Last AU drafted player was in 01. Wiley next?

GwillMac6

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I and others care because we want him to come back next year because he alleviates our 1 major weakness as a team.

This barring a big time GT big man from a smaller or less succesful school wanting to come in & help us make a deep tourney run

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/17/2018 at 3:02 AM, alexava said:

One of the only times I felt Ellis did a good coaching job. That offense he put in the sweet 16..ran through MD looking very organized not just pass around and shoot. We made a nice run, gave Syracuse a game. 

My memory, right or wrong, was we go to the finals in any other bracket ... probably still lose to ‘cuse.  They were destined that year.

On 1/17/2018 at 8:35 PM, NoALtiger said:

Must recruit some dang height. Soon as possible as far as I’m concerned. 

Well we did pick up a commitment from a 4 star 6'8 PF a while back, I recall.

On 1/17/2018 at 9:32 PM, GwillMac6 said:

So true. Bama had from what I could see a perfect gameplan. We did not get any good looks from three hardly in the second half. I am not going to lie. I am skuuuuurrrrred. We do not know how a loss is going to effect us. This game saturday just became a really big game. We need it to get momentum back.

Was very surprised to see UGA didn’t use the same defensive approach that Bama did.  Ba gave them the blueprint on how to beat AU.  Defend the perimeter and make them drive.  AU seems to struggle with the midrange jumper and would rather drive to the basket, and doing that against bigger teams like Bama did not work well.  AU would either get called for a charge, get the ball blocked or miss.  

What a second half AU had against UGA. It was one heckuva turnaround.

19 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Was very surprised to see UGA didn’t use the same defensive approach that Bama did.  Ba gave them the blueprint on how to beat AU.  Defend the perimeter and make them drive.  AU seems to struggle with the midrange jumper and would rather drive to the basket, and doing that against bigger teams like Bama did not work well.  AU would either get called for a charge, get the ball blocked or miss.  

What a second half AU had against UGA. It was one heckuva turnaround.

Playing in Auburn Arena has an impact on that.

Also the game was being called tighter. When Auburn drove in the bama game they were getting mugged.  Also in the second half against Georgia we were hitting the threes even with a hand in our faces and Georgia didn't have much depth so seemed to get tired.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft Latest Mock updated yesterday has Wiley going 28th. No other AU players predicted in the first or second rounds.

6 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I think Mustapha Heron could be up there if he were more aggressive as a player

I think he would be BUT my  guess is the ascension of bryce brown and jared harper made it where he does not have to.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think he would be BUT my  guess is the ascension of bryce brown and jared harper made it where he does not have to.

True. The opposite of other players. He's playing within the system 

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

True. The opposite of other players. He's playing within the system 

our stars are team players!!! It is a beautiful thing. Last year purifoy way to often went in to business for himself......

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

our stars are team players!!! It is a beautiful thing. Last year purifoy way to often went in to business for himself......

True dat

On 1/28/2018 at 12:03 AM, GwillMac6 said:

I think that could be said for everyone last year. Including our current stars IMO

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I think that could be said for everyone last year. Including our current stars IMO

Not Dunnans.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not Dunnans.

Part of me wishes that TJ Dunnans was part of this team.  He deserves some credit for helping to set the foundation for this year’s success.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not Dunnans.

Sorry, my post was not clear. My reply was to @GwillMac6's comment about Danjel going into business for himself too often last season. That comment I felt like could be applied to everyone last year.

Everyone is playing much better team ball this year and the results speak for themselves.

36 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Part of me wishes that TJ Dunnans was part of this team.  He deserves some credit for helping to set the foundation for this year’s success.

If he were, we wouldn't be close to where we are at.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Sorry, my post was not clear. My reply was to @GwillMac6's comment about Danjel going into business for himself too often last season. That comment I felt like could be applied to everyone last year.

Everyone is playing much better team ball this year and the results speak for themselves.

That is true but I felt like he was the ringleader of it. He had the worst defensive habits on the team last year. He was so dreadful on that side of the floor. Wiley is a big loss for sure for us BUT is purifoy really. Seems like it is addition by subtraction when it comes to him. I think he was a bad influence on the freshmen.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is true but I felt like he was the ringleader of it. He had the worst defensive habits on the team last year. He was so dreadful on that side of the floor. Wiley is a big loss for sure for us BUT is purifoy really. Seems like it is addition by subtraction when it comes to him. I think he was a bad influence on the freshmen.

I may be attacked here for this but I thought the ringleader of bad shots last year was Jared Harper. He would come down and shoot a Steph Curry-esque shot with 27, 26 left on the shot clock 5-6x a game it seemed like. Maybe it sticks out more when your PG is doing it but it sets the tone IMO especially when everyone is basically a freshman/soph out there. I also thought Bryce, Heron, Dunans, and of course Danjel all took wayyyy too many bad shots last year, and very early in the shot clock.

