AU Hires New AD Allen Greene (Updated 1/19/18: Presser Added)

ellitor

24 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

How do watch his press conference and not love him already? Seriously guys? 

I liked his press conference a lot.  Much more well spoken than his predecessor.  I hope he can weed out the leeches that remain in the AD.

wde

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gr82be said:

As stated before in multiple threads he needs to do all get can to move the Georgia game to October. 

I realize it could benefit AU if it were moved to Oct.  But why would UGA ever consider moving AU into Oct when they have to play their two (UT/UF) biggest division rivals in the same month? 

I'm sure it will take Greene 6 -12  months to get good feel for what Auburn needs and what the fans want.  Hopefully he'll just walk around campus and see visually that the exterior of JHS needs immediate attention?  I hope he doesn't think it looks grand compared to his previous stops.

Actually, the contract hasn’t been signed yet. More than 50% is guaranteed, but not the entirety of the contract supposing he gets fired. I guess they want to leave the final decision to Allen Greene before the contract is confirmed.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Clearing-up-a-few-details-on-Gus-Malzahns-new-contract-113930047/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I realize it could benefit AU if it were moved to Oct.  But why would UGA ever consider moving AU into Oct when they have to play their two (UT/UF) biggest division rivals in the same month? 

Very valid point but I'm not concerned about UGA, I just  want what's best for Auburn. September would be fine too. 

I can’t say I’m surprised that a certain poster is coming up with bogus excuses as to why he/she doesn’t like the hire. 

49 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess a school decides what it wants in the way of facilities. 

For example, ND has had 200+ consecutive sellouts which would seem to mean that they should increase seating to 110,000 or so since the demand is probably there.  Yet a number of years ago, the school actually reduced capacity by about 3000 as result of a long range vision for the program. 

JMO but any expansion should pay for itself...which is what could happen with changes in the luxury boxes but just adding general admission seats is probably a big money loser. 

I don't see how general admission is a money loser. There used to be a day before any stadiums had luxury boxes. Were all stadiums money losers in those days? Think of it this way. Season tickets are $450. If we added 10,000 seats, that's $4.5 million/year. In 10 years, that's $45 million. I think it's EASILY worth it if the seats can be sold.

Additionally, people don't go from having no-seats -> luxury boxes. People tend to go from cheap seats -> expensive seats -> luxury boxes. If Auburn quits adding general seats, they'll have fewer boosters in the future because they will not be hooking as many Auburn graduates into coming back to games with season seats, because the bar to entry is too damn high for people that live outside of a 2-3hr radius of the school who can't go to EVERY game.

Auburn could easily fill these seats for 75% of the home games at regular ticket prices. And for the other 25% of the games if they were reduced pricing, they could still be sold. I'd come down to Auburn for more games, but the decent games have tickets that roughly start at $75+ and go up to $250+. I think the bar to entry for recent graduates that live outside the Auburn bubble is just too high to hook them. And by the time they have money, they don't care to come back as much because it hasn't been a huge part of their recent life. That's on Auburn failing to reach out to the alumni base. And they're missing out on future boosters because of it.

I would actually love to see this happen.

UF/UT in Sept

UGA/AU in Sept

UT/UA in Oct

UGA/UF in Oct

UT/UGA in Nov

Would balance out the schedule for just about everyone concerned while keeping the 3rd Saturday in October and Halloween weekend Cocktail party traditions in tact.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I would actually love to see this happen.

UF/UT in Sept

UGA/AU in Sept

UT/UA in Oct

UGA/UF in Oct

UT/UGA in Nov

Would balance out the schedule for just about everyone concerned while keeping the 3rd Saturday in October and Halloween weekend Cocktail party traditions in tact.

That's a good breakdown, and some of those match-ups already exist, so there would be no skin off their nose. 

Now if someone from AU can just convince UGA & UT to help ease AU's brutal schedule by flip flopping some of the games. :dunno:

1 minute ago, keesler said:

That's a good breakdown, and some of those match-ups already exist, so there would be no skin off their nose. 

Now if someone from AU can just convince UGA & UT to help ease AU's brutal schedule by flip flopping some of the games. :dunno:

Well it would actually be beneficial for UT as well.  Gives them more time between the UF and UGA games instead of playing them both in September.  As for UGA, nothing changes for them except flip-flopping our game placement with their UT game placement.

Would be good for the conference too because the East traditionally lacks big divisional games in November.  Helps out with intrigue and conference title races.

26 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Very valid point but I'm not concerned about UGA, I just  want what's best for Auburn. September would be fine too. 

Valid point, we all want what's best for Auburn.  You do realize that making a change like this requires the opponent (UGA) to agree to the new terms as well as the SEC office, and why would UGA agree to make AU's path easier to a championship?

11 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

I don't see how general admission is a money loser. There used to be a day before any stadiums had luxury boxes. Were all stadiums money losers in those days? Think of it this way. Season tickets are $450. If we added 10,000 seats, that's $4.5 million/year. In 10 years, that's $45 million. I think it's EASILY worth it if the seats can be sold.

Additionally, people don't go from having no-seats -> luxury boxes. People tend to go from cheap seats -> expensive seats -> luxury boxes. If Auburn quits adding general seats, they'll have fewer boosters in the future because they will not be hooking as many Auburn graduates into coming back to games with season seats, because the bar to entry is too damn high for people that live outside of a 2-3hr radius of the school who can't go to EVERY game.

