2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

All HC have a running list of candidates they want.

If I were Gus, K. Briles would be #1 and HF would be 1a

Would AU higher-ups sign off on either of those?

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I could be wrong but I was under the impression freeze was untouchable right now as an OC. Just can’t see the SEC Commissioner  approving it. 

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I could be wrong but I was under the impression freeze was untouchable right now as an OC. Just can’t see the SEC Commissioner  approving it. 

He is absolutely fine as an OC...Zero restrictions. Only if he is hired as a HC does he have to sit 2 games.

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He is absolutely fine as an OC...Zero restrictions. Only if he is hired as a HC does he have to sit 2 games.

I thought Saban tried to hire him as an off the field analyst & the SEC office said no.

4 hours ago, tinman said:

I thought Saban tried to hire him as an off the field analyst & the SEC office said no.

Maybe there’s a limit to how many previous head coaches you can have on your staff at a time...

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

How does Clay not see this game and think he can’t come in day one and start?

Nailed it . If I am an OLine recruit I licking my chops ready to take a spot on this team . Every position will be open . Opportunity everywhere 

If your only criteria is to come in and start year one, we are a great choice.  Unfortunately, starting as a true freshman is pretty unlikely especially with Gus.  If your criteria is to go to a school and get bigger, stronger and get coached up to be a 1st round draft choice, UGA and bammer are much better choices.  How painful is that to say.  Gus has brought in retread buddy JB would can't recruit and sure isn't doing a lot of coaching.  You think bammer isn't driving home that Webb shouldn't go to Auburn because we will not get  you ready for the next level. Anyone watching Horton or Kim out there completely overmatched?  Smith absolutely should have been a 1st round draft choice for us on the OL last year but wasn't.  Gus had a chance to go out and get a young, energetic rising OL coach and as usual he went with what was comfortable - JB.  Don't recruit that OL and this is what you get.  I really hope that I am wrong here.  Why Troxall and Brahms didn't get some playing time yesterday is beyond me.  Yes I know that the coaches know much than me, but when you play like that coming down the stretch leading by 10 and can't sustain one drive, you start questioning how much the coaches really do know.  We didn't steal JB away from USC, Ohio State, UGA, or any other power.  We took him away from UConn.  

K Briles' offense won a conference championship last year and he is now at Houston.   

Hmmmm, let's think about this:

Houston has scored like 150 points in 3 games including opponents like Texas Tech and Arizona.   Not great programs, but better talent than he has.  This is his first yr at Houston.

His QB has thrown for 1,000 yds already avg 9+ yds/attempt.

Texas/LA ties for recruiting.  

...however, if we don't gain some consistency, Chip isn't going anywhere!

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

K Briles' offense won a conference championship last year and he is now at Houston.   

Hmmmm, let's think about this:

Houston has scored like 150 points in 3 games including opponents like Texas Tech and Arizona.   Not great programs, but better talent than he has.  This is his first yr at Houston.

His QB has thrown for 1,000 yds already avg 9+ yds/attempt.

Texas/LA ties for recruiting.  

...however, if we don't gain some consistency, Chip isn't going anywhere!

Yes but...those numbers seem rather normal for the Big-12 area. They don't play defense out there. Also, I don't see why anybody thinks Chip wold be going anywhere.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes but...those numbers seem rather normal for the Big-12 area. They don't play defense out there. Also, I don't see why anybody thinks Chip wold be going anywhere.

Your points are spot on.    Just making a note that K Briles is outcoaching his competition, hands down.   Agreed Chip isn't going anywhere until we win something.  

3 hours ago, Beaker said:

Chip isn't going anywhere until we win something.  

Unless he gets fired. Not predicting or hoping but coaching is a tough business, so, you never know. And, ftr, I would have been fine hiring KB instead of Chip, baggage and all

I HOPE Webb is watching this crap show OL and knows he could be a 4 year starter on the line...

On 9/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, Cardin Drake said:

I just can't get worried about RB recruiting.  Martin, Joiner, and Shivers last year was  a fantastic class. It's got to impact what this year's recruits are thinking.  I like the guys we have on the roster, and we have good depth.  I know this is probably a minority opinion, but capable running backs just aren't a scarce commodity.  If we whiff this year, it just makes it more attractive next year for us to get top guys.  

