JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

Not surprised after seeing elsewhere earlier that he resigned from UConn...

Better than Hand, I suppose.  Hopefully Garner takes on OL recruiting and at least Grimes seemed to be a decent coach, first go 'round...

Not thrilled but alas, I guess I'm just waiting for Gus to fool me a 4th time...  One of these days maybe he'll fool me in a GOOD way.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously thought Grimes was about to retire. I am not impressed. I know he can coach but we need the Jimmys and Joes that have the natural abilities. Converting D-lineman to play LT is not going to get us where we all want the team to be.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Also why Gus helpoed him find a nice landing spot in Cincy. I guess with having a new additional assistant that can recruit the thinking would appear to be JB coach & the rest of us will get you the players to coach.

JB was having a hard time keeping up and couldn't do the workload last time. Don't see that changing this time. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And Gus had a open checkbook to hire anyone. Could have paid 750K or more a year. And BOOM, this. Pathetic.  Was hoping we were getting the uga and uat Gus. But we are getting the UCF Gus. 

I thought the UCF Gus just left for Texas?  That's the positive in all of this.

The only thing I have against Grimes is missing on getting Martez Ivey and Jonah Williams.  Martez would've been huge to have in 2017.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JB was having a hard time keeping up and couldn't do the workload last time. Don't see that changing this time. 

I don't either which is why I said I guess the rest of the staff now may be recruiting for him.

11 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Didn't JB leave to go coach with his son?  It seems as though, at the time, he needed/wanted a break from the grind of big-time college football.  Does he still have the fire in his belly to coach at this level? 

I'm just speculating, but he may be a stop-gap for a year to allow Gus time to hire a good replacement OL coach.  He may just be coming back as a favor to Gus.   

I'm going to wrap myself up in this theory like a warm blanket and think happy thoughts.

Kim, Sharp, Carr and those guys will be happy about this. 

10 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Grimes is definitely better than Hand. Anyone know if his son is tagging along since that was the only reason he stated for his departure?

His son is an on-the-field coach at Campbell University. Even thought that's a nothing school, I doubt he'd be willing to leave for an off-field position.

Just now, AUDevil said:

The only thing I have against Grimes is missing on getting Martez Ivey and Jonah Williams.

Didn't even give it a real try on that one either. Still bugs me.

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He was also coming off of cancer treatment when he left... just sayin'.

15 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Didn't JB leave to go coach with his son?  It seems as though, at the time, he needed/wanted a break from the grind of big-time college football.  Does he still have the fire in his belly to coach at this level? 

I'm just speculating, but he may be a stop-gap for a year to allow Gus time to hire a good replacement OL coach.  He may just be coming back as a favor to Gus.   

Yeah.  He may be a one and done.  He will be an improvement, but I don't see this as a long term solution.  They are probably writing off this years OL recruiting.

12 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And Gus had a open checkbook to hire anyone. Could have paid 750K or more a year. And BOOM, this. Pathetic.  Was hoping we were getting the uga and uat Gus. But we are getting the UCF Gus. 

For all we know, Auburn was turned down by the guys you want. It was between Grimes and lesser than guys. 

IMO, Grimes is a very good coach. A technician that makes his players better. That said, we are going to need some help with recruiting.  Maybe the next Offensive coach will be a HR recruiter that can cover some OL recruiting.

20 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is my fear as well.  It started with the SECCG and has continued since.  Seems like once Gus knew AU was going to cave when he flirted with Arky, that Gus has reverted back to where he was when we were "fine" at halftime of the LSU game and it was not the end of the world that we lost that game.  Looks like it is going to be a long 3 years.  But I will hold out hope that I am wrong and Gus will unleash Hell when we play Washington to open the season.  

wde

Or maybe Gus’s was looking at all the OL talent sitting on our bench that were doing so bad that fans actually thought we had no talent, and decided to hire back a coach he knew could teach how to be great lineman like GR and SC. I like the hire. I don’t think Gus fired JB I think with the cancer scare JB decide to reconsider his priorities like spending time with his son. Also I think that a few are forgetting that Chip spent time with JB while he was here for his GA days. Maybe JB was actually Chip’s choice. Anyway I like it for the near future. I would be willing to bet that our OL will totally shock most of you next year. They will be very good and JB will be a big part of that. 

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

IMO, Grimes is a very good coach. A technician that makes his players better. That said, we are going to need some help with recruiting.  Maybe the next Offensive coach will be a HR recruiter that can cover some OL recruiting.

Is this eminent?  Please give us some Bird Droppings.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And this too....

"Auburn's offensive line flourished under Grimes' leadership, helping lead one of the SEC's top rushing attacks from 2013-15. Auburn was the first team in SEC history to lead the nation in rushing in 2013 and was in the top four of the conference in fewest sacks allowed during his three years coaching the offensive line."

Can't knock results.

Now on the recruiting front, coaching staffs have helped shore up great field coaches(who don't recruit well)  with added recruiting responsibilities.....

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this eminent?  Please give us some Bird Droppings.

Absolutely no bird droppings. There is already to much BS on this board as it is. We can not tolerate any more crap. Lol

Sorry to see some of the insiders down on this hire - from my very non-insider perspective, I think it's great!  He always seemed to do a great job coaching players up, and our O-line was a strength while he was here.  He hit the ground at AU in 2013, and our O-line that year deserved a lot of credit for the all of the success in the run game (though I know the zone read takes one DE out of the play when run well, like Marshall did).

Hearing all this negative talk about his recruiting - didn't he pull in Braden Smith?  Might be misremembering.

Either way, I think this is big upgrade and I'm very happy that we made a change at this position specifically.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

My point still stands. 

I don't think it does... Speaking from experience, cancer treatment, even when it doesn't have a lot of side effects, knocks you on your ass, and it takes months to get back to 100%.  His energy levels could be light years better than what they were when he left.

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Do you think JB is that bad of a recruiter? I know he may not be as good a RG or T-Will or some of those guys but Hand wasn't exactly burning up the recruiting trail either. Not sure we are losing much on the recruiting side but think we are gaining a lot on the coaching side.

Just now, kd4au said:

Do you think JB is that bad of a recruiter? I know he may not be as good a RG or T-Will or some of those guys but Hand wasn't exactly burning up the recruiting trail either. Not sure we are losing much on the recruiting side but think we are gaining a lot on the coaching side.

I think the point people are trying to make, which is entirely valid, is that we need to stock-up on recruiters if we want to keep up with the Joneses who are, somehow, managing to recruit at levels unseen in college football.

35 minutes ago, shabby said:

Great Hire. Didn't Grimes put some really great units on the field?

Better than the ones since.

Maybe could've done better with the hire, but I don't see this as being as terrible as some. If Grimes is healthy, he gives our guys a pretty good chance of being ready to play football by Labor Day. Also, he recruited several guys- Kim, Carr, Sharp, Harrell and Horton- currently on the team. They'll respond to him positively. 

Archived