Auburn could easily fill these seats for 75% of the home games at regular ticket prices. And for the other 25% of the games if they were reduced pricing, they could still be sold. I'd come down to Auburn for more games, but the decent games have tickets that roughly start at $75+ and go up to $250+. I think the bar to entry for recent graduates that live outside the Auburn bubble is just too high to hook them. And by the time they have money, they don't care to come back as much because it hasn't been a huge part of their recent life. That's on Auburn failing to reach out to the alumni base. And they're missing out on future boosters because of it.

Guess I generally disagree.....AU is pricing the typical recent AU graduate out of the market already....and the heat is on to provide more student seating which is basically free so adding seats is not likely to generate revenue at the highest ticket price level except for maybe 3 or 4 games per year at most.  I'm thinking if the numbers made sense this would not be going nowhere.   

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Valid point, we all want what's best for Auburn.  You do realize that making a change like this requires the opponent (UGA) to agree to the new terms as well as the SEC office, and why would UGA agree to make AU's path easier to a championship?

We could always agree to give them back their home game that got changed a few years ago.  May help sway their thoughts if we had to go their twice back-to-back to make it up.

Just now, keesler said:

Yeah, I know. Maybe this should be on my wish list for new AD instead of expectation. 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well it would actually be beneficial for UT as well.  Gives them more time between the UF and UGA games instead of playing them both in September.  As for UGA, nothing changes for them except flip-flopping our game placement with their UT game placement.

Would be good for the conference too because the East traditionally lacks big divisional games in November.  Helps out with intrigue and conference title races.

Very true!

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Yeah, I know. Maybe this should be on my wish list for new AD instead of expectation. 

Maybe someone can get in his ear to bring it up for consideration in the SEC meetings in Destin?  At least put it on the table for discussion so that they can think through the logistics for future scheduling. 

I don't ever recall the scheduling of the AU/UGA being an issue with our fan base until this year, so I doubt the SEC office or even UGA has considered it either.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Presser including all the questions...

Thanks E. I heard his press conf.and every Auburn fan on here needs to watch it.

This guy, at first sight and sound, is a Home run hire. 

Now I know, not to be that naive, that it will take a while to see how he handles all aspects of our programs moving forward, including the ones under investigation or being scrutinized internally or involved in legally. As well as evaluating coaches, programs, and doing facility projects necessary for many of our sports programs.

But to see that he is so articulate, handled off the cuff situations (questions as well as cell phones going off in the middle of his speech), great sense of humor, but intense enough to show he will be aggressive when needed, and listen when it is required.

Just a great opening presentation I felt.

p.s. ( and looks a lot like Quentin Riggins and that actor on Super Girl...lol)....

Auburn has a fantastic finance/accounting school.  I feel absolutely positive that those bean counters know without a shadow of a doubt whether an expansion to JHS is financially feasible at this time.  I feel sure they've analyzed the potential revenue stream should AU decide to lower the current ticket prices. 

My family have been 

My family have been AU season ticket holder for football & basketball for decades, I've never known even one season where AU actually reduced the ticket prices.  Hell, I wonder now if any sport, college/professional ever lowers their ticket prices? 

Speaking of....I've got a HS basketball player, we're booster members so we get in free (hahaha I paid $250 for family booster club) and I saw were our school now charges $6 for adult admission to Friday night varsity games.  Highway robbery!

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm thinking if the numbers made sense this would not be going nowhere.   

And that could be the case at Auburn. But i know every single one of our supposed equals in the SEC has been adding 5-20K+ seating in their stadium expansions in the last 10 years. So either something is wrong at Auburn, or these schools are not our equals like we thought they were. Since 2000, we've gone from basically tied for 2nd largest stadium in the SEC to 6th, which is last of the major football schools. (LSU - 20K, Bama -20K, Texas A&M -20K, UGA - 5K).

We're now just ahead of USC and Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded again in the next 10 years leaving us just ahead of the Mississippi schools and Missouri.

Wow...pretty easy to see how this guy got the job....impressive spokesman for the school and the athletic department.... Good hire...

4 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

And that could be the case at Auburn. But i know every single one of our supposed equals in the SEC has been adding 5-20K+ seating in their stadium expansions in the last 10 years. So either something is wrong at Auburn, or these schools are not our equals like we thought they were. Since 2000, we've gone from basically tied for 2nd largest stadium in the SEC to 6th, which is last of the major football schools. (LSU - 20K, Bama -20K, Texas A&M -20K, UGA - 5K).

We're now just ahead of USC and Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded again in the next 10 years leaving us just ahead of the Mississippi schools and Missouri.

USC isn't going to expand like that anytime soon. They don't have anywhere to really do it unless they get rid of their scoreboard they just put up 5-6 yrs ago. Just won't happen. They also just spent a small fortune creating a football park outside their stadium and moving all the tailgating/parking across Bluff Road in their new VERY nice Gamecock Park. It's one of the few perks you can point to with an off-campus stadium.

Arkansas, I would think, would need to see some winning before justifying the expansions. They usually go hand in hand.

As far as we go, chalk me into the "make the gameday experience better/make the exterior more aesthetically pleasing before adding seats" group. We have a hell of a home field advantage and are widely considered one of the top 2 toughest places to play in the conference and country, and that's beating out all but one of the stadiums you referenced (Death Valley's gonna Death Valley - especially at night).

Archived