Joiner isn't going to be a RB. He wasn't recruited to be RB1 at Auburn. He was recruited with the idea of being used like Gus used Charles Clay at Tulsa... which is basically a TE that runs the ball sometimes. We have a real issue at RB. Hopefully Boobie, Worm, and Asa are the answer, but they are all 1st year players.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, bigbird said:

Wasn't the plan to hire K Briles after Lashlee left, which is what was said to have helped us sign Jarrett, and Gus was blocked from hiring Briles? I'd love nothing more than to have Briles running our offense, but it seems like I remember Gus being told he couldn't hire K Briles. 

On 9/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Mikey said:

Did you watch this last game? Did you see Chip throwing his hands up in total frustration? I did. And he could get so tired of being limited in what he can do in this offense that he just leaves. Stranger things have happened. 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:
On 9/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Mikey said:

Did you watch this last game? Did you see Chip throwing his hands up in total frustration?

Probably frustrated because the players did a poor job of executing the play he sent in. Changing schools won't address that.

"I just need to find a team that I feel like suits me," he said. "I want to be surrounded by guys that I know I'll enjoy playing around. Probably the most important thing is what the team and what the players are like."

He also mentioned that he's glad he's not on social media because it gives him more time to be with his friends.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid emphasize friends and being close with peers so much. It might bode well that he felt like the players and coaches liked him as a person and he seemed to like them as well. This kid wants to be a part of a "team" with a friendly environment. Honestly, I don't see UGA or UAT being that. They're a group of mercenaries looking to cut each other's throats for a step up to the NFL in my mind.

That being said, most sites still think it's UGA v UAT but they also acknowledge that he has kept it all so close to the vest that it's almost impossible to know where he really stands currently.

Still hoping...

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He also mentioned that he's glad he's not on social media because it gives him more time to be with his friends.

I don't think I've ever seen a kid emphasize friends and being close with peers so much. It might bode well that he felt like the players and coaches liked him as a person and he seemed to like them as well. This kid wants to be a part of a "team" with a friendly environment. Honestly, I don't see UGA or UAT being that. They're a group of mercenaries looking to cut each other's throats for a step up to the NFL in my mind.

That being said, most sites still think it's UGA v UAT but they also acknowledge that he has kept it all so close to the vest that it's almost impossible to know where he really stands currently.

Still hoping...

Me too, but when we have gone head to head vs Bama for a player they REALLY want, we haven't fared so well. I'd love to sign Webb but I won't be holding my breath. 

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Probably frustrated because the players did a poor job of executing the play he sent in. Changing schools won't address that.

No, it won't. But it will allow him to run HIS offense. Let's not pretend this is Chips offense. It's not. Chip may be calling the plays, but he is calling the plays from a small group of plays. He is calling Gus' offense. 

He would be able to run HIS offense. 

I don't think it would happen, but like I said, stranger things have happened. 

On 9/26/2018 at 8:27 AM, Zeek said:

Still hoping...

Maybe they are just like you envision at uga/uat.  But over the years, i've seen olinemen on most teams are just a bunch of big, strong, powerful, thick necked - cornbread, fried chicken & biscuits good ole boys at heart.  They pal around with each other, load on the calories, pump iron, study film, pile on more calories, push themselves at practice, load on more calories, watch more film, etc.  It's a different mindset than the mercenary mentality needed for skill position players on the elite teams.  

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, SumterAubie said:

Or until he gets tired of being 'CO' offensive coordinator.

Would it be possible for one of you who attends the games to steal Gus' headset at the opening kickoff and make sure he doesn't have a spare?

If there was ever one player that I wish the Lord would just let us have it would be Clay Webb. The kid could start from Day 1 and be a monster on the interior.

10 hours ago, L I G E R said:

I fully trust JB Grimes to recruit and stockpile the caliber of OL that we need to compete for titles.

He just needs time.  Lots and lots (and lots) of time...

We don't have time.

Archived