JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

23 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No kind about it. Awful hire. Can't recruit and that is one of our main problems with the OL. Gus has learned nothing. 

Maybe he can bring someone in from Buffalo?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I resent the 63 years old part as a negative ?. I kid......but Saban, Belichik and Carroll all say hi.......from their 65+ chairs

Agree. The arguments made about age will last forever but it really depends on the individual, not a preconceived expiration date of a person. He has battled cancer and survived so if the Lord's not finished with him then why should anyone else be.  

My only question is will JB pull the guard from the opposite side of the line to block the fastest D End in the league whomever that might be next year?  Myles Garrett would like to know.  

38 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The D-Line is going to be damn good. 

Will AU run any 1st D Line vs 1st O line this spring? Man, that could get ugly.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

Will AU run any 1st D Line vs 1st O line this spring? Man, that could get ugly.

I hope so. But that isn't something Gus likes to do. And IMO, why it takes 3 games to figure what we have. 

15 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Agree. The arguments made about age will last forever but it really depends on the individual, not a preconceived expiration date of a person. He has battled cancer and survived so if the Lord's not finished with him then why should anyone else be.  

Funny thing is people complained about Kodi because he was too young and didn’t have experience.  So if people complain about people being too old and too young, who can win that argument?  :-\

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Well, in all fairness, Jesus hasn't coached an offensive line in like..... forever.  Could be a good recruiter, though. Maybe bring Him on in an off-field position and see what He can do...?

If he doesn't come from the Belichik coaching tree than can he really be all that good anyway?

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Funny thing is people complained about Kodi because he was too young and didn’t have experience.  So if people complain about people being too old and too young, who can win that argument?  :-\

Folks on this forum can always find something to be unhappy about.     We say we want a bright young coach ...except when we hire one....and we want some serious SEC level experience but not too much of it....most days this place sounds like whiner central.

War Damn Eagle and i hardly ever see eye to eye but he nailed it with his post above. Gus is soft, period. When Boomer was here he forced some toughness and the affects carried over. Now we are far away from that and we are back to the don't take a risk of getting hurt soft practices. WDE is exactly right the only way to prepare for a real SEC or high caliber P5  team is have 1's against 1's. We almost never do that. Example, J. Stidham had never been hit since he got to AU through spring and fall practice before the 1st game. No wonder he looked a little gun shy. I hope that JB does add at least some elements of tenacity and a mean streak back to our OL. I also hope we have a good old fashion hitting spring, at least a few times, but i know Gus will not do that not in his nature.

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I love the toughness that he will bring back, but how many years does he really have left?

I was wondering that, but he's not as old as I thought.  He's not even traditional retirement age, yet.  Based on when he graduated college, he's 61, maybe 62. For those counting... that's 2 years younger than Saban.

1 hour ago, casatiger said:

My only question is will JB pull the guard from the opposite side of the line to block the fastest D End in the league whomever that might be next year?  Myles Garrett would like to know.  

It's a very common blocking scheme.

inverted-veer-playaction.jpg

DART-one-back.jpg

FAKEPOWER.jpg

http://smartfootball.com/passing/a-very-wise-coach-once-told-me-if-you-really-want-play-action-you-better-pull-a-guard#sthash.Gu097M0E.dpbs

3 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Example, J. Stidham had never been hit since he got to AU through spring and fall practice before the 1st game. No wonder he looked a little gun shy.

And if we had made him live and he got hurt, everyone would call Gus an idiot for making him live. 

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Shoot!

Did I miss it?

If you're the voyeuristic type... it's in here... but I'll warn you, it's a little unnerving to witness.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

And if we had made him live and he got hurt, everyone would call Gus an idiot for making him live. 

Neil Caudle...Borges caught a lot of heat (from internet fans) for that decision.

Only people who are arm chair coaches not people who have actually been in the game or coached the game. You cannot get ready for SEC play running just two hand touch and skeleton drills. Has never and will never work.  We could have protected him some told guys dont go low, run goal line, etc. to protect him but still get real action.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I was wondering that, but he's not as old as I thought.  He's not even traditional retirement age, yet.  Based on when he graduated college, he's 61, maybe 62. For those counting... that's 2 years younger than Saban.

Saban is probably only in his twenties. You have to multiply a donkeys age times 3 to get the human equivalent. :-\

4 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Only people who are arm chair coaches not people who have actually been in the game or coached the game. You cannot get ready for SEC play running just two hand touch and skeleton drills. Has never and will never work.  We could have protected him some told guys dont go low, run goal line, etc. to protect him but still get real action.

I'm not sure what your experience is, but the game has changed over the years. With the level of athletes now playing, any hit can take a guy out and with the lack of depth we have at the QB spot, it's not worth the risk. When we are finally 3-4 quality QBs deep, then we can talk about risking #1 in practice. 

19 minutes ago, auol72 said:

You realize that a lot of NFL teams literally don’t allow their star offensive players to get hit in camp and practice right? 

10 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

You realize that a lot of NFL teams literally don’t allow their star offensive players to get hit in camp and practice right? 

And in games for certain QB's.  "In the Grasp" rule = "2 Hand Touch".

;)

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

And in games for certain QB's.  "In the Grasp" rule = "2 Hand Touch".

;)

It’s silly to be mad because our coach didn’t want QB1 to get popped by SEC DL in practice. Some of our fanbase is ridiculous!

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s silly to be mad because our coach didn’t want QB1 to get popped by SEC DL in practice. Some of our fanbase is ridiculous!

Totally agree.

I'm all for hearing the pads pop in practice but NO-BODY hangs their QB's out to dry in practice.  Heck, I can't remember seeing a QB hit (full on) in a scrimmage even.  I'm sure it's happened... but I've not heard of it.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Totally agree.

I'm all for hearing the pads pop in practice but NO-BODY hangs their QB's out to dry in practice.  Heck, I can't remember seeing a QB hit (full on) in a scrimmage even.  I'm sure it's happened... but I've not heard of it.

Last I heard of it was the one and only play that Queen ran when he was coming off of his first injury... and going into his second injury.

1 hour ago, casatiger said:

And try it twice. Since it worked so well the first time the play was called. :-\

Archived