JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think it does... Speaking from experience, cancer treatment, even when it doesn't have a lot of side effects, knocks you on your ass, and it takes months to get back to 100%.  His energy levels could be light years better than what they were when he left.

You sir are 100% right about the cancer treatments. My wife had chemo 5 years ago and still is not back to normal. I don't know what type of treatments JB had but some of that chemo is nasty business. By the way I hope you are doing well.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think the point people are trying to make, which is entirely valid, is that we need to stock-up on recruiters if we want to keep up with the Joneses who are, somehow, managing to recruit at levels unseen in college football.

You need recruiters but you also have to have some coaches that know how to coach.

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Do you think JB is that bad of a recruiter? I know he may not be as good a RG or T-Will or some of those guys but Hand wasn't exactly burning up the recruiting trail either. Not sure we are losing much on the recruiting side but think we are gaining a lot on the coaching side.

I would say he is an average to above average recruiter.  I'm not too disappointed in the hire, he is a very good coach that can and will develop our talent and have them ready. He also will bring back that nasty streak we've been missing.

It’s funny how within the first day of Malzahn hiring any coach everyone thinks it’s the end of the world because it’s a bad hire.  And then a day or so later everyone is saying “Oh now I see why he was brought on.  Good hire.”

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this eminent?  Please give us some Bird Droppings.

There is strong possibility a couple others may leave before spring.

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

You need recruiters but you also have to have some coaches that know how to coach.

Hence all of the discussion about "can recruit/can't develop."  I'm going to take a not-so-wild guess that younger coaches appeal to younger generations when it comes to recruiting, but the emotional stability and seasoned-ness of older coaches appeal to their PARENTS!  Could be an ideally great tag-team mix, and his productive-on-field record could plug the mystifying holes that exist with bringing the "on-paper predictions" of the J and J's to actual success.  

4 minutes ago, kd4au said:

You sir are 100% right about the cancer treatments. My wife had chemo 5 years ago and still is not back to normal. I don't know what type of treatments JB had but some of that chemo is nasty business. By the way I hope you are doing well.

There are many types of cancer, some can simply can be removed, I believe that is what happened with Grimes.

A VERY good hire IMHO. The man can flat out Coach!!! Definitely a better OL coach than HH. W D E !!! Made my day!!

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think it does... Speaking from experience, cancer treatment, even when it doesn't have a lot of side effects, knocks you on your ass, and it takes months to get back to 100%.  His energy levels could be light years better than what they were when he left.

I'm going to second that. I witnessed the effects myself on my old boss. Dude was full of energy and non-stop and then the treatments came and he probably wasn't even 50% during those months and probably 3-4 months after. It takes a lot out of you.

Safe hire and I’m fine with it. Obviously some folks are piling on the “can’t recruit train” but no one is saying he can’t coach. Even by today’s standard that has to mean something and I’d like to think Gus has a plan in regards to this. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until otherwise proved wrong. 

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I gotta disagree, you can't lump all cancer treatments as being as rough as yours.  While treatment can be what you dealt with there are also very, as doctors would say, simple procedures for some types of cancerous cells.  I find all the procedures that they do to be amazing, personally.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I would say he is an average to above average recruiter.  I'm not too disappointed in the hire, he is a very good coach that can and will develop our talent and have them ready. He also will bring back that nasty streak we've been missing.

Can't be said enough. 

19 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Absolutely!

Earlier, I stated I'm "okay" with it (as opposed to loving it) but truthfully it comes down to what some others have said regarding his energy level (post cancer) or desire (thought he'd retire, etc).

Frankly, I'm a little tired of seeing AU have top 5-10 classes every year only to have certain positions or position groups underperforming.  That's been my gripe with Hand all along... Great that he got "Big *" talent to sign but what about actually coaching them up....or at least to their potential?

Maybe this is Gus' or CCL's philosophy with this hire?  I don't know, but I will give him (Grimes, not Gus) the benefit of the doubt.

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There is strong possibility a couple others may leave before spring.

3 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I believe you are correct sir.

Who all is a possibility here? Hopefully none of our good guys.

I would guess Horton and possibly Kodi? Maybe Porter but I'd expect Gus to do all he can to keep Porter around for his recruiting abilities. If Horton were to leave, Porter would likely move to RBs coach since that's what he has the most experience doing. Not sure why Kodi would leave unless he was being made an OC somewhere (not happening yet) or he was getting forced out/reassigned. Anyway, just speculation but I know Horton has looked around in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

Grimes is/was an excellent coach!  As stated by several already, we’ll need to compensate on the recruiting trail.  But having an OL performing at a very high level makes everyone else look better, which makes recruiting every position on the O easier.  

As for other coaches leaving, it’s already been stated several times that Horton would jump ship given the opportunity.  He would be my first guess.  Porter is still new and Kodi is Chip’s boy. 

I liked the O line when Grimes came in and coached  and i was sad when i heard he left or was forced to leave (from what i could gather)   Damn happy to have him back.   

I will take a technician over a recruiter any day. Anyhow, we have enough recruiters. Chizik thought he could live off of recruiters until we saw how underwhelming our players were technique-wise. Send some talker with him during recruiting visits and let the man go to work with the teaching 

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I gotta disagree, you can't lump all cancer treatments as being as rough as yours.  While treatment can be what you dealt with there are also very, as doctors would say, simple procedures for some types of cancerous cells.  I find all the procedures that they do to be amazing, personally.

Dude... my cancer treatment was a cakewalk. I had no major side effects (which is not common for the drugs I was on). Still, according to my oncologist, all chemo/radiation is hard on the body and drains you. It's also mentally and emotionally exhausting. 

I totally agree that it's amazing, especially compared to what it was just a few years ago.

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Reese was one of the nastiest guys we've had in the Malzahn era. I'd take 5 more like him. I think he's being kind with the word "tenacity". Cubelic also tweeted that Grimes would bring the "toughness" back. Like many Gus hires, I grow more encouraged by the hour. 

8 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I would guess Horton and possibly Kodi? Maybe Porter but I'd expect Gus to do all he can to keep Porter around for his recruiting abilities. If Horton were to leave, Porter would likely move to RBs coach since that's what he has the most experience doing. Not sure why Kodi would leave unless he was being made an OC somewhere (not happening yet) or he was getting forced out/reassigned. Anyway, just speculation but I know Horton has looked around in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

The thing with Horton is that he doesn't look around, he just frequently gets offered interviews for promotions, because he is quietly one of the best in the business. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Reese was one of the nastiest guys we've had in the Malzahn era. I'd take 5 more like him. I think he's being kind with the word "tenacity". Cubelic also tweeted that Grimes would bring the "toughness" back. Like many Gus hires, I grow more encouraged by the hour. 

Yes, Gus' Off Seasons are often impressive.  :-\

Archived