JB Grimes Returns to Auburn

Auhud08

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Looks great on paper.  You left off the 4th slide though.  The one where our QB is a smeared ink spot on the ground and our guard is helping him up off the ground.  In all seriousness though, we just did not have the personnel to execute it evidently and clearly did not recognize that from a coaching standpoint. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, casatiger said:

Looks great on paper.  You left off the 4th slide though.  The one where our QB is a smeared ink spot on the ground and our guard is helping him up off the ground.  In all seriousness though, we just did not have the personnel to execute it evidently and clearly did not recognize that from a coaching standpoint. 

We did have it. It showed in the Bama and UGA game. Inconsistency is the problem though and that is a culture change, which is implemented from top to bottom.

some folks come on here and spew so much hate, anger, and often ignorance i often wonder if some of these guys like themselves. i understand constructive criticism but some of the negative talk on here amazes me.if pulling for auburn made me as unhappy as some folks on here i believe i would find another team to pull for. if anything it might help folks live longer ridding themselves of all that negative energy.

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

some folks come on here and spew so much hate, anger, and often ignorance i often wonder if some of these guys like themselves. i understand constructive criticism but some of the negative talk on here amazes me.if pulling for auburn made me as unhappy as some folks on here i believe i would find another team to pull for. if anything it might help folks live longer ridding themselves of all that negative energy.

Worth at least a "wave" at Golf.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Still MEH on the hire but this might just be a short term fix. 

I had been thinking this too. 

I like the hire from a coaching standpoint.  Would liked to have gotten a bigger impact recruiter, but hopefully JB can fix some of the issues we saw this year.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I like the hire from a coaching standpoint.  Would liked to have gotten a bigger impact recruiter, but hopefully JB can fix some of the issues we saw this year.

Band aid hire by Gus. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Still MEH on the hire but this might just be a short term fix. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Band aid hire by Gus. 

So @WarDamnEagleWDE are you thinking it is a short contract and we go after a big name next year or what?  Just not sure how you can have a "short term fix" when hiring a coach.

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

So @WarDamnEagleWDE are you thinking it is a short contract and we go after a big name next year or what?  Just not sure how you can have a "short term fix" when hiring a coach.

Not him, but

I am stuck on Band-Aids, 'cause...

19 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Not WDE but 2018 OL recruiting is mostly shot. If anybody can come in and turn the mess around on the OL in terms of guys we already have to make them a cohesive unit for the 2018 season, it's Grimes.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not WDE but 2018 OL recruiting is mostly shot. If anybody can come in and turn the mess around on the OL in terms of guys we already have to make them a cohesive unit for the 2018 season, it's Grimes.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

yeah, but if it is a "short term fix" then is he only here for a year before he is gone again and we are looking for another OL coach?

As has been pointed out the only recruits who could feasibly help for 2018 would be GT's. Otherwise we play 2018 with who we have now so someone that can coach them up is better short term than a great recruiter but not great coach. For that matter 2019 season is set on the OL as well since Tega is a Jr, Horton a Jr, Harrell a Jr, Kim a Soph, Ashley a Fr, Sammmons a Soph, Hamm a Fr., Brahms a Fr., Troxell a Fr., Because Tega and Sammons and Ashley are very young other than Tega started and played alot and i expect him to make the kind of jump that Greg Robinson did from his redshirt Fr., year to his Soph year, it would not hurt to have an experienced OT to make us two deep at that position. Otherwise these highly rated high schoolers will not be needed or counted on to start before 2020.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agree 100%. it is not like whoever we bring in would be able to turn around the OL recruiting in 2 weeks. Bring in a guy who is good at coaching the OL (which we did) and work on getting in on the big names for next year. 

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

All due respect to @WarDamnEagleWDE@triangletiger has had this one pegged since pretty much the moment this was announced.

Short term fix is a guy who can come in and make our current personnel get better quickly. We have the QB and the WRs. Our OL talent isn't garbage. We should be able to scrape together a running back or two. Our DL and possibly even LBs are elite. The iron is hot and we need to strike.

