Tired Team

AUGoo

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Sorry, that came off the wrong way.  It was meant more of a compliment for what you have figured out over the last year that I have noticed.  Conspiracy theory should not be taken as a negative.  I apoligize

Cool.  Thanks for the explanation. :cheers:

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

This is not a private matter and the issue is not going away....Leath has to deal with it and the only reason this is still news is because BP refuses to be open about what he knew and when he knew it.  This is is public matter because Auburn is a public institution and sooner or later BP has to come clean with everyone.

This is from the linked USA Today article:

"According to two people familiar with Auburn’s hiring process, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the conversations were supposed to be private, Leath was as transparent as he could be with candidates about the state of the basketball program, which is to say he acknowledged that the new athletics director may have to hire a coach this year."

This is likely the "private matters" he was referring to. IMO the "2 sources" need to have their butts whipped. This whole article reeks of a Crepea al.wrong meaningless hit piece. Everybody knows the FBI and NCAA are circling on the Chuck Person issue. However, nothing has been leaked or reported that has directly implicated CBP or any of his other assistants in any kind of infractions/benefits related scandal or anything. This is a run-of-the-mill media hating on Auburn, per usu.

If any investigations prove CBP to have knowingly participated in any illicit activity to secure anything for any players, he will be far less intelligent than I think him to be, and it will cost him his job and career as an NCAA bball coach. I certainly don't hope this to be the case, and I don't think it will be the case, but none of us fans know much of anything for sure about anything other than what has been accepted as fact: Chuck screwed us, two assistants are suspended without given notice why, 2 of our best players ain't playing this year, and the media loves to hate Auburn athletics when we're winning.

As for Leath flapping his gums publicly about his and Bruce's communication, I wish he'd stop.

Leath's past doesn't show him to be a particularly trustworthy person with the airplane issue at ISU. But regarding this, he could've just no commented or brushed the question off. Why even subject these hard working kids to more than they've already been through by making public comments like this? Keep all of these matters completely in house. Stop giving the media any type of room to make it seem like he's trying to take a swipe at BP.

I'm not a big donor but my small contribution would stay in my pockets if Pearl is forced out without any true wrong doing. I mean something that would land AU on probation or him being involved with the Chuck Person thing. But if we are given just a taste of what AU basketball can be with the right leadership and support only for it to be ripped away due to our new President trying to flex his muscles I will feel like someone punching me in the stomach.

Maybe there is sentimental value from watching almost every game over the last 5 years, and seeing the game-by-game growth of the program since Bruce was hired makes me feel more attached but I am very much worried that we may lose Bruce. He has the potential to have our stadium renamed the Pearl Arena, and I want to see that happen in 15 years when he hopefully retires on his own accord.

Some thoughts on the USA Today article: 

(emphasis mine) 

We’re thrilled that we’re winning,” said Auburn President Steven Leath. “But it is an interesting dynamic.”

Makes me think the contrast is purposeful and he doesn’t put much weight into the winning season. 

In a sense, nothing at Auburn right now matters more than how that issue ends.

The fact that we finally have a winning season matters but this is true. If Bruce leaves, I’m not sure that we recover very fast. 

In one breath Friday, Greene made it a point in his opening comments to say: “We’re going to operate with integrity and compliance, particularly when it’s most inconvenient.” 

Interesting point here. I wonder if he’s talking about our coach Person/ Pearl situation particularly.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

In one breath Friday, Greene made it a point in his opening comments to say: “We’re going to operate with integrity and compliance, particularly when it’s most inconvenient.” 

Interesting point here. I wonder if he’s talking about our coaxh Pearl situation particularly

Indeed.... a very telling comment and I'm betting that was something he had thought about too. It's easy to do the right thing when it costs you nothing.     

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Indeed.... a very telling comment and I'm betting that was something he had thought about too. It's easy to do the right thing when it costs you nothing.     

It seems like I remember hearing from the mods on this site and others that there was no way that our team or compliance could’ve prevented this hiccup from happening. If that is the case then I don’t see why Leath would say “the NCAA is coming, yes they are.” You’d think that if there was no way for Peal to know about these illegal schemes, that he would’ve been cleared of all of this by now. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It seems like I remember hearing from the mods on this site and others that there was no way that our team or compliance could’ve prevented this hiccup from happening. If that is the case then I don’t see why Leath would say “the NCAA is coming, yes they are.” You’d think that if there was no way for Peal to know about these illegal schemes, that he would’ve been cleared of all of this by now. 

More recent NCAA  interpretation...ignorance is no excuse....but not sure how aggressively they have applied it.

If CBP was not complicit in any of the Person issues, and we have any chance to remain relevant in basketball, they better do all they can to keep him. We will have a hard time finding a better fit for us in basketball.

Count me in the group who are not a fan of AD talking to media to leak internal business and discussions. What exactly does leaking this information accomplish that is good for the university and bball team? To me it accomplished 1. taking focus away from the amazing job the team is doing. 2. confirming to recruits that AU is not committed to its coach so they should wait and see what happens. 3. putting more distrust and distance between the administration and our bball team (players and coaches included). 4. putting more pressure on bruce to speak about something he is obviously not comfortable speaking on while there is an active FBI investigation.

I'm really hoping the arrival of the new AD puts leath out of the spotlight to make comments on our teams and that Greene does a much better job handling the situation than the president has. Like for example say "Until we have solid proof of wrong doing we fully support any and all players at AU. When evidence of wrong doing by any players or coaches comes to light we will act appropriately at that time." There you have just supported your team and coach while allowing yourself the ability to act when needed. 

14 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The issue is that there is information that is being withheld by the FBI until they are done with their case, and since money changed hands (and Auburn is not bama), the NCAA wants to know all of the details so that they can slap us with as much of a punishment as they can. Don't think that there aren't people in the NCAA who are mad that they spent 18 months trying to dig something up on Cam and found nothing. If they get even the tiniest shot at us, they are going to take it.

Archived