2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

In your opinion, what do we need to do to get better recruiting for the Oline and RBs? Get rid of Grimes and Horton?

OL discussion has been beat to death so I won't elaborate there but on RBs, I don't think Horton deserves as much flack as he gets. Gus is the one who is Noah Cain or bust right now. If it were up to Horton we would probably have a guy like Tye Edwards committed right now.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

OL discussion has been beat to death so I won't elaborate there but on RBs, I don't think Horton deserves as much flack as he gets. Gus is the one who is Noah Cain or bust right now. If it were up to Horton we would probably have a guy like Tye Edwards committed right now.

I just can't get worried about RB recruiting.  Martin, Joiner, and Shivers last year was  a fantastic class. It's got to impact what this year's recruits are thinking.  I like the guys we have on the roster, and we have good depth.  I know this is probably a minority opinion, but capable running backs just aren't a scarce commodity.  If we whiff this year, it just makes it more attractive next year for us to get top guys.  Difference makers at running back are a very scarce commodity. If Gus thinks Cain is one, I have no problem with him going for it.  Most of the time, you don't have a difference maker on your roster, but you have 3 or 4 or more very capable backs. Shoot, we wouldn't even know who Pettway is if we wouldn't have had 2 or 3 guys ahead of him wash out.  You can win without a difference maker and you can always recruit capable backs.  Make sure your OL pipeline is solid, and you'll always have a running game.   Get Webb and a few friends, and you'll get the RB's that you need.

I totally see your point, but will respectfully disagree.   I am just a fan without any real connections, but have forgotten 5x more Auburn games than I can remember, and I remember dozens!  

IMO, you take a highly recruited back that has the qualities that your program seeks - chances are he will be a 'hit'.  

1. Your coaching staff can spot and match talent that they covet.

2.  So can other strong programs, hence "highly recruited" for a reason.

3. It's a statistical probability he will be a 'hit'.

4.  Those recruits also tend to help your recruiting (like you said about Webb)

As for Auburn and backs like Pettway - Dang right, we will take lucky hits.  But you have to bring them on, develop them and you  still probably have a big-time back.    For the record, Pettway was a one-season wonderboy.  And you can only consider production, not all the "what ifs and could have beens."  

"A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" that are still developing their ability to fly... 

Count me in the crew that isn’t worried about RB. We have four freshmen who all look the part. If Gus likes a guy a lot, I’m good with waiting to see what he decides. I have a hard time believing we do any worse than Gary or Edwards. That’s a high floor at a deep position. 

OL is the focus. If we land Webb or Putnam or both, it’s a good class. No worries. If not, we’re filling with guys who aren’t Option A or B. 

Yesterday albeit against less than stellar opponent I saw Boobie look good, Shivers look good and a pleasant surprise when Joiner ran the ball both from Wildcat and RB he ran hard and fearlessly which was originally a knock on him as many said he ran tentatively and did not take advantage of his size.

10 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yesterday albeit against less than stellar opponent I saw Boobie look good, Shivers look good and a pleasant surprise when Joiner ran the ball both from Wildcat and RB he ran hard and fearlessly which was originally a knock on him as many said he ran tentatively and did not take advantage of his size.

Before I looked up to see previous posts, I read this & wondered what our RBs had to do with Clay Webb...

Another thread thrown off by RB talk.Lol

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Before I looked up to see previous posts, I read this & wondered what our RBs had to do with Clay Webb...

Another thread thrown off by RB talk.Lol

Sorry E

On 9/6/2018 at 10:52 PM, AU80cruiser said:

In your opinion, what do we need to do to get better recruiting for the Oline and RBs? Get rid of Grimes and Horton?

I don't know the answer to this. Horton has been a HUGE disappointment the last couple of years on the recruiting trail. 

I can’t help but feel the same way I did about the lineman last yr that went to Ga.    He’ll flirt with us but at the end will go to Bama.   

I'm certainly not disappointed in Horton's recruiting this past year.  Asa Martin, Shivers, and Joiner is a pretty good haul. They may not turn out as good as we hope but that's on Horton too I guess. Like Coach Grimes and Coach Brown, CTH will probably never get respect he deserves.

