2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

Webb was/is a bama lean and has been.  I think Bo Nix plays into his recruitment more then the OL coach.  We have a good OL coach now.  Players want coaches that help them get better.  If he sees that in Grimes he will give us a shot.  

Webb is one of my top 3 wants for this cycle.  So I'm holding out hope.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, ellitor said:

If I knew you were going to take a big ol stinky dump in this thread today WDE I would not have wasted my time creating it.

It's the truth. We are at least 4th on his list. Could have made it close with a home run hire at the OL position. Grimes isn't going to pull Webb. 

There's a lot of time and I'd use Reese Dismukes as an example from Grimes to Webb. I'll remain hopeful. If he's 6'3" then his competition in the highlights are pretty big kids. They're all about his height. 

Auburn has seen Webb as often as possible. The Hand move shouldn’t be a huge blow for this recruitment since most of his conversation was with Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. The Tigers will undoubtedly get Grimes in front of Webb as soon as possible. This will be an Alabama, Georgia and Auburn battle where the Tigers will be serious contenders.

I'd absolutely love to pull this kid, but it seems unlikely. He seems to have UAT written all over him. But ya never know... we have pulled other OL that seemed like a Bama lock (Troxell.) But I won't be holding my breath...

Agree, with a young energetic home run hire we may have had a chance with Webb.  It would have been an uphill battle all the way. Kid and family love bammer and they have been all over him, like a recruiting machine does.  We screw around and change coaches often and, well, you know the story.  JABA.   We are wasting time trying to recruit Webb from this point forward.

Bammer has freshman OL come in and play.  It takes us 4 games into the season to find out what our OL starters should be.  I really hope JB will find his starting 5 coming out of spring and let them practice together as a unit all fall and pray for no injuries.  Gus still doesn't understand if you are going to CONSISTENTLY compete with the big dogs you have to recruit with them.  He doesn't like the smell of wolf recruiters but he better learn how to hold his nose!!

10 minutes ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

Agree, with a young energetic home run hire we may have had a chance with Webb.  It would have been an uphill battle all the way. Kid and family love bammer and they have been all over him, like a recruiting machine does.  We screw around and change coaches often and, well, you know the story.  JABA.   We are wasting time trying to recruit Webb from this point forward.

Bammer just had more coaching changes than Auburn has had. A young, energetic coach may have failed where our more experienced coach will do better. Giving up in the first quarter is not the Auburn way. Made Bryant cry on the sidelines with two blocked punts in the 4th quarter. This challenge is peanuts compared to that.

4 hours ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

Like Bama never changes assistant coaches???

2 hours ago, 17-16 said:

Like Bama never changes assistant coaches???

Bama has Saban.  We have Gus.  Huge difference as players (regardless of position) want to play for Saban.  Can't say the same for Gus.

10 minutes ago, tinman said:

Bama has Saban.  We have Gus.  Huge difference as players (regardless of position) want to play for Saban.  Can't say the same for Gus.

Recruits like to play for Gus enough for him to have had 5 straight Top 10 Classes, and one of the nations top OL classes last year. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Recruits like to play for Gus enough for him to have had 5 straight Top 10 Classes, and one of the nations top OL classes last year. 

Maybe so, but I can't recall a recruit saying "I want to come to Auburn to play for Coach Malzahn".

4 minutes ago, tinman said:

Maybe so, but I can't recall a recruit saying "I want to come to Auburn to play for Coach Malzahn".

There are plenty of recruits who have said that they think Gus is really cool and that he was a factor in their recruitments. You’re grasping for straws here bud, go on back to the football forum. 

9 hours ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

This post is JABA in terms of the section of our fans that have the little brother complex.

9 hours ago, hooverwareagle1 said:

Bammer has freshman OL come in and play.  It takes us 4 games into the season to find out what our OL starters should be.  I really hope JB will find his starting 5 coming out of spring and let them practice together as a unit all fall and pray for no injuries.  Gus still doesn't understand if you are going to CONSISTENTLY compete with the big dogs you have to recruit with them.  He doesn't like the smell of wolf recruiters but he better learn how to hold his nose!!

This is JABA too. Gus understands the importance of recruiting. 1 reason every class he's had has been in the top 10.

1 hour ago, tinman said:

A good number have said that actually.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:10 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's the truth. We are at least 4th on his list. Could have made it close with a home run hire at the OL position. Grimes isn't going to pull Webb. 

I am just glad you being skeptical about Bo Nix coming to AU did not go the way you thought it would. I WAS TERRIFIED BECAUSE OF YOU that he would go to clemson!!! lol. PHEWWWWWWWWWWW. But yah I mean this kid has bama written all over him. We never were going to get him.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:34 PM, ellitor said:

Lol. My post wasn't awkward.

lol no but it def made everyone else feel awkward for the tension it created!!! YOOOOWZERS.

On 1/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, Mikey said:

Exactly! This guy is already going to visit Auburn several more times. Grimes, while he may hate the road, has been a very effective recruiter when he spends time with prospects in an on-campus situation. Compared to Hand, I think our case for signing Webb just strengthened.

and OUR MAN T will overcame and conquered this last cycle with Britt!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!! Did I use this as a opportunity to brag on my man crush?! you gosh dang right I did! lol

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no but it def made everyone else feel awkward for the tension it created!!! YOOOOWZERS.

No tension intended. It was intended to make people laugh.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No tension intended. It was intended to male people laught.

well it did that as well at least for me. I have learned that the allen greene way is to not SHAKE IT off but instead LAUGH IT OFF!!! lol WOOOOOO!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, tinman said:

If you can't recall a recruit saying that, then you haven't been paying any attention to recruiting. Gus is a big, big weapon for us in the recruiting wars.

Archived