AD Greene May Help Recruiting

Zeek

Interesting read!

Not sure it'll really have an effect but you never know.

New AD Allen Greene could impact recruit’s perception of Auburn

Matthew Stevens,

AUBURN — Not too many athletic directors can have a direct impact on athlete recruiting.

Normally, the athletic director hires the head coach, who hires his staff and among all that, the AD is in charge of fundraising for facility projects to attract nationally relevant talent. It’s possible some high-profile recruits may never meet the athletic director until they sign and arrive on campus. However, if he chooses to, new Auburn athletic director Allen Green could have an impact on the decisions of recruits and/or their parents. Montgomery native Quentin Riggins, who was on the appointed athletics director search committee, certainly thinks so.

“However, here at Auburn now they’ll see somebody who is black in an administrative role that they could pursue after graduation,” Riggins said. “Now there’s a role model that exists throughout this school and throughout the conference. He’s young enough that these guys could see themselves in these roles.”

When Auburn on Friday officially hired the school’s first African-American athletic director and only the third African-American AD in Southeastern Conference history, the historic nature of Greene’s position wasn’t to be denied. In the same week the country honored Martin Luther King’s birthday, the hiring of Greene could symbolize a progressive movement in an athletic department at a university that is admittedly historically conservative to any massive change.

“I would be naïve to sit here and think it doesn’t mean something significant,” Greene said in his introductory news conference Friday. “I’m sure there are people out there watching. I’m sure of the 400 texts that I have, people are very happy for me and for the bigger picture of our country.”

According to NCAA data for the 2016-17 season, blacks accounted for 64.5 percent of men’s basketball scholarship athletes in the Southeastern Conference. In the same academic year, 57.6 percent of SEC football student-athletes on scholarship were African-American. These statistics point to an undeniable fact that a majority of SEC scholarship athletes in football and men’s basketball are African-American, and at Auburn will have their letter of intent signed by an athletic director of a similar racial background.

Greene was also quick to point out “the other side” of the racial argument that suggests Greene’s race “isn’t a big deal.” Whether prospective student-athletes choose Auburn because they see an example in the school’s athletic administration is not where Greene will likely be judged.

“I consider myself a partner, a leader and regardless of my gender, my sexual orientation or my skin color, I’m here to serve,” Greene said Friday. “And that should transcend.”

Football coach Gus Malzahn, who attended Greene’s introductory news conference and had informal discussions with Greene after the Peach Bowl, just put together the program’s first early signing period in December. Of the 15 signees, only one was white.

Malzahn said Friday it was Greene’s immediate presence that assured him he was the right person to succeed Jay Jacobs, who hired Malzahn in 2013. The qualities Malzahn described when speaking of his previous conversations with Greene could certainly be interpreted as the abilities of a top-notch recruiter in the coaching profession.

“You sit down with him and you know right now he’s a dynamic person, he’s got great energy,” Malzahn said. “He’s the type that gets you excited, so I really feel like that’s going to rub off on everybody in our athletic department. I know our head coaches are excited, and I think that’s very important, too.”

However, before future student-athletes sign to play at Auburn, that high school basketball player or high school football prospect could have the opportunity to see a person of color and ethnic diversity in the highest authoritative power on their official campus visit. This was an opportunity never presented to Riggins when he signed in 1986 out of Robert E. Lee High to play tailback at Auburn before being moved to linebacker.

“I never saw that,” Riggins said. “Coach (Pat) Dye was my athletic director and my position coach all in one.”

Riggins, who was a team captain at Auburn in 1989 and earned second-team All-American and first-team All-SEC honors in 1988 and 1989, was a member of the search committee that helped select and interview the athletic director candidates. Riggins is a board of trustees member and vice president of government relations at Alabama Power.

Riggins did not downplay what Greene’s hiring could symbolize for a new generation of African-American student-athletes at Auburn who only see only 14 black athletic directors among the 131 NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision schools in the 2016-17 academic year.

“When less than 2 percent of college players make it a career playing in the NFL or even less in the NBA and you’re a recruit that may want a career in athletics, now you can see another way,” Riggins said. “You can see a path that doesn’t have to involve playing or on-the-field coaching. That excites me.”

• WarTiger changed the title to AD Greene May Help Recruiting
1 hour ago, Zeek said:

“However, here at Auburn now they’ll see somebody who is black in an administrative role that they could pursue after graduation,” Riggins said. “Now there’s a role model that exists throughout this school and throughout the conference. He’s young enough that these guys could see themselves in these roles.”

