2019 5* OG/C Clay Webb (UGA)

ellitor

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure I understand all of this love for Webb. Kid is a bama lack as a bama lock can be. The one to be focused on and really worried about is Morris. Morris is the must get of this class, along with another elite OT. 

I know we need OT and we just picked up a good C, but we have to have true OG type guys as well.  This kid has a lot of potential to be a nasty SOB.  Which is exactly the OL I want.  I know I keep saying this on several threads, but it's true!

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You recruit the #1 player in the state at a position of need until he tells you no.  Which he hasn't done.  You even recruit him up til he signs with whomever.  

I understand the love for Clay and he's a big time recruit but never when you look at a game do you go wow that Center really made a difference unless they are bad snaps.  It's a complicated position where brains and brawn meet to create a good player.  Until you face sophisticated defenses we have no idea what any of these Centers can really do.  Maybe they are better guards then snappers. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I understand the love for Clay and he's a big time recruit but never when you look at a game do you go wow that Center really made a difference unless they are bad snaps.  It's a complicated position where brains and brawn meet to create a good player.  Until you face sophisticated defenses we have no idea what any of these Centers can really do.  Maybe they are better guards then snappers. 

Don't think he's pigeon holed at C. I've seen people say he can play any spot on the OL.

19 hours ago, corchjay said:

You recruit the #1 player in the state at a position of need until he tells you no.  Which he hasn't done.  You even recruit him up til he signs with whomever.  

Yep but Dave Rimington at Nebraska WAS a game changer at Center. I remember when they took us to the woodshed in '82 in Auburn, Rimington strolled out onto the field - by himself - after all other players had cleared the field following pre game warmups. Imposing moment that momentarily hushed a pretty wild crowd. I remember thinking, what's he doing? He looked around and just strolled back to the locker room. The dude was legendary and he was a center.

23 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not sure I understand all of this love for Webb. Kid is a bama lack as a bama lock can be. The one to be focused on and really worried about is Morris. Morris is the must get of this class, along with another elite OT. 

Nix wants him, and if our QB and the foundation of the class wants him, then I want him.

35 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yep but Dave Rimington at Nebraska WAS a game changer at Center. I remember when they took us to the woodshed in '82 in Auburn, Rimington strolled out onto the field - by himself - after all other players had cleared the field following pre game warmups. Imposing moment that momentarily hushed a pretty wild crowd. I remember thinking, what's he doing? He looked around and just strolled back to the locker room. The dude was legendary and he was a center.

1 out of 1000s of centers.  Also I think he’s considered the best college center of all time or right up there.  The top award for Centers is named after him.  I think he’s the exception to the rule.  Plus a few shots of D-ball (decadurabolin) never hurt in the strength department for all those Nebraska lineman.  Remember Husky Power?

20 hours ago, corchjay said:

Casey Dunn. Maybe not an all timer for Auburn, but he earned the job and did fine. But nobody wanted to believe that would happen because he was a transfer from lowly Jax St. Nobody could point out a single shortcoming of his on film, and nobody cared that he was better when they played against us than any of our highly recruited DLs that he faced. 

Like you said, traditional athletic metrics don't tell the story at that position. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Nix wants him, and if our QB and the foundation of the class wants him, then I want him.

I want him too but it sounds like there isn't much of a chance. No one can deny that Webb is a special talent. Personally I'd love a 5* Center to build the new generation of OL around too. Who knows, crazier things have happened in recruiting. 

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I want him too but it sounds like there isn't much of a chance. No one can deny that Webb is a special talent. Personally I'd love a 5* Center to build the new generation of OL around too. Who knows, crazier things have happened in recruiting. 

My only hope is that Nix and crew get tight with him and playin' with the boys outweighs family fandom, suits, chargers, rims and whatever else the REC is offering.

We just need to get Bo to do a PSA about how it's okay to play for Auburn even if your family loves bama :)

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My only hope is that Nix and crew get tight with him and playin' with the boys outweighs family fandom, suits, chargers, rims and whatever else the REC is offering.

We just need to get Bo to do a PSA about how it's okay to play for Auburn even if your family loves bama :)

I'll never forget a kid I graduated high school with committed to Alabama as a Junior. His dad has never been in the picture, his mom was unemployed and occasionally homeless, and there weren't any other parental figures in the picture. All of a sudden for his Senior year he had a brand new Charger, and a nice apartment at one of our best resorts in the area. Nothing sketchy there.

I hate them oh so so so so much.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

1 out of 1000s of centers.  Also I think he’s considered the best college center of all time or right up there.  The top award for Centers is named after him.  I think he’s the exception to the rule.  Plus a few shots of D-ball (decadurabolin) never hurt in the strength department for all those Nebraska lineman.  Remember Husky Power?

I lived in Omaha for a while. I can tell you for a fact all those Husky linemen weren't just corn fed only.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Yes, definitely 1 in 1000. Every O lineman on every significant team of his era was juicing however - his technique, speed, judgment & attitude set him apart IMO. I only went off on this Rimington tangent because IMHO Webb is cut from the same mold. Moot conversation for us anyway probably.

28 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I lived in Omaha for a while. I can tell you for a fact all those Husky linemen weren't just corn fed only.

And that's not saying Dye's teams weren't "strong" to.  There was a reason we were bigger stronger and faster then most teams in the 80's as well.

And that's not saying Dye's teams weren't "strong" to.  There was a reason we were bigger stronger and faster then most teams in the 80's as well.

I was in school then. That run of D linemen (Rocker/Bruce/Roland/Robinson/Smith/Hill/Stallworth/ et al) was a bunch of big, bad mofos. I always wondered what they were eating over at Sewell ?....

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I was in school then. That run of D linemen (Rocker/Bruce/Roland/Robinson/Smith/Hill/Stallworth/ etc all)was a bunch of big, bad mofos. I always wondered what they were eating over at Sewell ?....

Quarterbacks and running backs

Just now, corchjay said:

Quarterbacks and running backs

I worried about us getting beat back then but never worried about getting “out-physicaled”

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

I worried about us getting beat back then but never worried about getting “out-physicaled”

That is one thing at AU that has rarely happened.  Ever.  We may not have had the talent of some other teams over the course of history especially talented depth.  But it’s been long known that any game against us is gonna be war.  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

So true, like my man Mike Webster. 

20 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We didn’t get physically whipped.  We had different technique.  

It was called the matatdore...O LE

I saw lots of times where we got physically whipped. Heck that one play in the bowl game alone, where Braden ended up somewhere behind Stidham, was a prime example. No player on UCF should have been able to do that to Braden, but our "technique" gave them leverage.

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

Ahhhh, the Ole shadow technique, where you go where they go. Some also call it the Partner Dancer technique, where the defensive player leads and the offensive player follows. For some really older guys it was called the Peter Pan technique, where the offensive guy try’s to catch his shadow, the defensive guy, but never does.

Archived