Ten Things You Must Do...

aujeff11

I feel like Auburn's gotten better at fundamental football since Gus has been here.  No more Ted Roof defenses with ankle tackles and players running around like a Chinese fire drill on defense.  Muschamp/Steel brought back the fundamentals, and Gus hired them to do it. 

I feel like Herb Hand moving on in his career and bringing Grimes back to train the oline was Gus' way of shoring up the oline deficiencies and we will see better fundamental blocking very soon.  People say that was a lazy hire, I think it was a smart hire - Gus knows exactly what he's getting with Grimes.... it's a no-brainer.

Looking back, Gus does seem to learn from mistakes - he may be slow to act as far as making coaching changes (retaining Rhett), but when he makes the change it has shown to be for the better.  

Now, if he can just step out of his own skin a little and trust his players & coaches, we might see even more improvement in the area of quick decision making in live game action and half time adjustments.  The man is not stupid he knows where the weaknesses are on his team and I believe he wants to win more than anyone at AU.

His new contract gives him some security in knowing his job's not on the line.  He has a new boss that hopefully will let him do his job without having "hall monitors" from the AD staff looking over his shoulder and offering "advice" or putting their own pressure on him.  I can't imagine having to listen to Jay Jacobs or any of his lackeys on anything technically related to football that wouldn't make me puke.

Better days are ahead!  WDE

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, keesler said:

I feel like Auburn's gotten better at fundamental football since Gus has been here.  No more Ted Roof defenses with ankle tackles and players running around like a Chinese fire drill on defense.  Muschamp/Steel brought back the fundamentals, and Gus hired them to do it. 

I feel like Herb Hand moving on in his career and bringing Grimes back to train the oline was Gus' way of shoring up the oline deficiencies and we will see better fundamental blocking very soon.  People say that was a lazy hire, I think it was a smart hire - Gus knows exactly what he's getting with Grimes.... it's a no-brainer.

Looking back, Gus does seem to learn from mistakes - he may be slow to act as far as making coaching changes (retaining Rhett), but when he makes the change it has shown to be for the better.  

Now, if he can just step out of his own skin a little and trust his players & coaches, we might see even more improvement in the area of quick decision making in live game action and half time adjustments.  The man is not stupid he knows where the weaknesses are on his team and I believe he wants to win more than anyone at AU.

His new contract gives him some security in knowing his job's not on the line.  He has a new boss that hopefully will let him do his job without having "hall monitors" from the AD staff looking over his shoulder and offering "advice" or putting their own pressure on him.  I can't imagine having to listen to Jay Jacobs or any of his lackeys on anything technically related to football that wouldn't make me puke.

Better days are ahead!  WDE

I agree. Auburn has been in the national conversation since Gus has gotten here and we are just one good break away from greatness. And most importantly Gus is doing it the right way. That will pay dividends down the road.

I agree with what you're saying about Gus needs to trust his players and assistant coaches. Like you said, hopefully the new contract will keep him from constantly looking over his shoulder.

Archived