2018 4* SDE/DT Malik Langham

WFE12

Gus Malzahn goes in-home with in-state DL

Auburn joined this recruitment late, and the Tigers are trying to play catchup.

Malik Langham, the 4-star defensive lineman from North Alabama, has been one of the more up-and-comer recruits at the end of this cycle. You name the school, and Langham has probably picked up an offer.

Auburn was the most recent to offer — and will likely be the last given the timing between now and National Signing Day.

Sources close to Langham have said it’ll be tough for the Tigers to get involved in this one because of their tardiness to the defensive lineman’s recruitment. Langham has always had strong interest in Auburn, but the offer came so late he’d already set up his five official visits elsewhere, including to Alabama. That means, if Langham visits Auburn, it will have to be on an unofficial trip.

That isn’t stopping Gus Malzahn & Co. from giving it a go.

Auburn’s coach — along with defensive line coach Rodney Garner and area recruiter Tim Horton — had an in-home visit Wednesday with Langham. Not many details have surfaced from that trip other than Langham, who is always smiling, seemed to enjoy himself in the company of the Auburn coaches.

There has been chatter the Tigers are recruiting Langham as an offensive lineman. In the past, a few sources have told me that’s the position they thought most schools would recruit him to play. However, that tune has changed over the last few months. Langham closed his senior season strong, and at least through recruitment, programs want Langham as a defensive lineman — Auburn included. Hence why Garner was a part of the recruiting trip.

Auburn has an outside chance, while Alabama is the favorite. But if the Crimson Tide have to go a different direction, the Tigers could be a beneficiary.

First, Auburn will have to get Langham to visit.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s that time of year where you have to watch the in-homes to figure out who the staff really wants. 

Specifically which ones Gus goes to.

20 minutes ago, auol72 said:

He does not have to visit to sign on 2/7.

No but it would increases our chances dramatically if he were to visit 1st.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Also, it's not like scheduled visits are legally binding . He could cancel one of the others and come to AU instead.

True but so far at least he has been very adamant that he wants to honor the promises he made to the other schools that he would OV them.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

True but so far at least he has been very adamant that he wants to honor the promises he made to the other schools that he would OV them.

We may not get him because he wants to keep his word. I can totally respect that. There is a difference between legally binding and keeping your word. If we don't get him because he is honorable I will be even sadder as that makes him the type of kid I want at Auburn. Hopefully if we really want him and he really likes Auburn coaches visit was enough or he comes on an unofficial visit and he signs with us.

5 minutes ago, 85355 said:

Why do people think we have a shot with a Langham, so much of his family played in turdtown.

He likes AU & Bama may not have room for him.

8 hours ago, 85355 said:

Why do people think we have a shot with a Langham, so much of his family played in turdtown.

who are you referring to that played for bammer? Just curious.

57 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

who are you referring to that played for bammer? Just curious.

Antonio Langham and all of the Goodes.

This is huge...

Malik Langham sets final official visit

Malik Langham knows where he’ll take his final official visit.

The 4-star defensive lineman from Huntsville, Ala., initially scheduled Tennessee for his final official visit weekend. Instead, Langham will now head to Auburn this upcoming weekend for his fifth official visit, he told SEC Country. He doesn’t plan to take a visit to Tennessee anymore.

Langham’s recruitment has picked up nationally, and rapidly, in recent months. He saw a major bump in the latest recruiting re-rankings. The 6-foot-5, 270-pound defensive end picked up offers from Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Oregon and Miami. He took his first four official visits to Vanderbilt, Alabama, Florida and Notre Dame.

Auburn didn’t offer until Jan. 19. Within the next week, Langham named Auburn his leader and Gus Malzahn went to see Langham on an in-home visit. At the time, it wasn’t certain Langham would take an official visit to the Plains, or even consider an unofficial visit if he were to go to Tennessee instead.

Auburn circumvented that issue by securing Langham’s final official visit.

Despite the late interest, it’s worth noting Langham grew up in an Auburn household. Langham’s deep into his decision process by this point, but it’s clear Malzahn’s in-home visit made an impression.

It also won’t be his first time on campus. He attended an Auburn junior day in the spring.

“It was a really good trip. They invited me, and I definitely felt like I had to come see it,” Langham said at the time. “I like the family atmosphere, and it’s just a good coaching staff.”

Langham’s decision to take his last official visit to Auburn comes before the staff makes an in-home visit.

Malzahn has already used his one visit to see Langham, but Kevin Steele, Rodney Garner and Tim Horton are expected to go see the 4-star defensive end Wednesday.

CGM trying to earn that big paycheck yet again! Hope this kid is brought in !

This kid really intrigues me and at this point I hope we sign him. On a side not, looking at the photo, I hope he gets some new deodorant, lol. WDE anyway Malik! We love you, even with the pits ?!

This can't be! Tennessee is going to get all the guys they want. Nobody skips out on a trip to visit the mighty Pruitt at Rotten Crotch in favor of Auburn, do they? :):)

4 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

appreciate the courtesy visit, mr. langham. too much bammer in him, i hear. 

May not be a courtesy visit. He & his family are AU fans & Bama may not have room to take him.

16 minutes ago, jskilgro said:

appreciate the courtesy visit, mr. langham. too much bammer in him, i hear. 

Where did you get that idea? He canceled a trip to Tenn. to come here. He has legitimate interest. I'll bet you've been listening to bamzo acquaintances, haven't you? They are a poor source for accurate information.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Where did you get that idea? He canceled a trip to Tenn. to come here. He has legitimate interest. I'll bet you've been listening to bamzo acquaintances, haven't you? They are a poor source for accurate information.

he has interest, certainly. IMO, if we were more confident Coach Horton wouldn’t have pushed so hard for an on-the-spot commitment. hope he comes to the light, but we’re several months late to this party. if the gumps want him, he’s theirs. 

Archived