JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay big guy 

I guess I'm missing the inside conversation.  People have been calling for Gus to be fired for almost 3 years now.  If you would have polled this board after the LSU loss you would have probably had 99.9 % of the people vote yes to changing head coaches.  That is definitely far from honeymoon time.  

I'm not sure what seems to be the polarizing effect Gus has on our fan base.  He does what the fans ask and most of the time they work out for the better.  Is he stubborn?  Sure but if he isn't stubborn and confident in his "process" and program then who will be?  

If you asked this board 2 days ago would you want a better OL coach, most would say yes.  If you think Grimes is not a better OL coach then Hand that's your opinion.  I don't share the same opinion.  I agree recruiting is the life blood of every program.  We have recruiters and hopefully we have some good teachers/instructors as well.  I think Grimes is a good recruiter, not great.  But is a very good OL coach.   So who would have been a better choice.  Does anyone know of any OL coaches other then Grimes, Hand, Brent Key, Sam Pittman, Jeff Grimes, Rick Trickett?  Bet 95% couldn't name another OL coach without looking someone up.  

I respect the differing opinions on the board.  I don't understand the pure hatred some seem to have for their own coaching staff.  I for sure don't understand a response like Okay big guy.  

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky isn’t falling and if you wish to jump off the bridge go ahead. Grimes will bring back the mean streak that hasn’t been present the past couple of years.

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I guess I'm missing the inside conversation.  People have been calling for Gus to be fired for almost 3 years now.  If you would have polled this board after the LSU loss you would have probably had 99.9 % of the people vote yes to changing head coaches.  That is definitely far from honeymoon time.  

I'm not sure what seems to be the polarizing effect Gus has on our fan base.  He does what the fans ask and most of the time they work out for the better.  Is he stubborn?  Sure but if he isn't stubborn and confident in his "process" and program then who will be?  

If you asked this board 2 days ago would you want a better OL coach, most would say yes.  If you think Grimes is not a better OL coach then Hand that's your opinion.  I don't share the same opinion.  I agree recruiting is the life blood of every program.  We have recruiters and hopefully we have some good teachers/instructors as well.  I think Grimes is a good recruiter, not great.  But is a very good OL coach.   So who would have been a better choice.  Does anyone know of any OL coaches other then Grimes, Hand, Brent Key, Sam Pittman, Jeff Grimes, Rick Trickett?  Bet 95% couldn't name another OL coach without looking someone up.  

I respect the differing opinions on the board.  I don't understand the pure hatred some seem to have for their own coaching staff.  I for sure don't understand a response like Okay big guy.  

Stacey Searels at Miami, however I love this hire and what he brings to the team.  Welcome home Coach Grimes.

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I do, I do!!!!!

11 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Sky isn’t falling and if you wish to jump off the bridge go ahead. Grimes will bring back the mean streak that hasn’t been present the past couple of years.

I love the toughness that he will bring back, but how many years does he really have left?

Also I know I'm considered one of the sunshine pumpers of the fan base but I'm realistic as well.  This was my grading of the OL this year and some other comments in the another thread rating the OL... So I was calling for major OL improvement

Solid C 

completely dominated sometimes but would have a game and give up sacks galore.  Even with an average grade was probably number 3 or 4 in the conference but with the experience that was probably 3-4 spots to low.  So overall I’d go with underachieved.  

This is for you coach Hand.  You’re on notice!!  Have the fricking line ready to handle odd and even man fronts.  Have the line ready for middle and edge blitz.  If the OL gets beat on a stunt or twist that’s on them.  The rest is on you unless there is a Center communication issue which also falls on you Herbie.  

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

I love the toughness that he will bring back, but how many years does he really have left?

If we just get 1 year.  Its better then 1 more year of Hand.

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Agreed.  I would have loved to see Gus go after Bob Bolstad.  

I'm not that familiar with him but I don't watch much NFL.   Could he recruit?

As a coach I think JB Grimes is more than capable to make our O-line great. It's just going to be really interesting to see how he does at recruiting.

