Football Only Facility

Charleston Tiger

It would be great for recruiting and one day I'm sure we will have one but do people realize how much capital we have in new construction on campus? There are still some very big projects on the horizon so the first thing that has to happen is a big fundraising push for TUF if they want to build a facility like this. We have three major projects on the table moving forward for campus that doesn't involve athletics at all.

1. The second of three academic facilities where Allison and Parker Hall currently reside

2. Funchess Hall demolition and replacement

3. The third academic building that will commence a partial demolition of Haley Center (Everything but the first four floors will be brought down).

Of course these things can change but that's what is on the drawing board. We also have a few projects going on right now including the renovation/addition to Leach Science Center which has been a nightmare job so far, the construction of the Graduate School for the College of Business and the completion of renovation and construction at Gavin Engineering Labs (formerly Textile Engineering).

We need money.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

It would be great for recruiting and one day I'm sure we will have one but do people realize how much capital we have in new construction on campus? There are still some very big projects on the horizon so the first thing that has to happen is a big fundraising push for TUF if they want to build a facility like this. We have three major projects on the table moving forward for campus that doesn't involve athletics at all.

1. The second of three academic facilities where Allison and Parker Hall currently reside

3. The third academic building that will commence a partial demolition of Haley Center (Everything but the first four floors will be brought down).

Of course these things can change but that's what is on the drawing board. We also have a few projects going on right now including the renovation/addition to Leach Science Center which has been a nightmare job so far, the construction of the Graduate School for the College of Business and the completion of renovation and construction at Gavin Engineering Labs (formerly Textile Engineering).

We need money.

Wait a dadgum minute!  We've been told numerous times that the money is there - the big money donors have just been hoarding their $$ because they refused to give loads of cash to AU while Jay Jacobs was running the show.  

Seriously, all we've heard and been told for the last 3-4 yrs is that very wealthy folks are ready, willing and able to fund these football improvements and they'll scratch out those checks the minute JJ packs his bags.  Now you're telling us there's a cash crisis and we need money?:dunno:

Money isn't the issue, a plan and a desire is all that's needed. We need to be obnoxiously ambitious though and get the process completed in 24 months or less. It's becoming almost a MUST for player recruiting. Some high schools have better facilities.

On 2/6/2018 at 8:03 AM, autigeremt said:

We need money.

But... aren't all of those projects out of a completely separate budget? As I understand it, the academic side of Auburn and the Athletic side of Auburn don't cross budgets.

Looking at other teams Football Only Facility it seems like they all have an indoor practice field as well. Is there room to build a facility like this connected to the indoor field we already have? I think our best shot at one upping the other schools is to build one of these things and have football dorms installed in the same building. Give the big guys some big beds and a nice place to stay.

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

But... aren't all of those projects out of a completely separate budget? As I understand it, the academic side of Auburn and the Athletic side of Auburn don't cross budgets.

Thus the reason I said that TUF needs to get to work. The university is stretched with projects for years into the future.

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Thus the reason I said that TUF needs to get to work. The university is stretched with projects for years into the future.

Yup... if all goes as many hope, we will get to see if those donors with deep pockets were really just waiting for Jacobs to exit the building.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:03 AM, autigeremt said:

Is this even possible? To demolish the top 4 or 5 floors of a building but leave what's underneath intact? Would this also mean getting rid of the 4 wings attached to Haley or are we talking just the main center building and tower?

On 2/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, lca408 said:

Is this even possible? To demolish the top 4 or 5 floors of a building but leave what's underneath intact? Would this also mean getting rid of the 4 wings attached to Haley or are we talking just the main center building and tower?

I just re-read that post and was thinking something very similar. Taking out all but 4 floors of a building sounds like one heck of a feat of engineering (or a VERY time consuming process).

1 hour ago, aubietiger14 said:

I would think a building like Haley would almost have to be imploded.  

You could always just invite all of the alumni back, pass out hard hats and sledge hammers, and just block access to any floors you want to keep :)

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You could always just invite all of the alumni back, pass out hard hats and sledge hammers, and just block access to any floors you want to keep :)

I wish I could say I was an alumni (couldn't afford the out of state tuition) but I've heard from my dad and other family members who went there of how easy it was to navigate.  :-\     

33 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

is this a special benefit that only athletes have access to?

Guess its not a violation at updyke academy

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

When I first saw this I thought it was going to be a video about a barber who specialized in mullets...

I agree, surprised it wasn't lol

Honestly though, I really do want all the bells and whistles for Auburn but that might be one we could do without!

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I agree, surprised it wasn't lol

Honestly though, I really do want all the bells and whistles for Auburn but that might be one we could do without!

My barber was actually my source for inside info on the Tigers when I lived in Auburn, because he was also Jimmy Rane's barber, among others. Rane isn't very good at keeping his mouth shut (or at least he wasn't back then). I knew their plans for Bowden weeks before they executed them, thanks to Jimmy running his mouth and a well timed haircut on my part. If I had gone to a barber under the employ of the athletic department, you know they wouldn't be sharing secrets.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

My barber was actually my source for inside info on the Tigers when I lived in Auburn, because he was also Jimmy Rane's barber, among others. Rane isn't very good at keeping his mouth shut (or at least he wasn't back then). I knew their plans for Bowden weeks before they executed them, thanks to Jimmy running his mouth and a well timed haircut on my part. If I had gone to a barber under the employ of the athletic department, you know they wouldn't be sharing secrets.

That is simultaneously funny, interesting, and oddly awesome. Maybe I should be their barber...but I'd be terrible about leaking stuff onto the board here...

On 2/12/2018 at 12:17 PM, aubietiger14 said:

I would think a building like Haley would almost have to be imploded.  

Speaking of, I wonder when the heck this is going to happen...

On 2/6/2018 at 9:07 AM, keesler said:

Wait a dadgum minute!  We've been told numerous times that the money is there - the big money donors have just been hoarding their $$ because they refused to give loads of cash to AU while Jay Jacobs was running the show.  

Seriously, all we've heard and been told for the last 3-4 yrs is that very wealthy folks are ready, willing and able to fund these football improvements and they'll scratch out those checks the minute JJ packs his bags.  Now you're telling us there's a cash crisis and we need money?:dunno:

Money is there. The plan is not. Not yet anyways. And I'm pretty sure the money guys want to see how Greene does in his first couple months on the job before they fork over any cash. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Image result for coming to america barbershop gif

On 2/20/2018 at 2:17 PM, WFE12 said:

I was thinking this was a great idea, considering the team portraits of the football and basketball teams, but the styles in the video seem to be adding to that trend. 

On 2/20/2018 at 2:48 PM, TigerOne said:

is this a special benefit that only athletes have access to?

Guess its not a violation at updyke academy

One of the players on Twitter said that they charge $18 for a cut.

On 2/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, lionheartkc said:

I just re-read that post and was thinking something very similar. Taking out all but 4 floors of a building sounds like one heck of a feat of engineering (or a VERY time consuming process).

That’s the thought process though plans can change. 

On 2/7/2018 at 9:27 AM, lionheartkc said:

Yes that's my understanding as well.  Plus I think the university just completed a $1 billion dollar fundraiser just a couple years ago.  I think it was intended to be around $500 million but with extra donations it exceeded $1 billion if I'm not mistaken.  I think the Harbert family donated a significant amount can't remember the number. 

Edit - He donated $40 million in 2013 and $15 million in 2016.  His $40 million donation was the largest ever from an individual toward AU.

Archived