2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

You guys really are amazing. Frankly other than not getting two OT guys to begin preparing for two years down the line we did just fine. If you plug two low level 4 star OT guys we finish in top 10. We could have gotten one J. Goss in December, a very good 3 star guy who would have been ready two years down the line, but the coaches had bigger fish in mind and would not pull the trigger. Then while we are really looking good to get two of those bigger fish guys coach Hand leaves. those things happen. Otherwise we have a class we can compete with you know who and who  especially if No. 2 turns out as good as we think he will be.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Always a reason why we're not going to get a guy.  Any reasons why we will get some guys?  Anything, or is it all doom and gloom?  Don't mistake...I'm not doubting your info...but it can't be all bad.

It's not gloom and doom as much as people don't like hearing the truth.  Ugag has 3- 5* commits and 4- 4* commits for next year already.  They are on a different level right now and we are not matching it and to be honest we are not putting forth the effort to match it right now.  We are content to just sit back and say well UGA has always recruited well.  They may have but not like this.  Kirby is confidently preaching that UGA will be in the title hunt every year.  He ain't selling family and he ain't selling making you a better person.  He is selling arse whoopins and the kids are buying it.  I am not against what Gus stands for and his demeanor is what it is but he is about as exciting as a bowling shoe.  We need some recruiters.  UGA coaches ranked 1st, 4th, 9th, 13th, and 19th in recruiting.  Auburn coaches 12th, 28th, 40th, 162nd, 217th, 284th, 465th.

When you have a head coach with the personality and selling points of Gus you can't have a staff of guys that can't recruit.  It ain't hating or gloom and doom it just is what it is.

48 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

It's not gloom and doom as much as people don't like hearing the truth.  Ugag has 3- 5* commits and 4- 4* commits for next year already.  They are on a different level right now and we are not matching it and to be honest we are not putting forth the effort to match it right now.  We are content to just sit back and say well UGA has always recruited well.  They may have but not like this.  Kirby is confidently preaching that UGA will be in the title hunt every year.  He ain't selling family and he ain't selling making you a better person.  He is selling arse whoopins and the kids are buying it.  I am not against what Gus stands for and his demeanor is what it is but he is about as exciting as a bowling shoe.  We need some recruiters.  UGA coaches ranked 1st, 4th, 9th, 13th, and 19th in recruiting.  Auburn coaches 12th, 28th, 40th, 162nd, 217th, 284th, 465th.

When you have a head coach with the personality and selling points of Gus you can't have a staff of guys that can't recruit.  It ain't hating or gloom and doom it just is what it is.

the truth isn't always doom and gloom like some posters love to promote.  Our last class wasn't bad despite some failings, and this one will likely be as good or better.  So maybe  a more appropriate ratio from a trusted insider might be 75% positive inside info and 25% negative inside info.  I'm just not sure why some focus so much on the negative...unless they have an agenda.

29 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

the truth isn't always doom and gloom like some posters love to promote.  Our last class wasn't bad despite some failings, and this one will likely be as good or better.  So maybe  a more appropriate ratio from a trusted insider might be 75% positive inside info and 25% negative inside info.  I'm just not sure why some focus so much on the negative...unless they have an agenda.

I apologize if I come off as negative all the time.  It is not intended to be negative towards Auburn but I tend to call it like I see it.  What is taking place right now, to me, is not same as usual UGA always recruits better than us.  I HATE that mentality.  It is the same mentality you hear from people about how we have the best record against Saban.  How is that okay?  It is still a crappy losing record.  Auburn will never take the step Clemson took if we are all just happy to have the best losing record against Saban and happy to get our teeth kicked in by UGA on the recruiting trail because it " Has always happened".  We are so content with being good that we will never be great with any consistency.  It's like Auburn not winning back to back 10 win seasons in 40 years and only once ever.  You will hear every excuse under the moon on why it can't be done and why our rivals can do it with regularity, including Clemson.  It makes me sick and I can't for the life of me think that way.  Trust me, I would love to wake up every day and feel great about being mediocre.  Life would be so much easier.

My agenda, as far as Auburn is concerned, is to compete and kick the dog out of who we are supposed to and play to our maximum ability in a loss.  I don't care if it is Tennis or Gymnastics.  I don't feel that Auburn should play second fiddle to anyone and I dang sure don't take solace in almost's and could haves.  