That was one of the first things that occurred to me when he was announced.  I agree.  Having had personal contact with Q on the softball field over the years while he was coaching his daughter,  I see similarities between the two gentlemen.  Both seem genuine and very articulate.  I am happy with this hire.

I long for the day when these thoughts and discussions never occur because we no longer even think in these terms. I’m also not naive enough to think it will likely happen in my lifetime, if ever (sadly). Until that time, maybe it helps.

I used to think this every time a black head coach was hired. It just doesn’t hold up. It certainly doesn’t hurt anything. So far I like the hire. I just don’t think an ad is going to have much effect on this program. 

I have been nothing but impressed with AD Greene. He seems to be just what Auburn needs to take our athletic programs to the next level. A 180 from JJ no doubt. I really think he will do everything in his power to get a football only facility that will be on par, if not better than those in the SEC and nation.

2 hours ago, fredst said:

I long for the day when these thoughts and discussions never occur because we no longer even think in these terms. I’m also not naive enough to think it will likely happen in my lifetime, if ever (sadly). Until that time, maybe it helps.

Agreed. I wish it had been written from the perspective that he can help just because he is a charasmatic leader.

If the race of our AD has anything to do with a player coming to AU then they are coming for the wrong reasons.  

I hope the best for AD Greene but I would if he was black, white, Brown, purple or yellow.  

I judge a person on their merit not the color of their skin.  

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

If the race of our AD has anything to do with a player coming to AU then they are coming for the wrong reasons.  

I hope the best for AD Greene but I would if he was black, white, Brown, purple or yellow.  

I judge a person on their merit not the color of their skin.  

Looks like Auburn is a school that operates by that same code. And I wouldn't blame a minority kid at all for factoring that into their decision. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Looks like Auburn is a school that operates by that same code. And I wouldn't blame a minority kid at all for factoring that into their decision. 

I would argue that most schools actually operate on that code... yes, even the one in West Alabama. The problem lies in the alumni/fan base, trickles down to the students, and can effect decisions that involve donations. The same school in West Alabama, at least according to various news stories over the past few months, is a prime example of that based on how they treat their imperfect QB and what their students do on social media.

Kudos to Auburn, however, for being pretty proactive for many, many years. I was there when the school abolished the Old South parade, which was just one of several steps that have been made in the right direction.

Now if I could just convince my wife that the South, and especially Auburn, isn't full of misogynists who think women belong in the kitchen or tending to babies.

IMO, it is the way AD Greene acts and reacts in front of people that really makes him different and special. We saw it when the phone rang on the pedestal when he had his first chance to talk in front of the AU faithful. He was able to make it a nice moment. He has the IT factor. If I were a student right now at AU, he would have an effect on me. I think AU will try and get him in front of people as often as possible. It is certainly not his main role, but AD Greene may help with some recruits and he definitely will not hurt with any.

So I am going to add my .02 cents to this as a black male, who is in a position of authority in a predominantly white and female field. There is an impact when you see a minority , particularly of African American in a position of authority, especially where African Americans are so underrepresented. It’s not even an ugly truth . It’s just the truth. People wanted to down play the impact of Obama’s being the first black president in the black community . Yes, he has the credentials and that shouldn’t be down played, but the black community does take notice of this . Partly because it gives hope that many can also follow in those footsteps. Believe it or not , there are a lot of African - Americans who want to lead the athletic department, who want to be coached , who want to be owners. Here is another truth , there are a lot under represented who do indeed have these credentials but don’t get the opportunity. A lot of people don’t want to hear that either . All this to say , it does make a difference . Will help with recruiting? Who knows...Drake can be your AD , but if you are inconsistent , you aren’t going to get the best people to commit. Image wise, it makes a difference .

46 minutes ago, DAG said:

So I am going to add my .02 cents to this as a black male, who is in a position of authority in a predominantly white and female field. There is an impact when you see a minority , particularly of African American in a position of authority, especially where African Americans are so underrepresented. It’s not even an ugly truth . It’s just the truth. People wanted to down play the impact of Obama’s being the first black president in the black community . Yes, he has the credentials and that shouldn’t be down played, but the black community does take notice of this . Partly because it gives hope that many can also follow in those footsteps. Believe it or not , there are a lot of African - Americans who want to lead the athletic department, who want to be coached , who want to be owners. Here is another truth , there are a lot under represented who do indeed have these credentials but don’t get the opportunity. A lot of people don’t want to hear that either . All this to say , it does make a difference . Will help with recruiting? Who knows...Drake can be your AD , but if you are inconsistent , you aren’t going to get the best people to commit. Image wise, it makes a difference .

