Offseason Coaching Changes

WarEagle2423

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

What some people may not know is that heat pump blows the same temperature of air no matter how high you push the thermostat ( short of kicking the strips on) you should never want those to come on $$$$$!

Yep.....so as long as the air temp exiting the vents is less than 98 or so, it's gonna feel cool/cold.   Not sure what the exit temp is but guessing it must be in the 70s perhaps.  But it's more fun (like now) when there is warm air coming out.....which of course means the e-heat is....but outside temp is 27.  Sitting here with vent under my computer desk.....and really comfy...:)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, alexava said:

What some people may not know is that heat pump blows the same temperature of air no matter how high you push the thermostat ( short of kicking the strips on) you should never want those to come on $$$$$!

Of course the issue is how long it runs.....sometimes on cold days it seems to run around the clock to maintain the 68 we normally set....but the propane is less costly than the elect heat strips at least when you need it.

I replaced a 20 year old unit a couple years ago....the more efficient new HP system made quite a savings in my power bill...surprised me.  

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

We are in what they call the thermal belt....that 5 miles  from Saluda makes a world of difference in our weather....but you never know.  Much less snow and ice here. 

We are supposed to get 1-3 inches of ice and snow Saturday night into Sunday AM before it changes to all rain. I love the snow, but it is hell to shovel on my driveway in that it is steep. If you have not heard of them, you need to get some. I am talking about "Yax-trax" These fit on the bottom of your shoes to keep you from falling down when walking on ice and snow. They work very well and are worth every penny. They run about $15.00 and up.  I used to fall down all of the time and got a concussion from falling down. I will never get in a situation like this again! Yax Trax are a must!

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

We are supposed to get 1-3 inches of ice and snow Saturday night into Sunday AM before it changes to all rain. I love the snow, but it is hell to shovel on my driveway in that it is steep. If you have not heard of them, you need to get some. I am talking about "Yax-trax" These fit on the bottom of your shoes to keep you from falling down when walking on ice and snow. They work very well and are worth every penny. They run about $15.00 and up.  I used to fall down all of the time and got a concussion from falling down. I will never get in a situation like this again! Yax Trax are a must!

I'll take a look but I have a level driveway and my usual solution during snow/ice  which we have maybe twice or 3 times per year at most....is stay home.  I'm more concerned about the three miles of twisty road with unbanked curves between here and town, than getting from my drive to the road which is short and flat.   Fortunately we rarely have anything that requires us to go out in dangerous weather...   Hope your day is manageable tomorrow night. 

42 minutes ago, alexava said:

Bingo Alex. "green light on" the meter is in high gear. heat pumps are great until extreme cold then inefficient.  

On 2/1/2018 at 8:35 PM, AU64 said:

My wife hates the heat pump....she like warm air coming from the vents....so she is happier when the temp is 30 outside than when it's 40 outside.....and I have to keep an eye on her to keep her from kicking the e-heat on manually to get the warm air. 

Like now....auto "heat" is running,..... temp outside is 50 and thermostat is on 68 and she is cold because of cold' air coming out of the vents....:-\

Same with my wife. Fortunately, we use a wood heater on all cold days, the heat pump only comes into play when it's above 55 degrees and below 70 outside. Of course, heating with wood requires trees, chain saws, a wood splitter a shed for storage and a truck. Since I have all these things and live on a farm with lots of timber, it's not a problem for us. I don't think it would pay to install a wood heater and buy wood, but the heat sure is constant and very nice. She likes it around 76 or 77 degrees inside. I have learned something...a warm wife is more inclined to cook. I keep the house warm! :)

It may seem weird to some but I actually enjoy cutting and splitting wood. Never used a splitter though. Just an ax and wedge. 

Should we change the title of this thread to "Off season Weather Changes" now?

I'm actually jealous reading these posts.  I am one of the (apparently) few who actually likes all 4 seasons.  I enjoy a few months of cold weather.

My wife convinced me to move to SW Fla 11+ years ago and we have 4 seasons alright....

Summer, Summer, Milder Summer, More Summer.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm actually jealous reading these posts.  I am one of the (apparently) few who actually likes all 4 seasons.  I enjoy a few months of cold weather.

My wife convinced me to move to SW Fla 11+ years ago and we have 4 seasons alright....

I like the mixture of weather too. I could take our October/November all year though. In north alabama and the heat stroke weather lasts too long for my preference. But yes it could be moved and renamed.

Saw the thread was updated and got excited thinking there was some news about coaching changes.  I pull up the thread and all the posts were about the weather and heat pumps.  Oh well, guess I'll go back to sleep.:bow:

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

Saw the thread was updated and got excited thinking there was some news about coaching changes.  I pull up the thread and all the posts were about the weather and heat pumps.  Oh well, guess I'll go back to sleep.:bow:

This could be educational, economical information to some. 

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

Thought we would talk about something else until some news broke..?  but check back again later.

