Where the 3 freshmen RB's fit into the offense

WFE12

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Which is exactly why I suspect a 85-100% Devan Barrett and/or Kam Martin (with full seasons under their belts) would have been much better options to throw at thUga than a 50-65% KJ.  But....Gus....

Aren’t Devan and Cam both about a buck 80? That’s probably got something to do with overuse of KJ. I liked Martin running the ball but picking up a blitz, he had no chance. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alexava said:

Aren’t Devan and Cam both about a buck 80? That’s probably got something to do with overuse of KJ. I liked Martin running the ball but picking up a blitz, he had no chance. 

I get that, and suspect that's Gus' reasoning as well but Gus himself says they're a "run first" team so I'd think he'd want to play to his strength.  Also, if being "small" is an issue.....quit recruiting small dudes.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

I get that, and suspect that's Gus' "reasoning" as well but Gus himself says they're a "run first" team so I'd think he'd want to play to his strength.  Also, if being "small" is an issue.....quit recruiting small dudes.

I think he has missed on the big dudes lately. I’m still hoping one of these small dudes has a tre Mason like transformation. He was too small at one point. 

You guys speculating about all these different scenarios...If nothing changes and Chip gets to call Gus's plays again....we will see the same five plays again in 2018. I'm hoping that isn't the case but until I see otherwise..I'm skeptical.

Barrett is the starting RB imo, Shivers will be #2. Kam will get sweeps and mop up duty. Joiner reminds me of a cross between Fannin and Lutz, with more speed. I think he is that type of player and don't be surprised to see him used like Fannin and Lutz right out of the gate. A guarantee HB Joiner,  RB Barrett and Scat RB Kam/Shivers in game at same time. Kam and Shivers remind me of Grant and Dyer... Joiner will get a miss direction hand off sometimes, but will pass catch and block for the others.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:31 PM, logan adams said:

By far most excited about Joiner. I’ve been craving a large RB in this offense for a while. 

Joiner has some work to do in the classroom. Wouldn't count on him in 2018. Asa is going to need to be ready to play. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Joiner has some work to do in the classroom. Wouldn't count on him in 2018. Asa is going to need to be ready to play. 

This blows my damned mind.

On 1/20/2018 at 10:37 PM, Mikey said:

Yeah, another boring SEC rushing champ coming up. I blame Gus for getting us stuck with these 1,300 yard RB's every season. Why, oh why can't we be like Vandy and put backs on the field that gain 400 yards a year?

He is right about Gus running his main guy into the ground. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This blows my damned mind.

I'm not saying Joiner isn't going to qualify but he has a lot of work to do. And this isn't on Joiner. On the Alabama school system. Big reason he is so behind. Told Joiner is a very bright kid. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm not saying Joiner isn't going to qualify but he has a lot of work to do. And this isn't on Joiner. On the Alabama school system. Big reason he is so behind. Told Joiner is a very bright kid. 

It doesn't blow my mind that he's behind, but that we'd take him with grade issues on top of the other reasons that he's an interesting commit- such has having limited spots and big needs. 

7 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He is right about Gus running his main guy into the ground. 

Pettway and KJ were both injured early in the season, long before "running into the ground" could have any effect. KJ would have finished strong had he not fallen on his shoulder awkwardly, he was going strong up until that play. I'd like to see some backup RB's play more just for depth purposes but I don't buy the "run into the ground theory". LB's and O-line guys do heavy duty every down and we don't talk about them getting run into the ground.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Pettway and KJ were both injured early in the season, long before "running into the ground" could have any effect. KJ would have finished strong had he not fallen on his shoulder awkwardly, he was going strong up until that play. I'd like to see some backup RB's play more just for depth purposes but I don't buy the "run into the ground theory". LB's and O-line guys do heavy duty every down and we don't talk about them getting run into the ground.

We will agree to disagree on this one. Football people I know say the same thing.

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We will agree to disagree on this one. Football people I know say the same thing.

We can agree to disagree. :)

4 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Barrett is the starting RB imo, Shivers will be #2. Kam will get sweeps and mop up duty. Joiner reminds me of a cross between Fannin and Lutz, with more speed. I think he is that type of player and don't be surprised to see him used like Fannin and Lutz right out of the gate. A guarantee HB Joiner,  RB Barrett and Scat RB Kam/Shivers in game at same time. Kam and Shivers remind me of Grant and Dyer... Joiner will get a miss direction hand off sometimes, but will pass catch and block for the others.

What about Miller and the QB turned RB that's getting all the buzz (forgetting his name)?

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

What about Miller and the QB turned RB that's getting all the buzz (forgetting his name)?

Whitlow, and you're right, he's likely the leader in the clubhouse.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Respectfully, though you're right about the LB's & OL on every down, there's a far cry from dishing out the hits vs taking the hits.  Very different on the body & mind.  Not to mention OL'men aren't doing "wind-sprints" every play. 

Tre Mason was actually a freakish exception in my mind...dude truly never seemed tired or hurt.  Not sure what S&C was during 2013 vs today either. 

KJ had shown a propensity to get banged up.  So, if KP was hurt/doghouse/whatever Gus should have prepared 3-4 better (at all?).

CGM always rides the hot RB into ground. I would imagine the only time we get to see a back rotation will be during A-Day and possible at the beginning of the year in September when we are still trying to figure things out. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Respectfully, though you're right about the LB's & OL on every down, there's a far cry from dishing out the hits vs taking the hits.  Very different on the body & mind.  Not to mention OL'men aren't doing "wind-sprints" every play. 

Tre Mason was actually a freakish exception in my mind...dude truly never seemed tired or hurt.  Not sure what S&C was during 2013 vs today either. 

KJ had shown a propensity to get banged up.  So, if KP was hurt/doghouse/whatever Gus should have prepared 3-4 better (at all?).

Like Dee Ford, Tre was extremely- freakishly, even, as you said- self-driven in the weight room. Whatever Russell had him doing, he was doing a lot more on his own. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This blows my mind too from a different perspective. When I was coming up Mountain Brook was one of the most well off schools in the state. If that's the case still how in the world do their guidance counselors not get their athletes in NCAA academic track immediately (which is a good bit different than the Alabama High School academic track)?

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This blows my mind too from a different perspective. When I was coming up Mountain Brook was one of the most well off schools in the state. If that's the case still how in the world do their guidance counselors not get their athletes in NCAA academic track immediately (which is a good bit different than the Alabama High School academic track)?

I might be wrong but Joiner hasn't been at Mountain Brook the whole 4 years. Why he is behind. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It doesn't blow my mind that he's behind, but that we'd take him with grade issues on top of the other reasons that he's an interesting commit- such has having limited spots and big needs. 

AU didn't know Joiner was a grade risk. Didn't ask the school about his academics till he committed. 

Archived