39 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I apologize if I come off as negative all the time.  It is not intended to be negative towards Auburn but I tend to call it like I see it.  What is taking place right now, to me, is not same as usual UGA always recruits better than us.  I HATE that mentality.  It is the same mentality you hear from people about how we have the best record against Saban.  How is that okay?  It is still a crappy losing record.  Auburn will never take the step Clemson took if we are all just happy to have the best losing record against Saban and happy to get our teeth kicked in by UGA on the recruiting trail because it " Has always happened".  We are so content with being good that we will never be great with any consistency.  It's like Auburn not winning back to back 10 win seasons in 40 years and only once ever.  You will hear every excuse under the moon on why it can't be done and why our rivals can do it with regularity, including Clemson.  It makes me sick and I can't for the life of me think that way.  Trust me, I would love to wake up every day and feel great about being mediocre.  Life would be so much easier.

My agenda, as far as Auburn is concerned, is to compete and kick the dog out of who we are supposed to and play to our maximum ability in a loss.  I don't care if it is Tennis or Gymnastics.  I don't feel that Auburn should play second fiddle to anyone and I dang sure don't take solace in almost's and could haves.  

So North.  What are your defined suggestions?

No one on this board is content with where AU football is compared to our two biggest rivals!!! Some of us will always see what is great about Auburn and view the glass half full, but with another half yet to be filled. jmho

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

So North.  What are your defined suggestions?

I would start with people who don't feel that Auburn is a 2nd place destination.  If you say you CAN'T do something or be something long enough then it becomes the norm.  Clemson does not have a state loaded with talent either but they get it done.  I'm fine with Gus as the HC but he can't change his personality or who he is.  He cannot continue to make hires that he is comfortable with merely because they have played for him or coached with him at ASU.  My staff would definitely have a good number of recruiters that are polar opposites of Gus' personality.  Gus is somewhat of a nerd.  He's our nerd so that can't be fixed but the remainder of the staff needs to have some coaches that can get it done on the recruiting trail. Chip was 465th in the country as our OC and 102nd as an SEC assistant.  Can we get an Alpha Male who can recruit and call Gus' plays for him?  Tim Horton was 284th in the country.  Kodi Burns 162nd in the country.  That ain't setting the world on fire.  It isn't even a smolder.  Especially for Lindsey and Horton.  That is just pathetic.

Gus needs to be a head coach and find qualified candidates, like Kevin Steele, to run their teams.  Offensively every single person he has had working with him is a former player or coach he has worked with in the past.  You can only do the same thing for so long without new ideas from outside of your own playbook.  

On 1/17/2018 at 12:30 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We had a punchers chance with Webb if we made a home run hire on the OL coach. We didn't and are basically out. Kid is going to uat. We were out with Hand also. 

If anything, Grimes should give us a better chance with Webb. Grimes is one of the best out there and I think Webb will respond well to Grimes. Grimes is a no nonsense coach who the players love and respect.  I think our fate bodes well with coach Grimes and I will stand behind my comments 110% about coach Grimes. He is as good if not better technician of the OL than most of any SEC coaches.

I know we have bammers on this site who mascaraed as Auburn fans, and you can see through them if you take the time to follow their posts. I am not going to name names in that it does not accomplish anything. I think a lot of you of like mind understand why I say this and where I am coming from. We do have some loyal Auburn fans who do have a bit of negativism with their posts, and this is fine. I have this from time to time and understand where you are coming from so please take no offense.

It is genetically impossible for a bammer to come over here and be positive and supportive of this team and coaching staff. We are not fooled and have a degree of intuitiveness that true Auburn fans have that comes through consistently in posts with a degree of discernment that comes from the heart of a true Auburn man or woman. 

WDE from the Doc of ages!

My goodness people on this board can get heated in a heartbeat. We are pulling for the same team correct? I understand part of message boards is to debate but the negative feelings are silly sometimes.

Back on topic, he would be an awesome get but if he sticks with Alabama I hope he enjoys being another cog in a machine.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I know you are an Auburn man and I do understand where you are coming from. I think you love Auburn and this is what counts at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I would start with people who don't feel that Auburn is a 2nd place destination.  If you say you CAN'T do something or be something long enough then it becomes the norm.  Clemson does not have a state loaded with talent either but they get it done.  I'm fine with Gus as the HC but he can't change his personality or who he is.  He cannot continue to make hires that he is comfortable with merely because they have played for him or coached with him at ASU.  My staff would definitely have a good number of recruiters that are polar opposites of Gus' personality.  Gus is somewhat of a nerd.  He's our nerd so that can't be fixed but the remainder of the staff needs to have some coaches that can get it done on the recruiting trail. Chip was 465th in the country as our OC and 102nd as an SEC assistant.  Can we get an Alpha Male who can recruit and call Gus' plays for him?  Tim Horton was 284th in the country.  Kodi Burns 162nd in the country.  That ain't setting the world on fire.  It isn't even a smolder.  Especially for Lindsey and Horton.  That is just pathetic.

Gus needs to be a head coach and find qualified candidates, like Kevin Steele, to run their teams.  Offensively every single person he has had working with him is a former player or coach he has worked with in the past.  You can only do the same thing for so long without new ideas from outside of your own playbook.  