A short term fix is also a guy who can help secure the commitment of a much needed OL or two here a month before NSD. Grimes already visited one of our top OL targets. If we were still out there throwing zeroes at sexy names, this important recruit would not have received a visit from his would-be position coach at Auburn. He'd still be wondering. Not a reason to hire a guy unto itself, but it definitely matters, especially when the kid tweeted how much it meant to him that Grimes visited.

Speaking of, this particular short term fix (possibly) is a guy who recruited half of the OLs on our roster. It's surprising to me that more people aren't talking about this. Kaleb Kim, for example, was a blue chip recruit who came to Auburn to play for JB Grimes. Don't be surprised if he suddenly becomes a viable candidate for center with Hand gone. Kids love JB. I don't think he's the recruiting liability that some are painting him to be.

A short term fix might also be a guy who goes into this knowing he's a short term fix and is okay with it. 

It's possible that we could've made a better hire, but this hire also makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. I think some of the complaining has been narrow minded and overblown. 

Oh, one other thing. 63 isn't too old to be an OL coach. I have no idea what his health situation is, but 63 isn't too old. This thing could work for more than the short term.

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

yeah, but if it is a "short term fix" then is he only here for a year before he is gone again and we are looking for another OL coach?

If you wish to skip over the other long winded response I just provided- I wouldn't blame you in the least- short term fix means we're already looking for his replacement and he's cool with it. 

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Way too early to know that but I would be surprised if he is here more than 2 or 3 years. Gus has to plan well & the staff has to recruit hard to help JB as long as he is here.

41 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Band aid hire by Gus. 

So?  Gus fixed a defeciency and for a year or two gets the young guns some fundamentally sound training and development.  This was a safe hire, as CGM knew what he was getting and JB Grimes knows AU inside and out and will do his job.

Honestly, the way coaches rotate around these days from program to program most all hires can be considered band aids.  Coaches rarely stay on staff for any serious length of time, especially if they are good coaches.

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

So?  Gus fixed a defeciency and for a year or two gets the young guns some fundamentally sound training and development.  This was a safe hire, as CGM knew what he was getting and JB Grimes knows AU inside and out and will do his job.

Honestly, the way coaches rotate around these days from program to program most all hires can be considered band aids.  Coaches rarely stay on staff for any serious length of time, especially if they are good coaches.

Just like all of Saban's recent coordinators, it seems like. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All due respect to @WarDamnEagleWDE@triangletiger has had this one pegged since pretty much the moment this was announced.

Short term fix is a guy who can come in and make our current personnel get better quickly. We have the QB and the WRs. Our OL talent isn't garbage. We should be able to scrape together a running back or two. Our DL and possibly even LBs are elite. The iron is hot and we need to strike.

A short term fix is also a guy who can help secure the commitment of a much needed OL or two here a month before NSD. Grimes already visited one of our top OL targets. If we were still out there throwing zeroes at sexy names, this important recruit would not have received a visit from his would-be position coach at Auburn. He'd still be wondering. Not a reason to hire a guy unto itself, but it definitely matters, especially when the kid tweeted how much it meant to him that Grimes visited.

Speaking of, this particular short term fix (possibly) is a guy who recruited half of the OLs on our roster. It's surprising to me that more people aren't talking about this. Kaleb Kim, for example, was a blue chip recruit who came to Auburn to play for JB Grimes. Don't be surprised if he suddenly becomes a viable candidate for center with Hand gone. Kids love JB. I don't think he's the recruiting liability that some are painting him to be.

A short term fix might also be a guy who goes into this knowing he's a short term fix and is okay with it. 

It's possible that we could've made a better hire, but this hire also makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. I think some of the complaining has been narrow minded and overblown. 

Oh, one other thing. 63 isn't too old to be an OL coach. I have no idea what his health situation is, but 63 isn't too old. This thing could work for more than the short term.

!!!

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...Oh, one other thing. 63 isn't too old to be an OL coach. ...

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Way too early to know that but I would be surprised if he is here more than 2 or 3 years. ...

Potentially relevant?

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Way too early to know that but I would be surprised if he is here more than 2 or 3 years. Gus has to plan well & the staff has to recruit hard to help JB as long as he is here.

Not a comforting nor confidence building statement. 

Archived