2018 4* SDE/DT Malik Langham

WFE12

image.png

Had big SR season
Getting a number of late offers
AU offered 1/19/18
18 Major school offers including AU, Bama, Vols, Florida, ND, UGA, & Penn St among others

Evaluation

Langham impacts a football game regardless of situation, ideal for any defensive lineman. He plays with great leverage and shows consistent hand technique against blockers, with enough power to reestablish the line of scrimmage and react accordingly. As a pass-rusher, he has good technique at the point of contact to create a lane to the passer. In the process, should he not make it to the quarterback, Langham has shown the awareness to play the passing lane and get his hands on the football. Versus the run, a good motor and finishing ability enables him to make plays in between the tackles or in space. His length and frame suggests some offensive tackle ability down the road. -- John Garcia, Jr.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/19/2018 at 8:16 PM, WFE12 said:

Defensive lineman...All I know.

In state Stronside End/DT Milik Langham. He's tagged on that article on his profile. He's a hot comodity right now. He supposedly had a big SR year.

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Defensive lineman...All I know.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Yes and maybe.  We are late to the game obviously.  He is visiting bama this weekend.

Why are we so late to this game? This kid has the frame to grow into a good one. 

5 hours ago, DivisionN said:

Why are we so late to this game? This kid has the frame to grow into a good one. 

It’s a great question. This is one thing I wish AU would tweak in our recruiting strategy. UAT is increasingly signing more out of state kids, so there are more top tier in-state kids available. I would like to see us focus more on them, and we would probably win a lot more of those battles than we are winning in GA and FL right now. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s a great question. This is one thing I wish AU would tweak in our recruiting strategy. UAT is increasingly signing more out of state kids, so there are more top tier in-state kids available. I would like to see us focus more on them, and we would probably win a lot more of those battles than we are winning in GA and FL right now. 

I want the best available, and hope we are all investing in the resources to  scout everyone and recruit according to our needs regardless if that is AL, GA or FLA.   

1 hour ago, lala said:

I want the best available, and hope we are all investing in the resources to  scout everyone and recruit according to our needs regardless if that is AL, GA or FLA.   

Obviously true. I’m just saying that sometimes a great talent is right under your nose, and it takes a lot less time and resources to land that one as it does to chase one in someone else’s backyard. Langhams measurables, star rating, and offer list is pretty much as strong as anyone else we have on our commitment list. My post suggests a tweak, not a complete overhaul. 

So y’all don’t think this is a fallback offer? I’m pretty sure our coaches knew about this guy before recent changes and maybe the chance of missing some of our higher on the board guys.

Garner has been wanting another linemen the whole time. Just guessing, but maybe things don't look promising on the players at positions of need(OT and CB), and AU is going to take the best available at another position. Garner's rotation strategy has paid big dividends for AU, I hope he gets his guy.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

So y’all don’t think this is a fallback offer? I’m pretty sure our coaches knew about this guy before recent changes and maybe the chance of missing some of our higher on the board guys.

At this point I think it's contingency plan. There's no way to know, but if I had to guess I'd say Langham's offer is not "commitable" at this point. If some others fall through then that obviously may change.

10 hours ago, DivisionN said:

Kid didn't show out til his SR year & for a long time we weren't taking anymore DTs. & still may not with only 3-4 spots left in the class & more pressing needs at other positions.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

So y’all don’t think this is a fallback offer?

For Coynis? No. I think it's an offer as best available regardless of position.

E what do you know about Malik and our recent offer.  Is he a fill out the class with best player available guy due to it looking like our targets have notified the staff that they are going elsewhere?  Thanks

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

E what do you know about Malik and our recent offer.  Is he a fill out the class with best player available guy due to it looking like our targets have notified the staff that they are going elsewhere?  Thanks

What position?

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

E what do you know about Malik and our recent offer. 

Not much

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Is he a fill out the class with best player available guy due to it looking like our targets have notified the staff that they are going elsewhere? 

Not necessarily. I think the staff has decided some aren't definite takes yet & I think other than 1 CB & maybe 1 OL, they have decided to use the rest on best available regardless of position.

Auburn offers in-state 2018 defensive lineman

An interesting offer went out at the beginning of the weekend.

Auburn offered in-state defensive lineman Malik Langham.

The 3-star defensive lineman has been one of the biggest rankings risers lately. In the most recent Top247 rankings, Langham jumped 770 spots to No. 222. Many might point to his Alabama offer and Crimson Tide interest to support the rankings rise. But other programs are showing interest, too. Tennessee, Florida and Oregon have all offered in the last six weeks.

Auburn is the latest to follow that trend.

After conversing with Langham briefly, it’s still undetermined whether Langham will take an official visit to Auburn. He officially visited Alabama over the weekend. He’s already taken visits to Notre Dame and Vanderbilt. Florida and Tennessee are set up for the next two weekends, so it’ll be interesting to see if Auburn’s late offer is enough to earn an official visit.

Some people might ask: Why did it take Auburn so long?

Well, the Tigers aren’t the only ones who offered late in the process.

Sans Vanderbilt, all the schools Langham officially visited offered him in December or later. Auburn just happened to do it the latest. Langham’s junior year tape wasn’t impressive enough to even make him a top target last offseason. His 6-foot-5 and 270-pound frame, however, made Langham too difficult to ignore after a stronger senior season.

Another part of Auburn’s wait: The Tigers don’t need to take him on the defensive line.

They already have a solid four in place in the 2018 class with Daquan Newkirk, Coynis Miller, Kayode Oladele and Richard Jibunor. A couple of those prospects fit into the project category, and it’s possible Langham has a slice of that, as well. It may be in Auburn’s best interest look toward the 2019 class instead.

Still, it made sense for Auburn to offer. At the very least, the Tigers will work to earn an official visit.

Archived