Tired Team

AUGoo

Wednesday night exposed us for who we are.  Live by the 3, die by the three.  bama's size really did what it was supposed to do and we could not loosen up the inside  with our outside shooting.  I was amazed that we were even in that game.  The team continued to hustle but, the trend the last three games has been to come out cold and fight to reel the game back in.  Beginning to miss FT's a little more and coming up short on 3's implies to me tired legs.  

Question for those in the know: How does a Bball team maintain its conditioning for an entire season vs keeping fresh legs for the duration of a season?  Do the coaches pick and play through certain games with tired legs and rest for other games?  I remember in years past, Tubby Smith's Wildcats would struggle through the pre-season schedule and show up after New Year's looking like world beaters.  I always assumed they played tired early and maintained fresh legs after Xmas.   What do our guys do to get that bounce back into their legs and look like they did the first few games of the SEC schedule? Or, am I totally lost on my assumptions?

19 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Wednesday night exposed us for who we are.  Live by the 3, die by the three.

I don't think this is necessarily true. We didn't live by the 3 against Ole Miss. We can grind inside if we really need to. It is how we came back against Ole Miss and Bama.

6 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. We didn't live by the 3 against Ole Miss. We can grind inside if we really need to. It is how we came back against Ole Miss and Bama.

The good thing seems to be that when the 3d aren't falling BP moves along to something else as described above.    Nice to see the 3s but for those who have watched the games pretty closely, that's not all that we have.    There is a toughness in this team that we have not seen for a while. 

Meanwhile, if we died by anything in the bama game it was FTs.. Auburn got the guys to the line that we wanted to get to the line late in the game....they just did not hit.....so hoping the shooters are back on track today. 

We definitely didn't live by the three or die by the three in any game we played all season.   AU64 is right on the money here.  Anybody that watches the games knows we aren't all about the 3 point shot.  We beat ole miss by completely changing the game plan in the 2nd half, attacking the rim and only shot only a few threes.   Tired team?   meh.  These are 18-22 year old kids.  They can run all day long.  The only time any college team would be "tired" would be playing 3-4 days in a row [like the SEC tournament].    Other than that, absolutely not.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

exactly. We tried to hit the 3 in the first half. They play great perimeter D and we were missing but still up 3 at half. 

In second half we started to go inside out, and found better shots. Out shooting % went from the 30's to the 40's in second half.

The problem was our 2 big solid scorers (Harper and Heron) had terrible nights. Combined 5-16, 0-6 from 3ptland, and 5-10 from foul line. Tough to win without them. 

But the reason we had a chance is that we are Deep. Spencer is playing with much more confidence. Okeke and Dunbar helped us in second half to keep it close.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

exactly. We tried to hit the 3 in the first half. They play great perimeter D and we were missing but still up 3 at half. 

In second half we started to go inside out, and found better shots. Out shooting % went from the 30's to the 40's in second half.

The problem was our 2 big solid scorers (Harper and Heron) had terrible nights. Combined 5-16, 0-6 from 3ptland, and 5-10 from foul line. Tough to win without them. 

But the reason we had a chance is that we are Deep. Spencer is playing with much more confidence. Okeke and Dunbar helped us in second half to keep it close.

May have been a little fatigue with those two. I noticed their FTs and 3s were hitting the front of the rim. 

We play 9 deep and the minutes are fairly evenly spread.  Brown gets the most at over 30 and depending on the night one of the 9 gets about 15.

i doubt many teams go more than 10 - and I doubt as productive as our 9th guy is.  Our up tempo could be an issue but we have semi-successfully slowed things down also

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

The good thing seems to be that when the 3d aren't falling BP moves along to something else as described above.    Nice to see the 3s but for those who have watched the games pretty closely, that's not all that we have.    There is a toughness in this team that we have not seen for a while. 

Meanwhile, if we died by anything in the bama game it was FTs.. Auburn got the guys to the line that we wanted to get to the line late in the game....they just did not hit.....so hoping the shooters are back on track today. 

Gus could learn a bit from Bruce in that you can do something different if what you are doing isn't working....right?

8 minutes ago, Apraser99 said:

Gus could learn a bit from Bruce in that you can do something different if what you are doing isn't working....right?

Might be good for BP to talk with Gus about getting his team off to a good start..:) ..been some pitiful first halves for AU the last few weeks...

It is how you finish, We finished tonight against the Ga. Dogs War Eagle

16 hours ago, WarTiger said:

We definitely didn't live by the three or die by the three in any game we played all season.   AU64 is right on the money here.  Anybody that watches the games knows we aren't all about the 3 point shot.  We beat ole miss by completely changing the game plan in the 2nd half, attacking the rim and only shot only a few threes.   Tired team?   meh.  These are 18-22 year old kids.  They can run all day long.  The only time any college team would be "tired" would be playing 3-4 days in a row [like the SEC tournament].    Other than that, absolutely not.