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm not that familiar with him but I don't watch much NFL.   Could he recruit?

Wisconsin OL coach and then time in NFL, pulled guys out of Ohio while with UW.  He found football players, you know the type that were there to pick up their running back every play and hit you in the face, put all kinds of guys into the NFL.

Will wait to see how this plays out, will say that I am happy that there will be a mean streak back to our line. The lack of foot movement and not attempting to drive guys under hand was concerning to me.

10 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

And Gus had a open checkbook to hire anyone. Could have paid 750K or more a year. And BOOM, this. Pathetic.  Was hoping we were getting the uga and uat Gus. But we are getting the UCF Gus. 

You can go fishing, have the best bait but if the fish ain't bitting you ain't going to catch much. 

After the disappointing performance by the O line in the Peach Bowl, I said to family members that what we needed on the O line was a Reese Dismukes, somebody tough & mean. Now I read that Reese says Coach Crimes will bring the tenacity back to the O line. Bring it BACK since it hasn't been there. That alone makes me glad to welcome Coach Crimes back to the Plains.

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

I think Rick Trickett was available. 

No disrespect to Coach Grimes, but this is a very disappointing hire.  I think J.B. has previously been a very good OL coach for Auburn, but his time has past.  He’s 63 years old and has already battled cancer.  How much future does he have as a coach? He will certainly have to overcome that negative recruiting to go along with the limited recruiting ability he showed in his previous stint.

But my true disappoint comes from Gus Malzahn’s lack of ability to make a splash hire. Gus makes one solid hire and then follows it up with a disappointing one. If you look at the great coaches, Saban & Meyer for example, they are constantly replacing coaches. The coaches that they get are always promoted to bigger and better jobs. Year in and year out they are able to identify and go get a hot-shot-up-and-coming coach. 

Malzahn gave me hope in his first year when he added Rich Bissaccia to the staff. Even though we couldn’t keep him, it made me believe that Gus had the ability to go get NFL coaches and convince them to come to Auburn. Ever since then it has been coaches that either had an Auburn connection or a Gus Malzahn connection.

MARK MY WORDS - He let Rhett Lashlee go get experience at other schools. But as soon as Chip Lindsey leaves, he will use certain selected stats showing the impact & success that Lashlee has had at other schools to justify bringing him back. I don’t believe that Gus wanted to let Lashlee go. I believe that Gus was forced to let him go. 

If Gus Malzahn is left alone without anyone “giving him advice” or “forcing his hand” then he will hang himself. He’s proven that he is too stubborn to learn from his mistakes and reinvent himself with new coaches, schemes, and philosophies.

Hated it when we lost Grimes. Love that he’s coming back. Sidenote: I fully believe that Auburn could hire Jesus as a coach and half of the people here would bitch about it. 

7 hours ago, jmcrosson said:

Hated it when we lost Grimes. Love that he’s coming back. Sidenote: I fully believe that Auburn could hire Jesus as a coach and half of the people here would bitch about it. 

Well, in all fairness, Jesus hasn't coached an offensive line in like..... forever.  Could be a good recruiter, though. Maybe bring Him on in an off-field position and see what He can do...?

21 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Well, in all fairness, Jesus hasn't coached an offensive line in like..... forever.  Could be a good recruiter, though. Maybe bring Him on in an off-field position and see what He can do...?

You gotta believe!

1286177145_005.gif?w=384&h=216

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

No disrespect to Coach Grimes, but this is a very disappointing hire.

Come on, you have to at least say something positive about the program at some point!

410CC8B6-DD5E-42EC-A577-962A707C53CE.gif

11 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

After the disappointing performance by the O line in the Peach Bowl, I said to family members that what we needed on the O line was a Reese Dismukes, somebody tough & mean. Now I read that Reese says Coach Crimes will bring the tenacity back to the O line. Bring it BACK since it hasn't been there. That alone makes me glad to welcome Coach Crimes back to the Plains.

We don't have any Dismukes on the current roster. 

Archived