I'll agree Danjel's defense may have been the worst of everyone. And maybe I'm an optimist here, and I know we've touched on this before, but I think Danjel would've shown the same maturity and growth in his game as everyone else did from last year to this year. We will never know for sure though. I sure as hell didn't think I'd see this large of a jump in productivity and efficiency as I have from Bryce and Harper this year, but experience is a hell of a teacher.

Honestly, TJ Dunans was also really selfish (especially for a senior) so we had 4 of our 5 starters selfish as hell last season and then Wiley who our entire team would forget about for long stretches. We would get it to him down low on the first few possessions then we would forget about him.

Semi-related note: Bruce could've started Ronnie Johnson last year and our record might have been better by a game or 2 getting us into the NIT. But had he done that, I seriously doubt we get such intelligent PG play out of Harper this year. He learned through all the fire last season and we are exponentially better for it this year. I'm so thankful for that because then our options at the most important position would be a first time starter in Jared and then a true-FR in Davion (who has been great in his role for us this year, btw -- I love how solid our PG play is going to be for the next 4 years minimum.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I may be attacked here for this but I thought the ringleader of bad shots last year was Jared Harper. He would come down and shoot a Steph Curry-esque shot with 27, 26 left on the shot clock 5-6x a game it seemed like. Maybe it sticks out more when your PG is doing it but it sets the tone IMO especially when everyone is basically a freshman/soph out there. I also thought Bryce, Heron, Dunans, and of course Danjel all took wayyyy too many bad shots last year, and very early in the shot clock.

I'll agree Danjel's defense may have been the worst of everyone. And maybe I'm an optimist here, and I know we've touched on this before, but I think Danjel would've shown the same maturity and growth in his game as everyone else did from last year to this year. We will never know for sure though. I sure as hell didn't think I'd see this large of a jump in productivity and efficiency as I have from Bryce and Harper this year, but experience is a hell of a teacher.

Honestly, TJ Dunans was also really selfish (especially for a senior) so we had 4 of our 5 starters selfish as hell last season and then Wiley who our entire team would forget about for long stretches. We would get it to him down low on the first few possessions then we would forget about him.

Semi-related note: Bruce could've started Ronnie Johnson last year and our record might have been better by a game or 2 getting us into the NIT. But had he done that, I seriously doubt we get such intelligent PG play out of Harper this year. He learned through all the fire last season and we are exponentially better for it this year. I'm so thankful for that because then our options at the most important position would be a first time starter in Jared and then a true-FR in Davion (who has been great in his role for us this year, btw -- I love how solid our PG play is going to be for the next 4 years minimum.

O no argument from me. Harper took a ton of bad shots last year. He honestly in my mind was the second biggest culprit of it behind purifoy. He honestly still takes way to many nba threes BUT HE HE HAS *KNOCK ON WOOD* Been making more of them this season!!! lol WOOOOO!!!!!

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

If he were, we wouldn't be close to where we are at.

That’s probably true, but the guy played his heart out for Auburn with little to show for it.    It’d be nice if he could have been part of a team that at least saw some postseason action.  Ah, well, I’m sure he’s enjoying the success they’re having now at least as much as the rest of us fans are with the added bonus that he knows and played with most of this year’s key players.

6 hours ago, triangletiger said:

That’s probably true, but the guy played his heart out for Auburn with little to show for it.    It’d be nice if he could have been part of a team that at least saw some postseason action.  Ah, well, I’m sure he’s enjoying the success they’re having now at least as much as the rest of us fans are with the added bonus that he knows and played with most of this year’s key players.

What we're trying to tell you TT is TD was a derisive element on the team last season & a huge reason we didn't make the post season. W/ that said, I hope he is doing well & has matured some a good bit.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

What we're trying to tell you TT is TD was a derisive element on the team last season & a huge reason we didn't make the post season. W/ that said, I hope he is doing well & has matured some a good bit.

I understand.

Brewer would thrive in today's game and he was easiest the fastest player I've ever matched up with. Oh he was good. He wasn't the best shooter but he was good. Coincidentally the best shooter I've seen at Auburn was a guy that walked on for a minute named Jonathan Lewis. But don't sell brewer short, there was a reason NBA teams wanted him, particularly Larry Bird loved him. I have yet to see a more talented PG than him at the school

On 2/3/2018 at 10:23 PM, cole256 said:

Brewer would thrive in today's game and he was easiest the fastest player I've ever matched up with. Oh he was good. He wasn't the best shooter but he was good. Coincidentally the best shooter I've seen at Auburn was a guy that walked on for a minute named Jonathan Lewis. But don't sell brewer short, there was a reason NBA teams wanted him, particularly Larry Bird loved him. I have yet to see a more talented PG than him at the school

Appreciate the insight for real man.

Archived