Malzahn's new contract

aubiefifty

Clearing up a few details on Gus Malzahn's new contract

Brandon Marcello

Gus Malzahn

(Photo: Inside The Auburn Tigers, Scout.com)

AUBURN, Alabama — Gus Malzahn's new contract has not been signed, but the particulars are becoming clear more than one month after agreeing to stay at Auburn.

The seven-year, $49 million deal is still being hammered out between Auburn and Malzahn’s representation, Auburn University president Steven Leath said Friday.

The primary question concerning Malzahn’s new massive deal is the guaranteed money. Rumors swirled in December the contract was 100 percent guaranteed, meaning Malzahn would be owed the entirety of his contract if he were to be fired.

“I don’t remember the percentage but it’s above 50, but well under 100,” Leath said.

Malzahn agreed to basic framework of the new deal the day after Auburn’s 28-7 loss to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game. Arkansas was courting Malzahn for its opening at the time, but Malzahn decided to stay on the Plains. He enters his sixth season as Auburn’s head coach in the fall.

“We’re still working through the final details,” Leath said. “I’m a trust guy. Gus and I are functioning well together. We know the basic tenants, we’ve drawn things up, sent to his attorney, so we’ll get that cleaned up pretty soon. You know the basic part of the deal: seven-year deal, $49 million and all the other nuances will be in there. We’ll get that done and I’m sure people will request it.”

Until Friday, Auburn had not responded to requests for information concerning the details of Malzahn’s contract.

Leath did not confirm whether the promise for a new football-only facility will be included in the contract, but he said there have been discussions. Details concerning new contracts for Malzahn's assistant coaches have also not been released.

The only thing that article "clears up" is that it's still not finalized. Definitely a mistitled article. Maybe it is meant to read that they are still clearing up a few details. :dunno:

Please hear that I like and want to support Coach Malzahn.  Truly, I do.  I've tried my best to be faithful to do so from his time here as OC.  I also like that the particulars of this contract are still on the table, whatever they may be.  I AM an eternal optimist, and I am optimistic that some of the very concerns that are repeatedly expressed on this board from the young to the old alike from all over the world will be addressed in this pre-finalized contract.  Each step Dr. Leath has made, most recently the welcoming of Allen Greene, makes me more and more confident.  Thank you, aubiefifty, for sharing!

:wareagle:

While I was and am 100% against the extension, I am glad that there is the potential to be a sizable chunk that is not guaranteed, hopefully on the backend.

If he wants to make demands and bump that guaranteed money up he better pony up on his coaching as well. That's fair right?

Good to know there may be some wiggle room above the guaranteed minimum of $0.10 per heart beat for the next 7 years.  I feel so much better now...

We can always renege on the contract. I hear Butch Jones, Jim McElwain and  Brett Bielema are all available and they have SEC experience.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We can always renege on the contract. I hear Butch Jones, Jim McElwain and  Brett Bielema are all available and they have SEC experience.

And at one time or another they were all successful coaches. :poke:  

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

But not successful in the sec. 

McLwain won two SEC East Championships. That is successful.  

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

McLwain won two SEC East Championships. That is successful.  

Well then, we agree that Malzahn is successful. I love a happy ending.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Well then, we agree that Malzahn is successful. I love a happy ending.

They took the bait, hook, line and sinker.

Archived