good to be back. I am always here, just not always posting comments.

often times things are more grey than they are black and white. 

Agreed. I edited my post to say facts of our structure on OL recruiting. Hand recruiting abilities is a matter of opinion. I still think he is good when he is not hand cuffed. So far this class he has signed 2 4* OL, 1 of which is a top 50 overall player, & has a commitment from another 4*.