Charleston Tiger

Football Only Facility

Recommended Posts

Now that JJ is no longer Auburn's AD, maybe we'll finally see Jordan-Hare Stadium start growing. I believe the last time it grew was in 1987. We went from close to the top to now real close to the botton.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




On 1/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, auburn4ever said:

Now that JJ is no longer Auburn's AD, maybe we'll finally see Jordan-Hare Stadium start growing. I believe the last time it grew was in 1987. We went from close to the top to now real close to the botton.

At least renovate it. I care more about quality than quantity right now. The renderings of the north endzone that were first released a couple years ago were a perfect example. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 3:58 PM, auburn4ever said:

Now that JJ is no longer Auburn's AD, maybe we'll finally see Jordan-Hare Stadium start growing. I believe the last time it grew was in 1987. We went from close to the top to now real close to the botton.

As long as growth doesn't also mean increased ticket prices. Our nosebleeds are not fun to watch a game from. I'd rather stay home personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

As long as growth doesn't also mean increased ticket prices. Our nosebleeds are not fun to watch a game from. I'd rather stay home personally.

This is the problem.  It is too costly to take a family because all you can afford are the nosebleeds and then they are still expensive and the game sucks.  I mean look at the profit AU made last year.  Set a precedence and lower your ticket prices so more people can come!

Edited by LKEEL75
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

This is the problem.  It is too costly to take a family because all you can afford are the nosebleeds and then they are still expensive and the game sucks.  I mean look at the profit AU made last year.  Set a precedence and lower your ticket prices so more people can come!

If I lived closer it would be different too. Can't afford the tickets on top of the 4-6 hours of travel and finding a place to stay. I say we add 20,000 seats and dramatically lower ticket prices to ensure we sell the games out.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

If I lived closer it would be different too. Can't afford the tickets on top of the 4-6 hours of travel and finding a place to stay. I say we add 20,000 seats and dramatically lower ticket prices to ensure we sell the games out.

Yeah I have about 3.5-4 hours 1 way but it would be worth it if could afford the seats.  Completely agree with an extra 20K seats & lower prices.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:27 PM, logan adams said:

The screen was an upgrade to the stadium, which was a must. 

Probably ....if he had not have done that he would have been buried under complaints that we had one of the smallest video system in the SEC  after most of the schools had installed large video screens in the past couple years. ....guess if we were going to do something, might as well go for #1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add around 7500 more seats and make them family friendly seats with special pricing for groups of 3 or more. Knock off around $12.00-$15.00 per seat for this package. Also do a super sprucing up of the stadium in the process. We have to have a football only complex without question. All of this could be tied into a major project that will take care of this.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Probably ....if he had not have done that he would have been buried under complaints that we had one of the smallest video system in the SEC  after most of the schools had installed large video screens in the past couple years. ....guess if we were going to do something, might as well go for #1. 

The screen is nice no doubt and one that stands alone in its own class. I just wished we would have addressed other issues first then go after the worlds largest jumbo-tron. The football only complex is a must and should be taken care of first before any other issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Add around 7500 more seats and make them family friendly seats with special pricing for groups of 3 or more. Knock off around $12.00-$15.00 per seat for this package. Also do a super sprucing up of the stadium in the process. We have to have a football only complex without question. All of this could be tied into a major project that will take care of this.

Could the football only building be connected to the stadium? I don't know if this would be issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

The screen is nice no doubt and one that stands alone in its own class. I just wished we would have addressed other issues first then go after the worlds largest jumbo-tron. The football only complex is a must and should be taken care of first before any other issues.

Guess I don't see it that way...check E's comment above....just need to win ballgames....in my view all this kind of stuff is just window dressing ...until you actually find some 4 or 5 star kid who said he came to AU because of something like that. 

JMO but need to spend some money on the fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Could the football only building be connected to the stadium? I don't know if this would be issue.

I do not think there is enough room to do this near the stadium. I cannot remember, but it has been stated that there are a couple of nice options to build the complex. My guess is that we will 1 up bammer with ours. One good thing about doing this after instead of before is that it gives a much better chance to do it better and have a plan to build the best facility in the state and SEC.  I do not think we will add on 20,000 seats to the stadium, but if we add 7500 seats, this would place us past UGA & Florida. Bammer, LSU, TAMU & UT all have 100,000 plus seating in their stadium. 95,000 seats is a perfect size for us if it is done right and not piece milled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Jacobs is no longer Auburn's AD, I bet we'll see some much needed changes to come soon. Changes that should have come years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I do not think there is enough room to do this near the stadium. I cannot remember, but it has been stated that there are a couple of nice options to build the complex. My guess is that we will 1 up bammer with ours. One good thing about doing this after instead of before is that it gives a much better chance to do it better and have a plan to build the best facility in the state and SEC.  I do not think we will add on 20,000 seats to the stadium, but if we add 7500 seats, this would place us past UGA & Florida. Bammer, LSU, TAMU & UT all have 100,000 plus seating in their stadium. 95,000 seats is a perfect size for us if it is done right and not piece milled.

