JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

Back when Nick Marshall was running around back there? We also put the QB in a hell of a lot more pass-rushing situations now than we did when Marshall was here.

No... back when Jeremy was throwing it to the other team and Sean was playing with a bum foot.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Go from a coach who was 112th in the country giving up sacks to a coach that was 110th in the country giving up sacks. And that was UCONN's monster schedule.  

What was his sack ranking at auburn?

35 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Go from a coach who was 112th in the country giving up sacks to a coach that was 110th in the country giving up sacks. And that was UCONN's monster schedule.  

And with their monster o-line..none of which he recruited. He’s a great coach o-Line coach by almost any standard, not a miracle worker. :)

39 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

How often do former players talk down the re-hiring of their former coach?

I'm sure the "re-hiring" of coaches doesn't happen very often.  Cole has been very blunt on his opinion of Trickett in the past....so was Mark Pera.  These guys don't have to say anything at all...but they did.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fair point. But his hires have mostly been awesome. Even the ones originally not thought to be. With this recruiting class, it suddenly becomes arguable that Kodi Burns is an overall bigger contributor to Auburn football as a WR coach than Dameyune Craig was. Think about that. 

Hand was a fail. Fountain might've been a fail. I don't think Ellis Johnson was a fail, but nobody wants to suffer through me trying to defend that stance here. Otherwise, they've just about all been successes. 

And some of the turnover has actually been a feather in Gus's cap. Muschamp, TRob and McGriff all left for huge promotions. You might even say that about Bisaccia (remember that one week we had a straight up NFL guru as our ST coach?). Lashlee just went to SMU from UCONN after doing this:

Technically, Hand just left for a promotion. Horton probably will, too. CDC is still an SEC position coach and remains a home run hire for Auburn. 

And, getting back to Grimes, we had national title caliber offenses two of the three seasons he was with us. And in 2015, one of the most galling things about Jeremy Johnson's performance is that he failed so miserably without getting much pressure from opposing DLs.

Gus regularly craps the bed as our head coach. We agree there. But his failures are highlighted by the talent he surrounds himself with. We get angry because he does less with more. He's gotten that part right for the most part. 

Yes and yes.  No disagreement here.

That's mostly why I let him fool me each year.  He makes some excellent personnel moves and seems to be a "master" recruiter.

Now, if he would just let go certain reins and let his job/position become the sum of it's parts, AU Football would become the next great dynasty we'd all love to see.

47 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

How often do former players talk down the re-hiring of their former coach?

How often do former players say ANYTHING about hiring a coach, former coach or not?

7 minutes ago, metafour said:

On Twitter? All the time....

Really? 10, 20, 40 players or more create tweets when their old college team hires a new assistant coach? Interesting those tweets don't get much traction in here. 

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Really? 10, 20, 40 players or more create tweets when their old college team hires a new assistant coach? Interesting those tweets don't get much traction in here. 

There are guys who graduated 10+ years ago who still constantly tweet about Auburn football.

If you are a former player and your former coach was rehired by the school you obviously support; giving a "nod of approval" is nothing out of the norm at all on social media.  It takes all of two seconds.  Most players have fond memories of whoever their coach was if they were at a school that had success.  A coach has to be a complete dick-head to not get support from his past players.

I totally disagree with all the talking down of this hire. Bottom line is we got a better coach. He may need help with recruiting (which we have for him) but he is a better coach than Hand. We needed a coach right away and we upgraded. Maybe not a lot but some. This will be a good place card for Gus to be able to look for he right coach next time.  

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm sure the "re-hiring" of coaches doesn't happen very often.  Cole has been very blunt on his opinion of Trickett in the past....so was Mark Pera.  These guys don't have to say anything at all...but they did.

Pera graduated HS in 1999. Trickett left in 1998.

He played for Hugh Nall the entire time...whom he was also not a fan.

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

There are guys who graduated 10+ years ago who still constantly tweet about Auburn football.

If you are a former player and your former coach was rehired by the school you obviously support; giving a "nod of approval" is nothing out of the norm at all on social media.  It takes all of two seconds.  Most players have fond memories of whoever their coach was if they were at a school that had success.  A coach has to be a complete dick-head to not get support from his past players.

I like it when the coach got favorable results AND his former players retweet great things about him.  That's the situation we find ourselves in.

I seem to remember a lot of mumbling, complaining and squawking when JB left.  

This is is an upgrade.   Maybe not a grand slam hire, but a solid hire.  Especially given what we have on the O line next season.  

56 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

This happened way too fast, I think Gus pushed Hand out the door and had been in contact with Grimes prior.

Or Hand let Gus know he was wanting to leave and Gus contacted Grimes to line everything up. You're right though, it was quick. 

1 hour ago, AUTigerTime said:

Here's a video of him when he went to Cincinnati. It seems like he's still got the tenacity.

And it doesn't sound like he's a bumbling idiot that can't recruit.

There goes that word again "strain". He and Garner will have our o-line playing with attitude and toughness.

Just now, gr82be said:

Or Hand let Gus know he was wanting to leave and Gus contacted Grimes to line everything up. You're right though, it was quick. 

It just seems weird that he was given a contract extension just a couple weeks ago. If he's being pushed out, don't re-sign him.

I'm just glad he's gone. I can put the bottle down at this point.

I like the hire, this Oline will be Technically sound. I'm of the belief, a teacher bests a recruiter on the field at least 8 out of 10.

I see no reason, Porter,Horton,Gus, and Chip can not recruit a great Oline. JB is very detailed, guys like Tega and Sammons will look like different players in 2018.

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I would have liked for Gus to hire someone other than a retread.

I got bombed by an “insider” here when Lindsey was hired for stating basically the same thing. Other than the Muschamp hire, Gus doesn’t go after the best assistants on the market. He hires retreads, familiarity and most importantly, “Yes men.”

7 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I got bombed by an “insider” here when Lindsey was hired for stating basically the same thing. Other than the Muschamp hire, Gus doesn’t go after the best assistants on the market. He hires retreads, familiarity and most importantly, “Yes men.”

Steele, Woodson, Williams, Brown, Porter? Retreads, yes men? Garner, Horton? 

Archived