2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

You may be correct but something tells me a Charger bought at auction is not going to sway him and maybe his mom or dad don't need a job or house offered to them.  I don't see him or his family making a "Business" decision lol.

Don’t think it’s a business decision type of deal.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let this thread die then guys, he's never really been an Auburn leaning recruit and the gap has only seemed to widen. Not a big deal here. The "Buidne$$" decision kids typically are the ones who were legitimately looking elsewhere and all of a sudden are 100% Turd. This kid has just been Bama from the start and Georgia has successfully weaseled their way into the conversation.

We have our center, and we're ready to worry about the other four positions across the OL.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Let this thread die then guys, he's never really been an Auburn leaning recruit and the gap has only seemed to widen. Not a big deal here. The "Buidne$$" decision kids typically are the ones who were legitimately looking elsewhere and all of a sudden are 100% Turd. This kid has just been Bama from the start and Georgia has successfully weaseled their way into the conversation.

While I don't disagree with anything you said, I refuse to give up on a kid that our solid recruits are pursuing hard. After all, much of what these players love about football is the guys they are playing next to, and if you develop a strong enough bond, it can make the fact that someone in your family has a dog named Bear and your couch us upholstered in hounds tooth seem far less important.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

While I don't disagree with anything you said, I refuse to give up on a kid that our solid recruits are pursuing hard. After all, much of what these players love about football is the guys they are playing next to, and if you develop a strong enough bond, it can make the fact that someone in your family has a dog named Bear and your couch us upholstered in hounds tooth seem far less important.

Have you met people who have a dog named bear and a coach covered hounds tooth pattern? lol ? They are pretty well bammers for life.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

The thread doesn't die til he stops visiting AU which he is still doing.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

We have our center

We are recruiting Webb at G, not C.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Have you met people who have a dog named bear and a coach covered hounds tooth pattern? lol ? They are pretty well bammers for life.

Dog named bear, yes. Hounds tooth couch, thank God, no. Just keep in mind that the couch and the dog don't belong to the actual kid in the scenario. His family may be bammers for life, but hey, so is Grandpa Carlson.

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Not the couch, but the dog named Bear. Both parents bammers by heritage, temperament and choice. Two kids, son all Auburn and daughter all bamzo. It can happen.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

We are recruiting Webb at G, not C.

I'm confused, I thought Webb was a 5 star center, why would we recruit a 5 star center to play guard? I know he is probably good enough to play guard just seems strange to project him as a guard if the recruiting sites have him as a 5 star center. As you posted early in this thread there are not many 5 star centers around.

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

why would we recruit a 5 star center to play guard?

Well 1. We have our C for the class in Jakai Clark & 2. Often times really good Center can be as good if not better Guards.

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

just seems strange to project him as a guard if the recruiting sites have him as a 5 star center.

Yes cuz in their infinite wisdom recruiting sites know sooo much more about a recruit's potential than our coaching staff (Sorry. I couldn't resist.). FWIW most teams are recruiting him at Guard instead of Center.

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well 1. We have our C for the class in Jakai Clark & 2. Often times really good Center can be as good if not better Guards.

Yes cuz in their infinite wisdom recruiting sites know sooo much more about a recruit's potential than our coaching staff (Sorry. I couldn't resist.). FWIW most teams are recruiting him at Guard instead of Center.

Thanks for the info E, from the lack of buzz in our direction I thought maybe he had slipped away completely. He would be a tremendous player for us at either guard spot. 

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

from the lack of buzz in our direction

He visited last week & it was reported by all AU outlets.

No reason to worry about Webb.  We are doing well in recruiting him if he goes to bama or UGA it’s because that’s where he wants to go but he is giving us a shot to recruit him on equal footing with those 2.  It will come down to where he thinks he can play early and b enefit the most from coaching.  It’s that simple.  He’s not a bad kid where ever he chooses and I don’t think it will he from his growing up a fan of a particular school

• 1 month later...

Notebook: Tigers finalist for 5-star OL

Bryan Matthews AuburnSports.com

ATLANTA | The state of Alabama’s top prospect has four finalists and a target date to announce his decision.

Clay Webb

from Oxford (Ala.) High School, rated a five-star and the nation’s No. 1 center and No. 10 overall prospect by Rivals, has narrowed his list to Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Clemson.

“It’s the people,” said Webb of what stands out about his final four schools. “How well I know the people there and the people that are coming there.”

Webb has narrowed his list to Alabama, Auburn. Georgia and Clemson.

Nick Lucero/Rivals.com

Webb, 6-foot-4 and 285 pounds, plans to announce his decision and sign with the school of his choice on the first Signing Day, Dec. 20.

“I’m just going to visit some schools and get to know the players better,” said Webb of his plans between now and December.

Webb attended an Auburn Junior Day this spring and plans to be back later this summer or fall. He’s got a long-standing relationship with offensive line coach J.B. Grimes.

“When I first met him I was in eighth grade at one of their camps, and that’s when I first got offered by them,” Webb said. “When he came back, I felt like I already knew him and it’s nice getting to have a refresher with him last time I was up there.

“I really like Auburn. It’s like being back in Oxford.”

Many recruiting analysts expect Webb to end up at Alabama where he’s visited at least a half dozen times over the past year. But he insists he didn’t grow up a fan of any schools and his finalists are all even at this time.

“I actually grew up watching MMA and UFC and that kind of stuff. My dad and I do a lot of watching fighting and boxing,” he said.

We aren't the leader but we are in the race with a chance to win this battle in the end.  Him not committing to the tide early says a lot about how serious he is about making the right choice for him.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I actually grew up watching MMA and UFC and that kind of stuff. My dad and I do a lot of watching fighting and boxing,” he said.

Well that settles it, UFC Pay Perview on the JJ-a-Tron for the whole time Webb attends Auburn. 

44DD260E-B1A0-4DC3-B2C8-FAF7AE58B3AE.gif

Which program will offer the best coaching?  Which will offer the best opportunity to get him in the pro's?  This kid, with the help of his parents will weigh all options when the final decision is made.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, jskilgro said:

bammer lock, sadly. more talented version of Reese Dismukes. 

Jumping the gun a bit- there's a reason he hasn't committed

Well that settles it then I guess we shouldn’t recruit a 5 star in state OL then.  I’m glad he let someone know even before he told any coaches 

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

Well that settles it then I guess we shouldn’t recruit a 5 star in state OL then.  I’m glad he let someone know even before he told any coaches 

that DOES settle it, yes. why spend valuable time and resources on a kid we’re in a distant 3rd for? there’s plenty of other talented guys that we can actually receive a return on our investment with. 

1 minute ago, jskilgro said:

that DOES settle it, yes. why spend valuable time and resources on a kid we’re in a distant 3rd for? there’s plenty of other talented guys that we can actually receive a return on our investment with. 

oh so he told 2 people we were 3rd but no one else.  In July and you are in an elite players Top 3 or 5 you continue to fight and recruit.  Ya'll have lost your minds.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

oh so he told 2 people we were 3rd but no one else.  In July and you are in an elite players Top 3 or 5 you continue to fight and recruit.  Ya'll have lost your minds.

it’s common knowledge among those that go outside these walls that it’s

1) bama

2) uga

3) AU

Archived