3 hours ago, lala said:

I can’t help but feel the same way I did about the lineman last yr that went to Ga.    He’ll flirt with us but at the end will go to Bama.   

It’s okay I have a lot of experience with this. Who says high school doesn’t prepare you for the real world?

12 hours ago, autan said:

I'm certainly not disappointed in Horton's recruiting this past year.  Asa Martin, Shivers, and Joiner is a pretty good haul. They may not turn out as good as we hope but that's on Horton too I guess. Like Coach Grimes and Coach Brown, CTH will probably never get respect he deserves.

With due respect I wouldn't give CTH much credit for them. As WDE has said Chip came in, wanted, & did the heavy lifting with Asa. Porter did a lot of work getting Worm, & We got Joiner by default because we were the only team to eventually give him a recruiting pitch he finally came around to.

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

It’s okay I have a lot of experience with this. Who says high school doesn’t prepare you for the real world?

Sooo you have a lot of experience with OL flirting with you but going to UGA...:blink:

Everybody on here would love to finish with Putnam and Webb. Putnam is probably a better shot than Webb but there is a puncher's chance. Getting both would not solve the need for a real LT prospect. We would have four very good athletic highly sought after OLs but not one of them is a true LT prospect. However, to say that if we get neither then means we are left to taking people who were not on the A or B list is not fair at this point. Certainly Jones and Dubose were on the A list and we will not know who else we may get, if not putnam and/or Webb, untill February. However, we should not on this forum say anything that would be negative or perceived to be negative about Jones or Dubose. They are top notch prospects just not the big 6'6" or so very athletic LT prospect we need in the pipeline right now. It is always possible that Prince Sammons or C. Ashley or A.Troxell will step up and be able to be that LT guy, they have the size and athletic ability, but that has not happened yet.

45 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Everybody on here would love to finish with Putnam and Webb. Putnam is probably a better shot than Webb but there is a puncher's chance. Getting both would not solve the need for a real LT prospect. We would have four very good athletic highly sought after OLs but not one of them is a true LT prospect. However, to say that if we get neither then means we are left to taking people who were not on the A or B list is not fair at this point. Certainly Jones and Dubose were on the A list and we will not know who else we may get, if not putnam and/or Webb, untill February. However, we should not on this forum say anything that would be negative or perceived to be negative about Jones or Dubose. They are top notch prospects just not the big 6'6" or so very athletic LT prospect we need in the pipeline right now. It is always possible that Prince Sammons or C. Ashley or A.Troxell will step up and be able to be that LT guy, they have the size and athletic ability, but that has not happened yet.

1. Who is Dubose? Our other committed 0L is Osborne. 2. I think you can relax a bit. I haven’t seen anywhere anyone say anything negative about Jones or Osborne. Not saying they haven’t but I haven’t seen it.

23 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

After this year, Gus needs to change running back coaches. He replace to Tim Horton with Dell McGee.

Dell is no doubt awesome but I would very happy with the more realistic scenario of moving Porter to RB coach & getting a new TE coach.

1 hour ago, War to the Eagle said:

It's a good point, though...he and Gus are buds. Might still be too nuclear, though. 

Chip could leave after this season and if he does I would want no other OC than Freeze. That would also end our chances of getting Dell even if Horton left. No way would Dell buy the co-OC title if Freeze was on the offensive staff. I realize these thoughts are premature but I hope Gus has been thinking about them already in case some of our coaches get better jobs at the end of the season.

Sorry for the derailment.

1 hour ago, AU80cruiser said:

Chip could leave after this season and if he does I would want no other OC than Freeze. That would also end our chances of getting Dell even if Horton left. No way would Dell buy the co-OC title if Freeze was on the offensive staff. I realize these thoughts are premature but I hope Gus has been thinking about them already in case some of our coaches get better jobs at the end of the season.

Sorry for the derailment.

All HC have a running list of candidates they want.

If I were Gus, K. Briles would be #1 and HF would be 1a

Archived