JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

I know he probably won't say anything, out of respect, but I would love to hear what Smith has to say, since he played under Grimes and Hand.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Go from a coach who was 112th in the country giving up sacks to a coach that was 110th in the country giving up sacks. And that was UCONN's monster schedule.  

Or who was 28th in the country the last time he coached at Auburn. 

**oops... 36th... I was looking at the wrong year. Point still stands***

5 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Yeah - No offense to WDE and other insiders who are cold on this hire, but I'll put more stock in what Slade, Dismukes and Cubelic are saying. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Go from a coach who was 112th in the country giving up sacks to a coach that was 110th in the country giving up sacks. And that was UCONN's monster schedule.  

That's a negative way to look at it.  Former players seem to love this hire.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

That's a negative way to look at it.  Former players seem to love this hire.

How often do former players talk down the re-hiring of their former coach?

I certainly feel better knowing that Grimes will be the one coaching Calvin Ashley. Hoping he's our next Greg Robinson! 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Rhett's fault. 

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

They could have chose not to say anything at all about the hire. So what's your point?

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That being said, Cole never played for JB and makes his living as an unabashed analyst so his take carries some value.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Not at all unhappy to read this. He's not a recruiting home run, but the man can coach a line.

Jb is awesome. The line is in great hands and his resume speaks for itself 

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or who was 28th in the country the last time he coached at Auburn. 

Back when Nick Marshall was running around back there? We also put the QB in a hell of a lot more pass-rushing situations now than we did when Marshall was here.

Considering JB grimes went into Uconn and they self describe their lines of the past couple season as "unmitigated disaster"    All linemen of their year were Redshirts or backups of previous season and at most rated as 2*.    

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/8/28/16212042/uconn-huskies-football-positional-preview-offensive-line-matt-peart-ryan-crozier-jb-grimes

Sometimes stats dont tell the whole story.   Good coach?  yes,  Magician?  no. 

Does JBG have experience with the zone blocking scheme we want to run now with CCL as opposed to his earlier stint with us? 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Cole picked NC State to win the natty last year. 

Yes he did. He knows his OL technique but overall, he is just a serious version of a looney tune. 

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Like how when a HC coach is fired, the players always want someone already on the staff to take his place.  I do believe Grimes is an improvement over Hand, but it is such a lazy hire by Gus.  And, if what bigbird and others are saying is true and there are more changes to come (I suspect Horton (who is the best coach on the O staff) will be one of the ones to leave, I am afraid that Gus will continue to be lazy.

wde

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, Gus' Off Seasons are often impressive.  :-\

Fair point. But his hires have mostly been awesome. Even the ones originally not thought to be. With this recruiting class, it suddenly becomes arguable that Kodi Burns is an overall bigger contributor to Auburn football as a WR coach than Dameyune Craig was. Think about that. 

Hand was a fail. Fountain might've been a fail. I don't think Ellis Johnson was a fail, but nobody wants to suffer through me trying to defend that stance here. Otherwise, they've just about all been successes. 

And some of the turnover has actually been a feather in Gus's cap. Muschamp, TRob and McGriff all left for huge promotions. You might even say that about Bisaccia (remember that one week we had a straight up NFL guru as our ST coach?). Lashlee just went to SMU from UCONN after doing this:

Lashlee helped revitalize UConn's offense, which ranked 122nd in total offense, 94th in passing and last nationally in scoring in 2016 to 49th in total offense, 34th in passing and 103rd in scoring this season.

Technically, Hand just left for a promotion. Horton probably will, too. CDC is still an SEC position coach and remains a home run hire for Auburn. 

And, getting back to Grimes, we had national title caliber offenses two of the three seasons he was with us. And in 2015, one of the most galling things about Jeremy Johnson's performance is that he failed so miserably without getting much pressure from opposing DLs.

Gus regularly craps the bed as our head coach. We agree there. But his failures are highlighted by the talent he surrounds himself with. We get angry because he does less with more. He's gotten that part right for the most part. 

13 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Cole picked NC State to win the natty last year. 

Yes & nobody is always right.

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Does JBG have experience with the zone blocking scheme we want to run now with CCL as opposed to his earlier stint with us? 

We used zone some through Gus's career.

Archived