JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

2 hours ago, metafour said:

Back when Nick Marshall was running around back there? We also put the QB in a hell of a lot more pass-rushing situations now than we did when Marshall was here.

If our OL ranked 28th the last time he was here, that was 2015.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

I got bombed by an “insider” here when Lindsey was hired for stating basically the same thing. Other than the Muschamp hire, Gus doesn’t go after the best assistants on the market. He hires retreads, familiarity and most importantly, “Yes men.”

Kevin Steele and Rodney Garner have yes man written all over them. I wish this narrative would just end. 

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And, let's face it... it's a lot of fun to watch a vertically challenged old guy get in the face of a 300lb monster in practice videos. 

I did enjoy those videos! lol. In my mind i'm thinking how a man so small can develop some big boys like that. But he has proven that he can. I'm excited to get his coaching back. I understand what everyone is saying about his recruiting but i don't think he's that bad of a recruiter. He's certainly shown he can develop the players he does get and that's big IMO. We need plenty more of that on offense. So give him the help he needs on the recruiting trail and let Grimes get to work with them! It may not be a splash hire but knowing Gus the alternative of having an unknown or less experienced OL coach is not what i wanted. If Gus wants bigger hires in these situations, then he needs to start extending his relationships more in CFB. I'm fine with the hire and feel a little better about the OL going into next season. 

6 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

CHH was considered a "splash hire" if you read many buried threads.  Ahem.  Welcome home, Coach Grimes!!

Related image

That's because we all, ignorantly, thought that he and Gus working together was the key to the offense that they ran at Tulsa... it apparently wasn't.

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Kevin Steele and Rodney Garner have yes man written all over them. I wish this narrative would just end. 

Both are on the side of the football that Gus isn’t the guru. 

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. Kevin Steele and Garner and two of the best coaches in college football and we're very fortunate to still have them both. 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. Kevin Steele and Garner and two of the best coaches in college football and we're very fortunate to still have them both. 

He was definitely being sarcastic, responding to a previous ridiculous comment.

War Eagle JB!!  Welcome back.  Glad to have you back.  

JB is a terrific OL Coach, good recruiter, great person.  

Next year when we sign 4-4stars and 1-3 star what will the complaint be?  When we lead the conference in rushing?  When we cut the sacks in half?

My best advice is to get on board and enjoy the ride regardless of what happens.  Gus is here for a minimum of 3-4 so you better get some enjoyment out of our team as we go forward.  

As far as recycling coaching... isn’t that what the best coach in history just said he’s been lucky to be able to hire people on defense that knows his system?

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Both are on the side of the football that Gus isn’t the guru. 

But he hired them and they are not yes men. He is responsible for the entire football team, offense and defense. It’s his offensive philosophy and he should be able to hire whomever he wants. At the end of the day he will be held accountable. Or maybe he should just hire who we say or think he should and still be held accountable.

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's because we all, ignorantly, thought that he and Gus working together was the key to the offense that they ran at Tulsa... it apparently wasn't.

I will NEVER forget a conversation my sassy, sharp-witted "AU-Lions Club-football-tv-tower-cancer-battling-prof-dad" was having with someone who stepped in with "But I thought..."  Dad snapped off, "NO, ya didn't!Made me smile, lionheartkc!  So glad for you are feeling better!

P.S. He SO walks in greater humility and grace, now.  :Sing:

P.P.S.  Good news we KNOW what we are getting with Coach Grimes, hey?  

Image result for i like it alot

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

War Eagle JB!!  Welcome back.  Glad to have you back.  

JB is a terrific OL Coach, good recruiter, great person.  

Next year when we sign 4-4stars and 1-3 star what will the complaint be?  When we lead the conference in rushing?  When we cut the sacks in half?

Woo hoo! Yeah! Suck it, haters!

My best advice is to get on board and enjoy the ride regardless of what happens.  Gus is here for a minimum of 3-4 so you better get some enjoyment out of our team as we go forward.  

Wait, whaaaaa? You didn't mean any of that other stuff you said???

:Sing:

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Different paragraphs so different supporting arguments... but oh well you get the point

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good catch 

2 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Steele, Woodson, Williams, Brown, Porter? Retreads, yes men? Garner, Horton? 

Did I say “all”?

Lashlee, Hand, Burns, Lindsey, Grimes. All retreads and/or familiar. 

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

RG used to be the coach to bash. He was barely decent as a coach and was a has been as a recruiter. He sure shut down those doubting Thomas's. Then Kevin Steele was a weak hire, then Brown was a goober who couldn't recruit and the player couldn't relate to him Over last two years those bad coaches have elevated us to one of the best Dline's, best defenses in the country and  we have had exceptional DB player. Our DB's no longer give a 10 yard cushion and have been very good at stripping the ball out of receivers hands. Gus recently has a pretty good track record with his coaching hires. 

Maybe our all knowing fans should wait and see what Woodson and Grimes do before judging whether they were good hires.

With Hand leaving when he did and no great OT's recruited so far this year there was little chance any new O-line hire would get us a great OT. We were always going to hope other coaches like Horton could help pull one of the guys we want at OT.  What Grimes gives us is a great technical coach who has shown the ability to get the most out of his players. With so much of the O-line going to have to rely on existing players a great technical coach is what we need right now. Whether Grimes is a long term solution or just being brought in to  elevate our existing players I don't know but I am glad we picked him.

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

Lets face facts with the current attitude of many on this board they are going to pick apart anyone Gus hired. Come on guys lets move on from last year and stop picking everything apart. The sky is not falling we already have a good class that is signed. This constant bashing is really getting old.

:thumbsup:

I am not a frequent flyer on the Gus bus, as most of you know, but I like the hire of coach Grimes. Definitely think it's an upgrade. I saw many little things from the OL this season I didn't like. Don't remember those types of things happening when Grimes was previously here. Maybe we will be much better at picking up the inside blitz next season, and discontinue to leave defensive linemen mysteriously unblocked. 

29 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I am not a frequent flyer on the Gus bus, as most of you know, but I like the hire of coach Grimes. Definitely think it's an upgrade. I saw many little things from the OL this season I didn't like. Don't remember those types of things happening when Grimes was previously here. Maybe we will be much better at picking up the inside blitz next season, and discontinue to leave defensive linemen mysteriously unblocked. 

Same here. :thumbsup:

Welcome back Coach Grimes. I had no issues with the OL last time he was here so i don't see any problem in the hire. Not exciting or anything but he seemed to put got OLs on the field.

Archived