JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

How often do former players say ANYTHING about hiring a coach, former coach or not?

since twitter has been around I tend to see re-tweets from former players but no idea on the percentages

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I got bombed by an “insider” here when Lindsey was hired for stating basically the same thing. Other than the Muschamp hire, Gus doesn’t go after the best assistants on the market. He hires retreads, familiarity and most importantly, “Yes men.”

This Gus standard operating procedure is only going to get worse now that Gus has his big contract.

wde

55 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I totally disagree with all the talking down of this hire. Bottom line is we got a better coach. He may need help with recruiting (which we have for him) but he is a better coach than Hand. We needed a coach right away and we upgraded. Maybe not a lot but some. This will be a good place card for Gus to be able to look for he right coach next time.  

I hope that this is the case, but there was really no hurry to make this hire.  Our OL recruiting (such as it was) for this class was going to tank anyway once Hand left so Gus had time to look around and conduct a legitimate search for the "right coach" this time.

wde

59 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I totally disagree with all the talking down of this hire. Bottom line is we got a better coach. He may need help with recruiting (which we have for him) but he is a better coach than Hand. We needed a coach right away and we upgraded. Maybe not a lot but some. This will be a good place card for Gus to be able to look for he right coach next time.  

Exactly. We have a very inexperienced group coming back next year on the OL. I'll take a familiarity hire for the time being as a positive. JB is a good technician.  Those kids need that immediately if they're going to be ready before the Fall. 

17 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Steele, Woodson, Williams, Brown, Porter? Retreads, yes men? Garner, Horton? 

You have to remember that some people around here like to take one issue they have (in this case, it's usually Kodi), and blow it up as being a "trend". You can also set your watch by a very specific group of posters coming into nearly every thread with a doom and gloom attitude. Scotty is one of the kings of negativity.

Quite surprised at all the meh attitudes about this. I thought JB grimes was one of the bright spots in his tenure , previously at Auburn. 

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Exactly. We have a very inexperienced group coming back next year on the OL. I'll take a familiarity hire for the time being as a positive. JB is a good technician.  Those kids need that immediately if they're going to be ready before the Fall. 

We've talked for years about the potential of the Princes, Ashley, etc. Grimes is the type of coach that will take them to the level of play that they are capable of. I'm less worried about the O-Line against Washington that I was when the day started.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Quite surprised at all the meh attitudes about this. I thought JB grimes were one of the bright spots in his tenure , previously at Auburn. 

Same old, same old with some of these posters.  Literally any coach Gus hires people will complain.  And then the coach proves he is the perfect man for the job and we backtrack.  Look at Kodi, Steele, T-Will, and even Woodson.  Everyone was questioning why this random guy until they looked at the 2019 class coming out of Mississippi and the two in-state programs in shambles.  Now everyone is saying “great hire!”  It is amazing how opinions change on a dime.  :dunno:

4111F56E-1AF6-48DA-9C3C-EADCFF2038C9.gif

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

We've talked for years about the potential of the Princes, Ashley, etc. Grimes is the type of coach that will take them to the level of play that they are capable of. I'm less worried about the O-Line against Washington that I was when the day started.

I think that's the whole story right there. I really do.

We're in a window that might shut at any moment. For better or worse, Gus got the guy who he felt could have the kids we have *right now* ready to play football *right now*. Maybe we could have gotten a splash hire that could do that. Maybe we jumped the gun. Maybe this will be another example of Gus reacting instead of dictating. But I see the logic here. 

And, as others have suggested, we might already be looking for the next guy. Grimes might just be doing Gus a solid here. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Go from a coach who was 112th in the country giving up sacks to a coach that was 110th in the country giving up sacks. And that was UCONN's monster schedule.  

See!!

Better!!

I'm glad Gus saw his mistake and went back out and got the guy he pushed out for Hand. You people saying he left just so he could coach with his son either have short memories or you just like spewing out the feel good story. 

Grimes was told he could take an off the field position. That is being forced out. 

