2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

On 2/19/2018 at 6:16 PM, augolf1716 said:

Hey watch it buddy my wife is a Hatfield her great great grandfather was  Jim "Bad" Vance

https://www.geni.com/people/Uncle-Jim-Bad-Vance/6000000001650535833

How about that?  Pretty Cool!  I love history and even before the series Hatfields & McCoys  I loved reading anything about them.  I spent some time in West Virginia so I guess that is where my interest came from.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, tinman said:

How about that?  Pretty Cool!  I love history and even before the series Hatfields & McCoys  I loved reading anything about them.  I spent some time in West Virginia so I guess that is where my interest came from.

Same here it was one of my three majors at Auburn. We've visited some of the old family grave sites lots of history

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Same here it was one of my three majors at Auburn. We've visited some of the old family grave sites lots of history

Did your history book read like, "yesterday Alex went to yard..." 

22 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

AUallday  

Mediocre poster.

Hates  Fun, engaging conversations.

Nah, i live a fun filled life G

I just think anything not about Clay Webb in this specific thread should at least be more like this

21 hours ago, Zeek said:

Clay Webb is a pretty cool cat. I wonder if he could become an anchor and leader for a young group of OL. I'd love to get 5 studs who play together for four years. Miss me some Reese Dismukes

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Others wishing to get the conversation back on topic, take heed. 

Good call on Dismukes. I felt like Ryan Pugh was almost as integral to our success in 2010. Dunn coming on this past season was huge. I've come to believe that a good center is as important to our offense as any other position besides QB. 

Thats why i think Clay and Bo are 2 important players

3 minutes ago, alexava said:

Who is this “Bo” fellow that keeps getting mentioned? 

Bo Bice runner up on American Idol. DUH! Come on A! lol

On 2/19/2018 at 10:44 AM, AUsince72 said:

How bout we all (Hatfields AND McCoys) just forget 2017 ever happened.  Then, to do that successfully, let's forget 2016 & 2015 too.  Then, let's forget 2014, that started this trend.

I, for one, am looking forward to Auburn University's inaugural collegiate football season in 2018.

I hope we do well enough to garner interest from guys like Webb to build on our success going into the program's 2nd season.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:42 AM, looney said:

I, for one, am looking forward to Auburn University's inaugural collegiate football season in 2018.

I hope we do well enough to garner interest from guys like Webb to build on our success going into the program's 2nd season.

Haha- I thought this was another one of a4e's posts when I first read it

What will win Webb over? "The atmosphere at Auburn really stands out to me. It is just about how it feels for me there. It feels a lot like home and I really like it a lot."
Or how
Saban is a great coach and they work really hard at winning championships.

4 hours ago, Pedaler said:

Haha- I thought this was another one of a4e's posts when I first read it

Nice. I will consider that a victory.

On 2/20/2018 at 10:35 PM, alexava said:

He rocked “Whippin Post”. 

He REALLY rocked "In A Dream." And took a big risk going acapella. But this is the performance I felt should of won it for him. 

As far as Webb goes, it would sure be nice to sign him, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This kid has bama written all over him. Although, so did Troxell... and I wasn't holding my breath with him, but I just don't see it happening... sure would be nice though...

10 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He REALLY rocked "In A Dream." And took a big risk going acapella. But this is the performance I felt should of won it for him. 

As far as Webb goes, it would sure be nice to sign him, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This kid has bama written all over him. Although, so did Troxell... and I wasn't holding my breath with him, but I just don't see it happening... sure would be nice though...

I don't think he wanted to win. That was awesome but I didn't remember the song title. 

Getting Clay and Bo would be really big. I think if we get both, it will open the door for a lot more blue chip recruits to not only think about Auburn, but sign with the Tigers after their visits to the Plains.

48 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Getting Clay and Bo would be really big. I think if we get both, it will open the door for a lot more blue chip recruits to not only think about Auburn, but sign with the Tigers after their visits to the Plains.

I agree with a4e...

We need a few more big names to get the ball rolling.

