JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

Former Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes has been hired to return to coach the Tigers' offensive line, announced head coach Gus Malzahn Wednesday. Grimes, who coached at Auburn from 2013-15, helped the Tigers to the 2013 Southeastern Conference Championship and a BCS Championship berth. That season Auburn became the first program in SEC history to lead the nation in rushing. Grimes replaces Herb Hand who resigned to accept another position.

"I'm really excited about the opportunity to get back to the Plains," Grimes said. "I've always loved Auburn and have always loved the people at Auburn. They are my type of people. Auburn people love the game of football and know what it takes to win. I can't wait to get back and work with Coach Malzahn and the rest of the coaches and staff that I know and have worked with before. I hold them dear to my heart. I look forward to getting to work and doing my part to help Auburn win football games."

A coaching veteran of over 30 years, Grimes has coached in 18 bowl games and mentored over 50 players that have played in the National Football League. In his three years at Auburn, the Tigers offense averaged 261.7 yards rushing, 453.3 yards of total offense and 34.2 points per contest.

"It's great to have J.B. Grimes returning to the Auburn family," Malzahn said. "He played a big part in our success in 2013 when we won the SEC Championship and led the nation in rushing. J.B. is a tremendous coach and teacher, is familiar with our players and coaches, and is a great addition to our program."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011718aaa.html

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Gus push him out last time?  He was better than Hand, but I would have liked for Gus to hire someone other than a retread.

wde

Kind of underwhelming. 

Good news. Maybe Gus figured out the old saying "don't know what ya got til it's gone". I for one am happy to have a good ol instructor back.

18 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Didn't Gus push him out last time?  He was better than Hand, but I would have liked for Gus to hire someone other than a retread.

wde

There was never any real clarity into why he left the last time. Gus wanting to work with Hand seemed to be a piece of the puzzle, but Grimes wanting to work with his son was also, definitely a factor. As I recall, he was also dealing with cancer at the time.  I can attest to the fact that taking the pressure off for a while, after dealing with that, is pretty important.

I, for one, don't mind this "retread". Grimes never produced a bad line for us. Maybe Gus felt, by bringing in a 10th assistant who is a solid recruiter, that he could focus on an instructor in the O-Line coach roll.

Didn't JB leave to go coach with his son?  It seems as though, at the time, he needed/wanted a break from the grind of big-time college football.  Does he still have the fire in his belly to coach at this level? 

I'm just speculating, but he may be a stop-gap for a year to allow Gus time to hire a good replacement OL coach.  He may just be coming back as a favor to Gus.   

Just now, auburnphan said:

While I like Grimes, this is a meh hire in my opinion

This is the way I feel as well.

wde

Grimes is definitely better than Hand. Anyone know if his son is tagging along since that was the only reason he stated for his departure?

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Didn't JB leave to go coach with his son?  It seems as though, at the time, he needed/wanted a break from the grind of big-time college football.  Does he still have the fire in his belly to coach at this level? 

I'm just speculating, but he may be a stop-gap for a year to allow Gus time to hire a good replacement OL coach.  He may just be coming back as a favor to Gus.   

Decent speculation. That makes sense.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No kind about it. Awful hire. Can't recruit and that is one of our main problems with the OL. Gus has learned nothing. 

A very lazy hire by Gus

13 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Looks like Toomer's has been rolled upon hearing the news.  Check it out:

DTvlK-_V4AEHDtJ.jpg-large.jpeg

Cool?

I'm down with this hire.  He's not the best recruiter, but dude can flat coach an o-line.  Fully expect us to be more aggressive there next year and keep Stidham upright.

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No kind about it. Awful hire. Can't recruit and that is one of our main problems with the OL. Gus has learned nothing. 

Also why Gus helpoed him find a nice landing spot in Cincy. I guess with having a new additional assistant that can recruit the thinking would appear to be JB coach, tell us who you want, & the rest of us will get you the players to coach.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

A very lazy hire by Gus

And Gus had a open checkbook to hire anyone. Could have paid 750K or more a year. And BOOM, this. Pathetic.  Was hoping we were getting the uga and uat Gus. But we are getting the UCF Gus. 

Archived