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I would swap with you. About three days of winter and I begin to wonder why I left the Gulf coast. But, a summer with only a hand full of days over 90 each month is pretty good.

5 hours ago, alexava said:

It may seem weird to some but I actually enjoy cutting and splitting wood. Never used a splitter though. Just an ax and wedge. 

I enjoy the work too, just take my time and work on pleasant days outdoors. I always work up next winter's wood the previous February and March, so I'll be getting started on next year's supply in a few days. The weather is cool and by the time the wood gets burned it is well seasoned..

The older one gets, the more one appreciates a hydraulic wood splitter!

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I would swap with you. About three days of winter and I begin to wonder why I left the Gulf coast. But, a summer with only a hand full of days over 90 each month is pretty good.

What part of the Gulf Coast you leave?  I ask because the Panhandle would actually not be too bad.  I notice the weather patterns up there seem to include cooler weather (growing up, we loved Gulf Shores).

We're down between Sarasota & Ft. Myers and they have actual police who's job is to arrest Jack Frost on site.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

What part of the Gulf Coast you leave?  I ask because the Panhandle would actually not be too bad.  I notice the weather patterns up there seem to include cooler weather (growing up, we loved Gulf Shores).

We're down between Sarasota & Ft. Myers and they have actual police who's job is to arrest Jack Frost on site.

Baldwin county....  grew up there and planned to retire there but kids and grandkids in NC  ...so here I am

7 hours ago, alexava said:

No splitting maul??

6 hours ago, alexava said:

I like the mixture of weather too. I could take our October/November all year though. In north alabama and the heat stroke weather lasts too long for my preference. But yes it could be moved and renamed.

I am in upstate SC - only a few miles from NC - at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains at 1,300 ft.  I love our climate.  The best thing is Spring and Fall last as long as Winter and Summer.  My wife grew up in South Florida and prefers the seasonal changes as well.  We heat solely with wood but have a heat pump for the hottest weather.  A pool helps with the summer heat. 

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Same with my wife. Fortunately, we use a wood heater on all cold days, the heat pump only comes into play when it's above 55 degrees and below 70 outside. Of course, heating with wood requires trees, chain saws, a wood splitter a shed for storage and a truck. Since I have all these things and live on a farm with lots of timber, it's not a problem for us. I don't think it would pay to install a wood heater and buy wood, but the heat sure is constant and very nice. She likes it around 76 or 77 degrees inside. I have learned something...a warm wife is more inclined to cook. I keep the house warm! :)

Nothing is cozier that a wood stove.  It's messy though. Not a good fit with carpets.

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

No splitting maul??

I had one many years ago. Don’t know what happened to it. Two winters as a teenager I sold firewood. I got 30$ a load for a Chevrolet S10 that was pretty good especially if I could drive right up to it. I had a rich woman ( a couple but dealt with the woman) who paid 50$ but wanted it all cut short and split. They kept me pretty busy. 

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Baldwin county....  grew up there and planned to retire there but kids and grandkids in NC  ...so here I am

Yes, I can see that area being a nice compromise for the wife & I.  Quite a bit cooler than down here actually.

I understand about the kids & grandkids though.  They are why we have so many snowbirds here...

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

I had one many years ago. Don’t know what happened to it. Two winters as a teenager I sold firewood. I got 30$ a load for a Chevrolet S10 that was pretty good especially if I could drive right up to it. I had a rich woman ( a couple but dealt with the woman) who paid 50$ but wanted it all cut short and split. They kept me pretty busy. 

They still make them you know. ;)

I cut about two to three cords a year and typically avoid really large trees unless they are blowdowns or otherwise need to come down.

I've considered a splitter, but to me, the actual splitting using a maul is the easy part.  You still have to handle the wood.  The biggest labor saver I have is a tractor with a loader.  Couldn't do without that.

Oh, I should mention, if you get a maul, avoid the fiberglass handles.  They are sturdier, but the shock absorption of a wooden handle is well worth the hassle of occasionally needing to replace one.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

They still make them you know. ;)

I cut about two to three cords a year and typically avoid really large trees unless they are blowdowns or otherwise need to come down.

I've considered a splitter, but to me, the actual splitting using a maul is the easy part.  You still have to handle the wood.  The biggest labor saver I have is a tractor with a loader.  Couldn't do without that.

I cut maybe a truckload a year now. Nobody in my family burns for heat but we all have outdoor fire pits. I usually just stop on side of road where I see fallen trees or dead limbs that are seasoned already. Just a 14” Echo saw and a couple axes and hatchets. 

Lets get back to talking about any chance of any coaching changes being made after signing day. We a Special Teams coach on the field.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, I can see that area being a nice compromise for the wife & I.  Quite a bit cooler than down here actually.

I understand about the kids & grandkids though.  They are why we have so many snowbirds here...

We were in Fairhope....great town....has some winter but not much of it....a nice little town, good amenities

Archived