• 4 weeks later...

5-star OL Clay Webb, No. 1 prospect in Alabama, updates his recruitment, sets tentative decision timeline

State of Alabama’s No. 1 target updates timeline

ATLANTA — When Clay Webb isn’t busy being the No. 1 football prospect in Alabama, he’s wrestling.

Webb helped Oxford (Ala.) High to the AHSAA state duals title this spring. Wanting to place all his focus into that, Webb hasn’t done much with his recruitment since the fall. He expects that to change soon with a few upcoming visits, but he has nothing set yet. For Auburn, keep an eye on the April 7 spring game as his most likely return date.

The quick-twitch offensive lineman re-established himself on the recruiting circuit Sunday at the Atlanta Opening regional. He earned an Opening finals invite following the camp.

With his attention fully turned to football and recruiting, Webb still doesn’t expect to make his decision in the immediate future. He will be an early enrollee, however.

“December, most likely,” Webb said. “I’m going to take my time. I just got out of wrestling season, so I’m about to start on spring practice.”

Webb has been most closely linked to Auburn and Alabama, though Georgia, Florida and Clemson are out-of-state programs keeping Webb interested. He will take a few visits this spring and fall — perhaps a few Midwest and West Coast official visits — but it’s likely to come down to an Iron Bowl recruiting battle.

What will he be looking for?

“Show me how I fit in,” Webb said. “Let me get with the players and show me what it’s like, getting to know the coaches better.”

Digging into the Auburn-Alabama battle for Clay Webb

Webb has been the top player in Alabama for two cycles, and both in-state schools have been recruiting him since his freshman year.

Even with the out-of-state pushes, Webb admits the Crimson Tide and Tigers have a bit of an advantage.

“Oh yes sir, just because of their radius and distance to me,” Webb said.

Webb has two in-state friendships that will weigh heavy in this decision.

At Alabama, it’s fellow offensive line target Pierce Quick, a vocal leader in the Crimson Tide class.

“He wants me to come there and play with him. He wants me to be his little buddy, stay with him there the entire time,” Webb said. “Oh yes [it helps Alabama], I’ll already have an upper edge on knowing somebody there and get straight to the program with someone I know.”

At Auburn, the head of the class Bo Nix and his high school teammate K.J. Britt have been the main player recruiters.

The message from Nix is a fairly simple one.

“Hey, Clay, why don’t you come here and block for me, all right?” Webb said, laughing. “He wants me to go there.”

As for the coaching relationships, Alabama holds an edge. Webb said his closest bond is with Crimson Tide offensive line coach Brent Key, who he referred to as “like a really, really, really close uncle.”

Auburn isn’t completely starting from scratch, however, through its O-line coaching change.

Webb knew J.B. Grimes during the early stages of his recruitment, and they’ve reconnected since Grimes’ return to the program. That will only help the Tigers as they battle it out with the Crimson Tide for the state’s top prospect.

“I feel like I kind of have an advantage with that since I’ve already known the guy for a while. … I like him, just his coaching style,” Webb said. “I already like the team, all the players, how they come together automatically like brothers, the way the team just carries itself.”

really, really, really close uncle

There are so many Woodshed jokes to go along with this line that I almost can't contain myself!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to a teacher at Oxford this past weekend that was asked to take clay down to AU today. Does anybody know if he made it down? He said he doesn’t know where clay will end up but that clays really good friends with the kid that’s committed to bama from Trussville.

Not sure I understand all of this love for Webb. Kid is a bama lack as a bama lock can be. The one to be focused on and really worried about is Morris. Morris is the must get of this class, along with another elite OT. 

20 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure I understand all of this love for Webb. Kid is a bama lack as a bama lock can be. The one to be focused on and really worried about is Morris. Morris is the must get of this class, along with another elite OT. 

Well he keeps visiting AU. As long as he does that AU fans will talk about him.

The one thing I have learned over the years is not to question WarDamnEagleWDE over his predictions. He isn't right all the time, but its fairly impressive just how accurate he has been. 

Archived