This is funny! 

By the time our complex ever gets fully completed and operational, bammer will have been enjoying theirs for 15 yrs and they'll be ready for another upgrade by then.  It's a vicious cycle and Auburn gets further behind with every year that passes.  

We were having these damn discussions 4-5 yrs ago, promises were made by our Admin, multiple feasibility studies were performed, surveys were sent to alumni & season ticket holders.....we were told "if" the AU fan base actually wanted this major renovation then they'd have to open their wallets and pay for it....then more feasibility studies were completed, more plans and designs were poured over.....the Admin went "back to the drawing board" a time or two. 

NOW here we are one month into 2018 with NOTHING and I'd be willing to bet there's no working plan, design, or project schedule in place at this time to proceed with brick 'n mortar at any time inside the next 24 months.:banghead: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, keesler said:

This is funny! 

By the time our complex ever gets fully completed and operational, bammer will have been enjoying theirs for 15 yrs and they'll be ready for another upgrade by then.  It's a vicious cycle and Auburn gets further behind with every year that passes.  

We were having these damn discussions 4-5 yrs ago, promises were made by our Admin, multiple feasibility studies were performed, surveys were sent to alumni & season ticket holders.....we were told "if" the AU fan base actually wanted this major renovation then they'd have to open their wallets and pay for it....then more feasibility studies were completed, more plans and designs were poured over.....the Admin went "back to the drawing board" a time or two. 

NOW here we are one month into 2018 with NOTHING and I'd be willing to bet there's no working plan, design, or project schedule in place at this time to proceed with brick 'n mortar at any time inside the next 24 months.:banghead: 

all we can do is hope. I do have a bit of hope that this will happen by 2021. Do not ask me why, it is just a hunch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

young alumni always find pricing difficult

old ones do as well. However, this is something that is very much needed and I have faith that it will get done hopefully within the next 3-4 years. I am as frustrated as any fan, but if we want to play with the big guns, we need a howitzer and not a pellet gun in order to take the fight to the elite and win our fair share of games on a consistent basis. We need to put together a string of 10 win seasons, not counting bowl or play off games. A 9 win season and a bowl win is acceptable way to get to 10 wins. Better though, to have 10 wins along with bowl and play off wins. It will most likely need to be 11 wins to get to the play offs though most seasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

young alumni always find pricing difficult

The practical do as well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The practical do as well.

Totally agree. Living out of state makes it easier to love my school from afar. We go every now and then, not all the time. Business and investing have been relatively good to us, but we are still very practical. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start times and length of games has a lot to do with the rising costs of going to games. For those out of state(many on eastern standard time), an 11 am  or 7 pm cst start time often means getting a hotel room, which conveniently require a 2 day stay on game weekends. Now back to the football only complex. I’m hopeful that with a new AD on board, a lot of the fundraising will become easier. I know I am more willing to give more now that AU has committed to a new direction in the athletic department. If Mr. Green demonstrates early on that he is making some necessary cultural changes, the funding will follow. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bigbird said:

The practical do as well.

Agree, I understand the cost of tickets as long as they are inline with other universities.  What I always hate is the raping on the hotel costs.  Paying for a flight, renting a car, etc. means easily a  $1500-$2000 weekend for myself.  Not practical for me.   My main point was that younger alumni tend to have less cash flow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 3:35 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Not generally exposed to the same level of crowd risk, but

parking/access to the engineering labs is was also problematic, as well

They have those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2018 at 6:57 PM, doc4aday said:

I do not think there is enough room to do this near the stadium. I cannot remember, but it has been stated that there are a couple of nice options to build the complex. My guess is that we will 1 up bammer with ours. One good thing about doing this after instead of before is that it gives a much better chance to do it better and have a plan to build the best facility in the state and SEC.  I do not think we will add on 20,000 seats to the stadium, but if we add 7500 seats, this would place us past UGA & Florida. Bammer, LSU, TAMU & UT all have 100,000 plus seating in their stadium. 95,000 seats is a perfect size for us if it is done right and not piece milled.

There is an old coliseum and parking lot begging for something to be put there.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a football only facility would be awesome for recruiting and keeping players out of trouble! In fact, if it were a dream world it would also be a football dorm where all the players could live and stay out of trouble. Graduate Assistants would be their RA's and they would essentially have a "bedtime" during the season where none of them would be out being idiots. I know, I know, I'm an authoritarian but these kids are here to become champions!

 

Let me walk you through my dream scenario.

 

1. Film Room / Movie Room

This is a must, I think it could double as a team movie theater as well. Looking at what some other schools have it looks like we could actually get a leg up on this one. Have a little bit more space in between the seats than most so they're not right up on top of each other. Have flip up desks so they can take notes if necessary and hooks for a backpack of some sort. I really like Oregon's but I feel like the walls could be more than just blank and dark. Throw some artwork up on there! Have interns for the athletic program working as popcorn/snack/drink servers during the movies! Look, I'm creating jobs too.

footballwant.jpg

More to come when I have time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now