Either way you look at it, Grimes can flat out coach. I'm tough on Gus. I'm one of the ones who criticises a lot he does. I'm still completely blown away that, regardless of the situation with the Mississippi instate schools, Gus didn't go out and get someone who can make our special teams special again. 

With this move, Gus absolutely brought in a coach who can unquestionably coach up the talent he has before him. Sure he didn't blow it away at UCONN, but they get a fraction of the talent we pull. 

Short term hire or not, this is an automatic upgrade to our OL next season. This is protection for Jarrett. For once I give Gus kudos on this hire. As I said, I'm still blown away we didn't bring in a true special teams coach, but at least the days of giving up 10+ sacks in a game is over. And the days of our line getting manhandled by inferior talent are over. 

Well done Gus. Let's keep moving in the right direction. 

He is a hell of a lot better OL coach than Hand.  Maybe not the HR hire many would have hoped for but certainly better than what we had.  I can’t see why anyone would be disappointed with an upgrade.  

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Same old, same old with some of these posters.  Literally any coach Gus hires people will complain.  And then the coach proves he is the perfect man for the job and we backtrack.  Look at Kodi, Steele, T-Will, and even Woodson.  Everyone was questioning why this random guy until they looked at the 2019 class coming out of Mississippi and the two in-state programs in shambles.  Now everyone is saying “great hire!”  It is amazing how opinions change on a dime.  :dunno:

4111F56E-1AF6-48DA-9C3C-EADCFF2038C9.gif

I think people are so caught up on a “splash” hire. I just want a coach who can get the best out of the boys. Don’t care if he is from divison 2 or the NFL.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

You haven't met my wife...

Is she my wife's twin sister?

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think people are so caught up on a “splash” hire. I just want a coach who can get the best out of the boys. Don’t care if he is from divison 2 or the NFL.

And, as @ellitor pointed out, it's not like there are a bunch of "splash" OL coaches out there to hire in the first place. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also why Gus helpoed him find a nice landing spot in Cincy. I guess with having a new additional assistant that can recruit the thinking would appear to be JB coach, tell us who you want, & the rest of us will get you the players to coach.

And i'm perfectly fine with that. 

I think with the timing of everything, Gus needed to bring in someone he can trust to be a solid teacher that can get the most of his players. JB Grimes is old school in many ways, but good ways for the most part. I know the players responded well to him and that they respect his knowledge and coaching skills. I hope his health is back on track and is cancer free.  I think we will see improvement with OL and we will get some good talent coming in with this class.  Gus is Gus and we all know that he has the potential to put championship teams on the field.  I will give this a "B" hire as a good hire and one that can get us from point A to B without JS spending too much time running for his life or on the ground looking at some ugly DL from the opposition. Give JS time, and he is capable of picking apart any SEC team.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And Gus had a open checkbook to hire anyone. Could have paid 750K or more a year. And BOOM, this. Pathetic.  Was hoping we were getting the uga and uat Gus. But we are getting the UCF Gus. 

I'm going to respectfully disagree about JB and move on. Grimes is one hell of an OL coach and now that he's healthy and back to form I believe it will pan out as a positive. 

49 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Amen.  I know one thing, the RB's we signed this year should be doing cartwheels, because the OL will know how to run block.

Lets face facts with the current attitude of many on this board they are going to pick apart anyone Gus hired. Come on guys lets move on from last year and stop picking everything apart. The sky is not falling we already have a good class that is signed. This constant bashing is really getting old.

2 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Amen.  I know one thing, the RB's we signed this year should be doing cartwheels, because the OL will know how to run block.

Yup... Our back-up running backs just got better :)

2 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

He is a hell of a lot better OL coach than Hand.  Maybe not the HR hire many would have hoped for but certainly better than what we had.  I can’t see why anyone would be disappointed with an upgrade.  

CHH was considered a "splash hire" if you read many buried threads.  Ahem.  Welcome home, Coach Grimes!!

Related image

Archived