Wr's believe 2017 "was just the beginning"

WFE12

Auburn WRs believe nearly record-breaking 2017 season was ‘just the beginning’

Justin Ferguson

AUBURN, Ala. — Lost in the frustration and disappointment of Auburn football’s Peach Bowl loss to Central Florida was the fact the Tigers reached 3,000 yards passing in a single season for only the fourth time in school history.

In 2018, Auburn will return quarterback Jarrett Stidham and every receiver who finished the season with him. And that gives the Tigers plenty of optimism for the future of their passing attack.

“I feel like we could definitely take another step,” senior receiver Ryan Davis said last month. “I feel like this is just the beginning of Auburn’s passing game.”

MORE: Taking stock of young DBs Auburn football needs to rely on in 2018

Auburn’s returning production in the receiving department will be unprecedented in 2018. Take away the receiving totals from Kyle Davis, Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway, and the Tigers are still set to return 2,863 receiving yards from last season. That’s the most in school history.

Auburn’s second-highest returning production in receiving yards came in 2010, when it brought back 2,608 of its 2,857 receiving yards. Later that year, along with eventual Heisman Trophy quarterback Cam Newton, the Tigers improved to 3,002 passing yards and won a national championship.

All that firepower coming back to Auburn’s passing game at receiver is a good omen for the 2018 season. Over the last decade, Auburn’s two biggest statistical seasons have come when the Tigers returned at least 2,000 receiving yards — 2010 (2,608 to 3,002) and 2014 (2,164 to 2,984).

The Tigers have hit that magic number for improvement, and it has players excited for 2018.

“We had a really good year,” junior receiver Darius Slayton said. “When you’re able to retain so many of those guys and then bring in some new guys, I think that sets you up for success.”

Auburn football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn-Ryan Davis
Auburn wide receiver Ryan Davis’ career-long touchdown against Ole Miss set the tone for a monster 2017 season. (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

With no players leaving and four incoming freshmen set to join the team in 2018, Auburn could go as many as three-deep across its four main receiving positions.

Davis is back after smashing Auburn’s single-season receptions record with 84 in 2017. He’ll be back to run the slot position, along with potential quick-strike target and fellow senior Will Hastings.

Out wide, Auburn has Slayton, who led the team with an average of 22.17 yards per reception in 2017. Nate Craig-Myers is set for a big 2018 after finishing last season strong, and Eli Stove will return as a versatile starter at flanker.

“Tremendous improvement. We knew that was going to happen with just playing time,” offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said in December. “Those guys are as a group, I think, talented and they’ve really done a nice job of trying to be more physical and tough. … They’ve done a really nice job, and I’m looking for them to continue to improve.”

Down the depth chart, Marquis McClain and Noah Igbinoghene bring a lot of athletic potential into their sophomore seasons.

“It’s very exciting,” Igbinoghene said after the Peach Bowl. “We’ve gotten very close this season, and we’re going to be even closer as the years come. I love all of these guys, and I can’t wait for next year.”

MORE: Scouting report on Auburn’s next kicker from teammate who knows him best

Seth Williams, Matthew Hill, Anthony Schwartz and Shedrick Jackson all will push for playing time as freshmen. They represent the next wave of talent at receiver, and they’re ready to play together and learn from the older targets in Auburn’s room.

“We can’t wait,” Schwartz said last weekend. “We know this is going to be a good class for the next three or four years. Just expect a lot of points on the board.”

With Auburn’s question marks at running back following the departures of Johnson and Pettway to the NFL, the Tigers could benefit from throwing the ball more in 2018, especially early.

Davis hinted at more of an air attack in the upcoming season, even though he said he knows Auburn always will make a strong commitment to the ground game.

“Auburn’s running game is always going to be there — that’s what Auburn does, run the ball,” Davis said. “It’s always going to be a part of the program, but I feel like the passing game definitely took a big, huge leap. I think statistically you can see that as well. I feel like going forward it’s only going to prove more and more.”

Auburn’s single-season passing record is 3,282 yards, which was set mostly by Dameyune Craig in the 1997 season. With Lindsey, Stidham and a huge crop of receivers coming back, that record is in danger of falling in 2018.

It’s an ideal combination of scheme and returning talent coming together at the right time.

“Now we have Coach Lindsey’s offense, and mostly everybody’s coming back from the offensive side of the ball,” Davis said. “All the receivers are coming back. I think you’re going to see a big difference next year.”

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I posted an article last off-season of them ,particularly Eli, saying that they would be the best wr group in the nation and they didn't get open in several games. We need more than Ryan Davis, Darius Slayton, and occasional Will Hastings breathrough plays in 2018.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I would love to see some 4 wr sets with KMart.

I'm thinking you will.  

That is of course unless our fearless leader decides that Cox should be on the field for every play...  

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I just wanna see a TE seam route :bananadance:

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

How about with Joiner? 

I like their enthusiasm. It's hard to remember AU ever having the combination of talent at QB with Stidham and the depth and talent of receivers that we have coming back. It is exciting to think about all these guys coming back next year. Now, it remains to be seen if our coaching staff can build an offense that plays to their strengths. We know what they are capable of but we have also seen them perform way below their ability level.

Sorry if i sound like a debbie downer, nut i will believe any changes in Gus's offense when i see it happening in the game. He has just proven to be too stubborn. So forgive me if i seem a little dubious about thoughts of Gus innovating.  :dunno:

• WarTiger changed the title to Wr's believe 2017 "was just the beginning"
21 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Sorry if i sound like a debbie downer, nut i will believe any changes in Gus's offense when i see it happening in the game. He has just proven to be too stubborn. So forgive me if i seem a little dubious about thoughts of Gus innovating.  :dunno:

@Timeslider 6 If history is an indication of future performance, you hesitancy is justified.

If this year was any indication, and if we were truly running a Chip/Gus hybrid offense, next year's passing attack really could be explosive. We shall see. I was most impressed with how extremely balanced we were as an offense. Predictable in many ways, but when you can run for 250 and pass for 250, the defense can't just sell out on the run like they have in the past.

We have a lot of talent returning at the skill positions. We just need Grimes to work some magic on the o-line and we'll be all set for another SEC-leading offense!

Archived