AU Hires New AD Allen Greene (Updated 1/19/18: Presser Added)

ellitor

9 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

And that could be the case at Auburn. But i know every single one of our supposed equals in the SEC has been adding 5-20K+ seating in their stadium expansions in the last 10 years. So either something is wrong at Auburn, or these schools are not our equals like we thought they were. Since 2000, we've gone from basically tied for 2nd largest stadium in the SEC to 6th, which is last of the major football schools. (LSU - 20K, Bama -20K, Texas A&M -20K, UGA - 5K).

We're now just ahead of USC and Arkansas. I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded again in the next 10 years leaving us just ahead of the Mississippi schools and Missouri.

This is an instance where size truly does not matter.  Here's a short list of some major football schools with a similar or less capacity stadium than JHS.  All of these schools have either been in the playoff, won a natty, played for a natty, or won their conference this decade.

Clemson - 81,500

Notre Dame - 80,795

Oklahoma - 86,112

Florida State - 84,000

Michigan State - 75,000

Wisconsin - 80,321

Washington - 70,183

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is an instance where size truly does not matter.  Here's a short list of some major football schools with a similar or less capacity stadium than JHS.  All of these schools have either been in the playoff, won a natty, played for a natty, or won their conference this decade.

Clemson - 81,500

Notre Dame - 80,795

Oklahoma - 86,112

Florida State - 84,000

Michigan State - 75,000

Wisconsin - 80,321

Washington - 70,183

I'm less concerned with the stadium being bigger in terms of seating capacity and more concerned with it looking better.  It needs a major facelift and amenities upgrade.  If they wanted to enclose the endzone opposite the Jaybotron with some luxury suites and some covered outside seating to get it around 90,000, fine.  But before that, it should be modernized.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I'm less concerned with the stadium being bigger in terms of seating capacity and more concerned with it looking better.  It needs a major facelift and amenities upgrade.  If they wanted to enclose the endzone opposite the Jaybotron with some luxury suites and some covered outside seating to get it around 90,000, fine.  But before that, it should be modernized.

100% agreed here.  It needs a facelift in the worst way.  Also, STOP SELLING COMMUNIST BBQ FROM DREAMLAND!

Sorry, that last one drives me nuts.

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Clemson - 81,500

Notre Dame - 80,795

Oklahoma - 86,112

Florida State - 84,000

Michigan State - 75,000

Wisconsin - 80,321

Washington - 70,183

funny that ND apparently downsized their place a few years ago....77K and spruced up some boxes....but your point is well made....thanks...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

funny that ND apparently downsized their place a few years ago....77K and spruced up some boxes....but your point is well made....thanks...

I'm going to the ND/Stanford game this year on a dads & sons trip.  So excited to see a game in South Bend.

After watching the entire 40+ minute presser, I have concluded that Greene is no ordinary guy!  He is a rocket-in-the-pocket guy and a home run hire.  

He crushed his first press conference. Great personality. Loved that he talked about his parents, who were there, his wife and kids who were also there and others that have been an influence on him. Very good speaker. Notre Dame baseball player and grad. Nice looking guy. Too early but I already like him way better than our previous guy! 

The one thing we have to get him updated on quickly is, he mentioned our school as the University of Auburn. I about laughed. I am sure he will have this figured out before the day is over. Welcome, AD Greene! I hope you career out at AU, because of your success and because of your love for AU and our AU family. 

This guy is exactly who I was hoping we'd hire. Young, energetic, commands attention and by gawd, he's a damn sharp dresser. Look, fundraising is a big, big deal. It means he knows how to sell - sell the University, the Athletics Programs, projects/expenditures. It also means he knows how to sell his vision to the people working under him. It sounds like he already "gets" Auburn, and that's important if he's going to hit the ground running. Last, I know we're not supposed to "see color", but I really appreciate the fact that we hired an African-American. I'm very excited about this hire. He at least presents to be a great face for the University. 

17 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:
52 minutes ago, AUWALT said:

If you have not watched the video then PLEASE do so. This guy is a WINNER

I don’t think you could find someone that will work harder than this guy. All the reviews ( not from sports show jockeys) but distinguished ADs and administration all have glowing reviews of this guy. I am on the Bus. WDE

I thought the best part about him was how he handled the phone ringing. :)

Great presser! I'm totally excited to see what he can do for our program. And with his personality - I think he and Gus will get along nicely. ;)

LOVED how he handled the phone - "I think we know a guy that can help you with that!" (paraphrased). :Sing:

He was confidently in command during that presser. I am very impressed. Loved his sense of humor too. Wish we could hear the questions but that's always an issue. I'm am one who is now anxiously anticipating his administration. 

6 hours ago, keesler said:

I realize it could benefit AU if it were moved to Oct.  But why would UGA ever consider moving AU into Oct when they have to play their two (UT/UF) biggest division rivals in the same month? 

You make a good point, but I am waiting for someone with nothing to lose to stare down the PTB from our rivals as Pat Dye did when he said, "The Iron Bowl WILL be played in Auburn every other year.  Make no mistake about it, no doubt about it."  (I embellished.  He most definitely did not say that last line.)  :no:

LOVE THE PRESSER...just watched the whole thing.  There's just nothing not to like!  Thank you so much!!!  If you're just tuning in to this thread, go to the first post to find it.  

20 minutes ago, alexava said:

I haven’t seen it yet but heard he is at “ the university of auburn “ ? Really?

He corrected it shortly after, no worries.

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

Someone needs to be there to welcome those recruits they get. :)

1 hour ago, alexava said:

It was a newbie mistake and he didn't repeat it. He was excited and maybe a little nervous. He really is impressive and I feel good about him.

Well, after years of watching Jethro bumble around and come across as a cretin hick in press conferences, he is definitely a breath of fresh air. Allen Greene in press conference: “A”; Jethro in press conference: “F”. Hope he is a roaring success.:)

I liked the hire before the presser, after....AD Greene looks to be an outstanding hire. Looks to be a home run hire and an excellent addition to our University.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:18 AM, gr82be said:

As stated before in multiple threads he needs to do all get can to move the Georgia game to October. 

This will require agreement from Georgia and who knows how many others. While the move would help Auburn, I don't see UGA agreeing with it as long as Tech stays a weakling, which will probably be forever. If the entire SEC would have to approve, then bammer would be in violent opposition as well. In short, while this would be good for Auburn I don't think it's something worth hoping for.

Archived