2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

image.png

7 offers including AU, Bama, UGA, Clemson, & Florida
Most assume he will go to Bama but he has visited AU just as much.
Webb & Bo Nix are very close friends so that may help here

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five-star OL Clay Webb focused on building relationships

Chad Simmons • Rivals.com

The 6-foot-4, 295 pound junior offensive lineman out of Oxford (Ala.) is a top 10 prospect in 2019 and he could play up front for any school in America, but he is focused on four.

Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and Georgia are Webb's top four schools and when the time comes, he feels he choose one of those to sign with.

"I feel confident it will be one of those schools when I do make my decision," said Webb. "I will wait until after my senior season to commit, but when I do, it will be to one of those four schools."

Webb has visited each of those schools at least twice already and he plans to see each of them again the first half of 2018. Each will be important and he will be focused on one thing — getting to know the people on each campus better.

"Visits for me now will definitely be about relationships. I am just trying to improve my relationships with coaches and players and just trying to see how I fit in the spectrum of things.

"Players and coaches do come and go, but I want to see who I get along with, where I fit in best at and things like that. That will be the main thing I look for moving forward."

The school that made the biggest move during the season was Auburn. He took in a couple of games there and the environment put the Tigers in his top four.

"The atmosphere at Auburn really stands out to me. It is just about how it feels for me there. It feels a lot like home and I really like it a lot."

Alabama has a similar feel. Webb has visited Tuscaloosa more than anywhere and he has a good feel for what the Tide is all about.

"Alabama is just a great program," said Webb. "They know how to win, they work really hard and coach Nick Saban has done a great job there."

Clemson and Georgia are going to do all they can do to convince Webb to leave his home state. Each school has impressed him on previous visits and he has connected well with the people there.

"Clemson has good people and I fit in well there. I like the coaches a lot, the players are great and the atmosphere feels it fits me.

"I feel the same about Georgia. I think Georgia did some really good things in year two under coach [Kirby] Smart. I really like the offensive line coach (Sam Pittman) and offensive coordinator (Jim Chaney) a lot. Those coaches are good guys and they are part of the reason I like Georgia so much."

Webb made it clear that there is no order at this time. All four schools are on a level playing field and he said he will chose the one he feels is right for him when that time comes.

"I could go to any of those schools and be happy," said Webb. "I do not feel pressure to stay in Alabama. I do not even think about that. I will go to the school I feel fits me the best."

Just now, afblue said:

Please, tell us more.

We had a punchers chance with Webb if we made a home run hire on the OL coach. We didn't and are basically out. Kid is going to uat. We were out with Hand also. 

13 minutes ago, fredst said:

I'm assuming that means not in a good way,lol

No. Could have made a run after Herb left with a splash hire. Grimes isn't going to get kids like this. uga, Clemson and uat battle now. Kid will end up at uat. 

uat and uga have stud OL recruiting coaches. Going to be hard for AU to win any battles in Alabama or Georgia on the OL. Oh well. 

At least Grimes is a OK coach. 

28 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

No. Could have made a run after Herb left with a splash hire. Grimes isn't going to get kids like this. uga, Clemson and uat battle now. Kid will end up at uat. 

uat and uga have stud OL recruiting coaches. Going to be hard for AU to win any battles in Alabama or Georgia on the OL. Oh well. 

At least Grimes is a OK coach. 

You do realize JB doesn't have to be the point man on the recruitment right? T-Will & Porter have been the point men on a number of commits we have in the 2018 class that don't play their respective positions.

33 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You do realize JB doesn't have to be the point man on the recruitment right? T-Will & Porter have been the point men on a number of commits we have in the 2018 class that don't play their respective positions.

Any elite recruiting OL coach is going to out-recruit some "point-man" from elsewhere on the staff for an OL recruit.  Who will the OL recruit spend time with all day? The OL coach, or T-Will who doesn't even coach offense?

What you are suggesting only works if you are recruiting against lame-duck coaches.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You do know that uat and uga have a point man and the OL coach involved in this recruitment. And that does have a huge impact, especially when both of those OL coaches are elite recruiters. 

Just now, metafour said:

Any elite recruiting OL coach is going to out-recruit some "point-man" from elsewhere on the staff for an OL recruit.  Who will the OL recruit spend time with all day? The OL coach, or T-Will who doesn't even coach offense?

What you are suggesting only works if you are recruiting against lame-duck coaches.

Just beat me to this. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You do know that uat and uga have a point man and the OL coach involved in this recruitment. And that does have a huge impact, especially when both of those OL coaches are elite recruiters. 

Unfortunately there are only about 3 elite recruiting OL coaches in the country. Not like we had a lot to choose from on the recruiting front. I'm like @bigbird, I would rather have gone with a young coach hungry to prove himself on the recruiting trail.

If I knew you were going to take a big ol stinky dump in this thread today WDE I would not have wasted my time creating it.

People acting like they definitely know stuff is laughable. There are plenty of reasons for an offensive line man to want to play for Auburn. Grimes can coach them up to the pro level. Has before. I think recruits know that

42 minutes ago, metafour said:

Again, at least a couple OLs (including Kim) signed only after and because they hung out with Grimes. If they get a kid on campus, Grimes will spend time with him. Maybe not the love that a lot of elite kids are looking for, and maybe we need more to get Webb on campus, but you guys are going a little overboard on this. 

High everyone,

With this special Herb in my Hand, I reflect on the "Plains" facts......... I hope you don't find the following Lines Offensive.

Hand, Grimes or any other OL coach would get elite recruits if they were at UA because they would have the REC "process" behind them. 

Every coach at UA is considered an elite recruiter until they go somewhere else and every coach they hire instantly becomes an elite recruiter when they get there. Comparing other coaches to that staff is comparing rotting apples to oranges.  

Lashley was getting Gatewood to Auburn, but he wouldn't get him to UConn, despite the "relationship" that he built. It's not that he forgot how to recruit, just that the place he was representing changed.

Also, Auburn has managed to convince quite a few excellent OL to enroll at our school over the years, even though it seems our OL coaches were not "great recruiters"! Some even managed to make it to the NFL, in spite of our OL coaching deficiencies.

And despite the awful OL this year, we still had the number one rusher in the SEC, again. He also managed to be named offensive POY. Amazing.

Thanks for listening! Enjoy your Day! 

MaryJane Feelinhigh

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If I knew you were going to take a big ol stinky dump in this thread today WDE I would not have wasted my time creating it.

Related image

3 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Just a little.....but might of used an ace gif at the wrong time.....lol

I personally don't mind if you recycle it. Not at all. It is definitely ace. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I personally don't mind if you recycle it. Not at all. It is definitely ace. 

agreed.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Again, at least a couple OLs (including Kim) signed only after and because they hung out with Grimes. If they get a kid on campus, Grimes will spend time with him. Maybe not the love that a lot of elite kids are looking for, and maybe we need more to get Webb on campus, but you guys are going a little overboard on this. 

Exactly! This guy is already going to visit Auburn several more times. Grimes, while he may hate the road, has been a very effective recruiter when he spends time with prospects in an on-campus situation. Compared to Hand, I think our case for signing Webb just strengthened.

I think our biggest difficulty in signing Webb will be the "Anywhere but Auburn" crap that seems to run rampant around Oxford. Should Webb ever cross UAT off his list, Anywhere but Auburn will be going full speed up there, 24/7/365. His doctor, dentist, barber and Verizon salesman will be merciless about it.

Can anyone maybe share a list of Grimes' players that helped get to the NFL?  

That may have a bigger impact on Webb than the speculation about who the "point person" is

Archived