Nice reply.   Basically put,. Find better recruiters on offense who can coach as well or better than current O Staff?  Defense we are good right?  

16 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Sounds like you need to switch and become a DullDawg fan. Then the wall-size pictures of Kirby in your man cave won't seem so weird.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Sounds like you need to switch and become a DullDawg fan. Then the wall-size pictures of Kirby in your man cave won't seem so weird.

Yep.  Why would I want Auburn to compete with UGA anyway.  It's just the longest rivalry in the south.  I'll just look at the aforementioned facts and do like many on here do and think man we are in good shape.  We never beat them at that anyway.

And for the record, I hate UGA with a passion I will match with anyone and I think Kirby looks like a sexually confused PE Teacher.  I respect what he is doing and to be honest with you I like how he is doing it and I can relate better to how he does things than Gustav.

22 hours ago, toddc said:

No one on this board is content with where AU football is compared to our two biggest rivals!!! Some of us will always see what is great about Auburn and view the glass half full, but with another half yet to be filled. jmho

you are right with many things you say. We did manage to beat those teams within a span of a few weeks and in my book, this goes a long way in keeping us on a level playing field with the turds and the mutts. There is a ton of room for improvement indeed. I see our 2018 Tigers being super competitive and capable of beating these 2 teams and the rest of our schedule. Will we go undefeated? Who knows, but we very well could achieve this. I really like this team and think we will see quality on both sides of the ball. Realistically, I see us going 9-3 to 11-1 in 2018 and being highly competitive in every game we play. 

On 2/14/2018 at 4:38 PM, NorthGATiger said:

So how in the world does a team that finishes 12th in recruiting not have anyone ranked higher than 12th?  If someone ran 7 race finishing anywhere from 12th to 465th, would they have any chance of finishing 12th in the combined standings?  Doesn’t make any sense.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

We need to find a way to get Dale McGee, an Auburn grad, away from muttville and as a well paid recruiting coordinator.  I think if we offer a super sweet package to Dale and one that the dogs cannot or will not match, he will come home to mamma asap!

19 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Nice reply.   Basically put,. Find better recruiters on offense who can coach as well or better than current O Staff?  Defense we are good right?  

We need Dale McGee to come home to Auburn as our recruiting coordinator. Make him an offer he cannot refuse!

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

We need Dale McGee to come home to Auburn as our recruiting coordinator. Make him an offer he cannot refuse!

Doc ,I think his name is Dell.

We are ranked in the top five of almost all of the prediction models for 2018 season, so at least on paper (computers)  , we should be pretty competitive next year! The Washington game will tell us a lot!

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

We need to find a way to get Dale McGee, an Auburn grad, away from muttville and as a well paid recruiting coordinator.  I think if we offer a super sweet package to Dale and one that the dogs cannot or will not match, he will come home to mamma asap!

Sorry to tell you he's not ready to come home to momma.................

1 hour ago, toddc said:

We are ranked in the top five of almost all of the prediction models for 2018 season, so at least on paper (computers)  , we should be pretty competitive next year! The Washington game will tell us a lot!

I think that is a very unfair expectation that the media or whomever is placing on Auburn.  We basically have no returning RB with any game experience except Kam Martin and we lost a good bit from an offensive line.  We lost our best corner, our best safeties,  our middle LB, our starting kicker, and our best pass rusher.  I am not sure what they are seeing that I'm not.

19 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think that is a very unfair expectation that the media or whomever is placing on Auburn.  We basically have no returning RB with any game experience except Kam Martin and we lost a good bit from an offensive line.  We lost our best corner, our best safeties,  our middle LB, our starting kicker, and our best pass rusher.  I am not sure what they are seeing that I'm not.

Jarrett Stidham back, six starters from defense returning, all recievers returning, best hs kicker coming, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, T-will, etc....Aussie punter, three offensive linemen who started at times last year..

My point is, a lot of good things going on here at AU and I think it is why we’re getting some love! Not all doom and gloom!

5 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Yep.  Why would I want Auburn to compete with UGA anyway.  It's just the longest rivalry in the south.  I'll just look at the aforementioned facts and do like many on here do and think man we are in good shape.  We never beat them at that anyway.

And for the record, I hate UGA with a passion I will match with anyone and I think Kirby looks like a sexually confused PE Teacher.  I respect what he is doing and to be honest with you I like how he is doing it and I can relate better to how he does things than Gustav.

I hate GA too.   Went to the AU GA game but not the iron bowl.   I think GA,. Because they are the state school in that talent laden state will always always out recruit us their.    I always thought Auburn , Clemson, and FSU needed to recruit differently than Georgia, Alabama and Florida.    Clemson and FSU seem to have done better than us recently.  

Archived