Thank you for this.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

For all the reasons you stated it could have an initial positive impact. That said there are so many different reasons kids choose a school and program while it may factor in. How many it will tilt our way it will be hard to tell. Most of the kids interact with the coaches not the AD so I think after the initial impact it will be more on our coaches and if they use it as part of their pitch.  How well he does as an AD will probably also way in down the road. I am hoping he hits a home run as AD as it will help Auburn and may open the doors for other qualified candidates.

8 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

For all the reasons you stated it could have an initial positive impact. That said there are so many different reasons kids choose a school and program while it may factor in. How many it will tilt our way it will be hard to tell. Most of the kids interact with the coaches not the AD so I think after the initial impact it will be more on our coaches and if they use it as part of their pitch.  How well he does as an AD will probably also way in down the road. I am hoping he hits a home run as AD as it will help Auburn and may open the doors for other qualified candidates.

Think less about the impact, more about the image. As I said before, you could have Drake be your AD but if you aren’t consistent, you won’t continue to grow in recruiting . However, a young, vibrant AD like the one we have, we should sell. It may not sway decisions but I can assure you ears and eyes will perk up in these families .

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As if the normal pressure of such a high level a job isn't enough. Imagine if Jay Jacobs had been worried that he might screw everything for other white dudes. Imagine being qualified but needing someone else to "open the doors". And that's not a shot at you, ANT. You're just speaking the truth. 

EDIT: What @DAG said

A couple quotes from when uga hired Damon Evans:

"It's big for African-Americans. I hope it gives all people a sense of pride. It's got to be prideful from an alumni standpoint, from an 
African-American standpoint and from a society standpoint. I think it's really a move forward. This country has changed." -- UGA assistant football coach Rodney Garner 

"It shows the university is trying to diversify the campus," senior Damien Gary said. "I think it matters a lot. Times are changing." 

Here's a cynical, pragmatic marketing take on brand awareness. This completely disregards "the product", i.e., we're looking at this without thinking at all about what kind of job that Greene is actually going to do:

“If you build it, they will come.” Or so says some baseball movie that everyone seems to quote in times like these.

The problem is that it’s not exactly true. Audiences today are more inundated than ever with marketing messages, new businesses and brands, and more tools that promise privacy, security, productivity, ease of use, and efficiency.

Building “it” doesn’t mean anything if no one knows “it” exists in the first place.

Enter the brand awareness campaign. Your quest is to put your brand name in front of as many relevant users as possible. 

Obviously kids have heard of Auburn. But what is our "brand"? Allen Greene is a hell of a great way to begin that conversation. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Obviously kids have heard of Auburn.

What's sad is how many kids outside of SEC country haven't... even after we won the National Championship.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

What's sad is how many kids outside of SEC country haven't... even after we won the National Championship.

Really? Wow. Well, maybe now some of them will. 

(I did know that a lot of them think we're in Georgia. Whatevs.)

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Really? Wow. Well, maybe now some of them will. 

(I did know that a lot of them think we're in Georgia. Whatevs.)

Yea... everyone outside of the Southeast thinks Auburn is in Georgia, but kids that follow the BIG X conferences and the PAC often don't know Auburn because we never play their schools and ESPN doesn't talk about us all of the time (unlike a few other schools).  Heck, when I was a kid, I didn't know Auburn existed until they sent me a recruiting brochure. I think the Pick-6 did the most for us as far as name recognition goes, but I pitch Auburn to high school kids every chance I get and a good number have never heard of Auburn... even the athletes.

**Forgot to add... I had even met Bo, since he played for the Royals and spoke at my church, and still had never heard of Auburn**

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... everyone outside of the Southeast thinks Auburn is in Georgia, but kids that follow the BIG X conferences and the PAC often don't know Auburn because we never play their schools and ESPN doesn't talk about us all of the time (unlike a few other schools).  Heck, when I was a kid, I didn't know Auburn existed until they sent me a recruiting brochure. I think the Pick-6 did the most for us as far as name recognition goes, but I pitch Auburn to high school kids every chance I get and a good number have never heard of Auburn... even the athletes.

You hearing this ish, AD Greene?!?!

I'm sure Mr. Greene will help in our recruiting in the long run. Not because he's our first black AD, but I think he'll help us by the way he carries himself as an Auburn man and as Auburn's new AD. I wish Mr. Greene the very best and I hope he's our AD for many years to come.

Archived