AU Hires New AD Allen Greene (Updated 1/19/18: Presser Added)

ellitor

I’m liking this hire. Based off of resume alone, we could have gotten many more “qualified” options but it seems this guy must have something the others don’t- the “it” factor. Kudos to whoever went with their gut and walked out on the limb a bit with this. Change is made gradually and this is a wonderful step in the right direction it appears. He won’t be able to appease all of us all of the time, but hopefully this is the beginning of a great era for AU. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, AU-24 said:

So from the MAC to the SEC? Buffalo, really? Buffalo?

Wasn't Sir Charles who wanted us to hire a Buffalo coach a few years back?

Well, here you go!

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

I was honestly thinking about this lol. Those couple of similarities. I see what you did Auburn. 

Hahahah. So funny man . That’s my AU go to . 

I am optimistic and hopeful with this hire!!   As many have already posted, he is not a GOB goober and he actually has experience as AD instead of a ticket manager.

wde

The State University of New York at Buffalo is a public research university with campuses in Buffalo and Amherst, New York, United States. It is commonly referred to as the University at Buffalo or SUNY Buffalo, and was formerly known as the University of Buffalo.

Moto: Mens sana in corpore sano (Latin)

orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpore sano.
fortem posce animum mortis terrore carentem,
qui spatium vitae extremum inter munera ponat
naturae, qui ferre queat quoscumque labores,
nesciat irasci, cupiat nihil et potiores
Herculis aerumnas credat saevosque labores
et venere et cenis et pluma Sardanapalli.
monstro quod ipse tibi possis dare; semita certe
tranquillae per virtutem patet unica vitae.
—Roman poet Juvenal (10.356-64)

I hope you read at not of

1 hour ago, WDG said:

The State University of New York at Buffalo is a public research university with campuses in Buffalo and Amherst, New York, United States. It is commonly referred to as the University at Buffalo or SUNY Buffalo, and was formerly known as the University of Buffalo.

Moto: Mens sana in corpore sano (Latin)

orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpore sano.
fortem posce animum mortis terrore carentem,
qui spatium vitae extremum inter munera ponat
naturae, qui ferre queat quoscumque labores,
nesciat irasci, cupiat nihil et potiores
Herculis aerumnas credat saevosque labores
et venere et cenis et pluma Sardanapalli.
monstro quod ipse tibi possis dare; semita certe
tranquillae per virtutem patet unica vitae.
—Roman poet Juvenal (10.356-64)

I hope you read at not of

ABtwP3k.gif

One other thing to consider.  This hire may open the door for AU to finally play Notre Dame in football considering his ties there.  Got to think he has good relationships with the athletic administration at ND and could work something out.

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, Buffalo.  Did you read his credentials or no?  This isn't coaching.  It's largely fundraising and it seems he's done very well at UB.

Fundraising is not a problem in AU, and it hasn’t been for some time.

Just now, AU-24 said:

It has fallen off recently. The big money didn't want JJ handling any new projects.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

However, if we sever ties with those who tend to meddle in our program, it will be a problem, so it's good that he has those skills.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

It has fallen off recently. The big money didn't want JJ handling any new projects.

The money ? is there, the projects were not. If there’s one thing Auburn can do, they can hire an athletic director not qualified for the position.

Under 40? Check.

Held a job outside of Lee County? Check.

Experience in the SEC? Check.

Successful at his most current stop? Check.

Not Tim Jackson? Check.

Let the man work, he’s highly regarded in this business as an up and coming guy who is hungry for success. Not to mention he’s worked at a very successful AD at Norte Dame.

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Waiting to see if any of the good old boy network members try to pull a Fulmer. Hope his first act is to tell them all to kick rocks.

Those are the same people he will go to for money aren't they?

I would imagine it is a very fine line, requiring pretty good diplomatic skills.

21 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Wrong here. Been a huge problem the last two years. We are lacking about 400M or more to upgrade mostly the football facilities. People stopped giving Jay money  two years ago. Many think Greene will fix this. 

20 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

The money ? is there, the projects were not. If there’s one thing Auburn can do, they can hire an athletic director not qualified for the position.

That is one in the same. People who have lots of money just don't blindly give it to AU. Its given to certain projects. No one just writes AU a 1M check. That money is allocated somewhere. 

26 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Got to think he has good relationships with the athletic administration at ND and could work something out.

They must have given a positive recommendation.

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

News like this leaks purposefully to test public opinion before final approval.  Make no mistake about that.

Well I hope they realize that we largely approve!

12 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Really surprised AU hired an AA AD before bammer did. Said NO ONE EVER.

To be fair, Alabama hires seasoned coaches, AD's...etc. people who have proven themselves.

Alabama is serious, Auburn is not.  Has nothing to do with AA, this guy would not get hired at Alabama because he is too young/inexperienced. 

Auburn hires young people, to see how they work out.... 

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I am optimistic and hopeful with this hire!!   As many have already posted, he is not a GOB goober and he actually has experience as AD instead of a ticket manager.

wde

Well I wouldn't get too excited about the extent of his AD experience yet.  He was at a school where nobody outside of Buffalo cared much what happened there.....AU and the SEC is a whole different ballgame. Hoping he does well but not declaring victory just yet. 

38 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Those are the same people he will go to for money aren't they?

I would imagine it is a very fine line, requiring pretty good diplomatic skills.

If he's not creative, sure... but there are always other people with money who don't feel the need to meddle because they supported the university. That's why I applaud Auburn finding an outsider with fundraising skills.  That's the perfect combination for separating us from people who are trying to buy control vs support the institution.

17 minutes ago, Auburn06 said:

To be fair, Alabama hires seasoned coaches, AD's...etc. people who have proven themselves.

Alabama is serious, Auburn is not.  Has nothing to do with AA, this guy would not get hired at Alabama because he is too young/inexperienced. 

Auburn hires young people, to see how they work out.... 

bama has a very well oiled machine that they don't want to mess up.  They hire people who are willing to step in line and not question how things are done so they don't lose the advantages that they established. 

In the past, Auburn has hired people with Auburn ties who get the creed. It seems, now, they are moving away from that and are instead looking to bring in dynamic people who will try new things and help us grow (and hopefully still get the creed).

In the long run, it should work out better for Auburn as the corruption tied to bama's machine can't go on forever.

Really surprised with all the crybabies in this thread. What were y'all expecting? Were you guys expecting some giant name from a highly successful AD to come here and put up with the meddling from the GOB club? ??? We've all complained for the past 2 or 3 decades about the manipulation and it appears we hire a guy that has no ties to the regime and all you do is come in here and spew bitter comments? I thought Auburn people were better than that? Maybe that's just a fascade? We totally went against the usual grain with this hire and instead of reveling in excitement to what Auburn can become without the puppet strings, you whine and condescend. Ridiculous. 

Archived