Or only playing 7 while the other team plays 9 ( presses you a lot. See UGA yesterday. We definitely wore them down.

If we could combine this year’s team with last year’s team then we would be unstoppable!

Last year, we came out like gangbusters in the 1st half and then either struggled to hold on to or lost big leads in the 2nd half. Total opposite this year. We start slow and then turn it on in the 2nd half. While I hope the slow starts doesn’t continue to be a trend for us, it will certainly give us confidence down the stretch to know that we have that ability to erase big deficits. War Eagle!

This team generally pushes toward its averages in 2nd halves when it falls short in 1st halves. I expect this team to continue to grow in coachability, having the "light bulbs" come on before tip instead of at the half. Bryce Brown said as much in his post-game interview with Rod and Sonny last night. 

This team played tough man on man defense in the first half the issue was the shots were not falling. The pressure they put on the ball handlers in the first half paid dividends in the second half as Georgia was a step slower and because of that started to have turnovers. Add to that how hot our 3 point shooting was in the second half and you had a major turnaround. We outscored them by 28. Murray scored two points and fouled out also did not have a great night on the boards but he also forced Mateen into multiple turnovers that led to multiple easy baskets for Auburn. Even whne he has a statistically bad game he helps us.

How come after every game Bruce has to bring up his staff is only working with 9 players? Ifs starting to sound like he’s using this year to audition for opportunities after the season. ICYMI, our P told our AD that changes may be needed. 

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1050246001?__twitter_impression=true

*I’m surprised the mods didn’t delete this post after they randomly deleted the other one*

17 hours ago, around4ever said:

May have been a little fatigue with those two. I noticed their FTs and 3s were hitting the front of the rim. 

the flu bug has been paying a visit to the team

9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

How come after every game Bruce has to bring up his staff is only working with 9 players? Ifs starting to sound like he’s using this year to audition for opportunities after the season. ICYMI, our P told our AD, that changes may be needed. 

If Leath keeps going public with private matters I hope we throw his butt off the plains and back to the cornfields and pig farms

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

If Leath keeps going public with private matters I hope we throw his butt off the plains and back to the cornfields and pig farms

This is not a private matter and the issue is not going away....Leath has to deal with it and the only reason this is still news is because BP refuses to be open about what he knew and when he knew it.  This is is public matter because Auburn is a public institution and sooner or later BP has to come clean with everyone.

14 hours ago, auburnphan said:

If you read the article, the information being discussed came from anonymous sources who said that Leath discussed the possible need to hire a basketball coach with AD candidates during the hiring process. Nothing about that is public and whoever the sources were are the issue, not Leath.

Because it is 2nd or 3rd hand info, if it is true, one might wonder if he was speaking of the women's program, and those spreading the info got it wrong or twisted it to be more salacious.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

This is not a private matter and the issue is not going away....Leath has to deal with it and the only reason this is still news is because BP refuses to be open about what he knew and when he knew it.  This is is public matter because Auburn is a public institution and sooner or later BP has to come clean with everyone.

:homer:

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

If you read the article, the information being discussed came from anonymous sources who said that Leath discussed the possible need to hire a basketball coach with AD candidates during the hiring process. Nothing about that is public and whoever the sources were are the issue, not Leath.

Because it is 2nd or 3rd hand info, if it is true, one might wonder if he was speaking of the women's program, and those spreading the info got it wrong or twisted it to be more salacious.

I know you come up with all your reasonings and conspiracy theories from reading what you can.   Some of us just simply know people at Auburn

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I know you come up with all your reasonings and conspiracy theories from reading what you can.   Some of us just simply know people at Auburn

Wow... seriously?  I'm coming up with conspiracy theories by reading the article that was presented and taking it at face value?  SMH

On 1/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, aujeff11 said:

How come after every game Bruce has to bring up his staff is only working with 9 players? Ifs starting to sound like he’s using this year to audition for opportunities after the season. ICYMI, our P told our AD, that changes may be needed. 

*I’m surprised the mods didn’t delete this post after they randomly deleted the other one*

I've been optimistically hoping when he mentions "9 players" that he's just being the salesman that he is. I will effing cry if Bruce leaves us -- whether on his own accord or if he's pushed out

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Wow... seriously?  I'm coming up with conspiracy theories by reading the article that was presented and taking it at face value?  SMH

Sorry, that came off the wrong way.  It was meant more of a compliment for what you have figured out over the last year that I have noticed.  Conspiracy theory should not be taken as a negative.  I apoligize

Archived