Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out

abw0004

Proud 10th Mountain Div. Vet here. There's absolutely no comparison between college football and the military. Just stop it guys. The "laying it on the line" mantra is absolutely not comparable in this case or any other case. Completely different set of circumstances and frames of mind. Stop attacking the character of people you don't know or what advice and/or situations these KIDS are put by their families and those around them. Totally different set of repercussions in war and in the military in general. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

Proud 10th Mountain Div. Vet here. There's absolutely no comparison between college football and the military. Just stop it guys. The "laying it on the line" mantra is absolutely not comparable in this case or any other case. Completely different set of circumstances and frames of mind. Stop attacking the character of people you don't know or what advice and/or situations these KIDS are put by their families and those around them. Totally different set of repercussions in war and in the military in general. 

Thank you for your service!

3 hours ago, leglessdan said:

The "laying it on the line" mantra is absolutely not comparable in this case or any other case.

Anybody with half a brain isn’t going to say what is at stake for a football player is the same for combat soldiers. There is no comparison at all. 

What was at stake for CD was significant enough for him to leave his teammates hanging. That’s the whole point of the conversation.

5 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Thanks for being honest and exposing the dishonesty.  But Gus is without reproach,  right Gus fan boys?

wde

Since medical conditions are protected by HIPPA  laws, I'd say you nailed it.  Yes, Gus is beyond reproach in this area..

24 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Anybody with half a brain isn’t going to say what is at stake for a football player is the same for combat soldiers. There is no comparison at all. 

What was at stake for CD was significant enough for him to leave his teammates hanging. That’s the whole point of the conversation.

The point of the conversation? There is no point in this conversation. He made a choice. His choice. Whether it was what us fans wanted or not is irrelevant. And...yes part of the conversation to which I responded to was going off on a tangent about the fact he left his teammates hanging akin to a fellow man abandoning the foxhole. Lol. That's just silly. 

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

The point of the conversation? There is no point in this conversation. He made a choice. His choice. Whether it was what us fans wanted or not is irrelevant. And...yes part of the conversation to which I responded to was going off on a tangent about the fact he left his teammates hanging akin to a fellow man abandoning the foxhole. Lol. That's just silly. 

Yeah I am pretty sure a poster just said they wouldn’t want to be in a foxhole with him lol.  My goodness.

15 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

And...yes part of the conversation to which I responded to was going off on a tangent about the fact he left his teammates hanging

“Leave us hanging” was more or less the words of his fella defensive teammate. 

And that teammate would be correct.

You’ve been my dog the past three years and you’re going to leave me hanging like that?'

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

“Leave us hanging” was more or less the words of his fella defensive teammate. 

And that teammate would be correct.

Nice job cutting off the last part of the sentence.  Lol. I'm not even arguing with you. What exactly are you defending or are you just jumping at the chance to try and argue with someone? 

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Lol. I'm not even arguing with you. What exactly are you defending or are you just jumping at the chance to try and argue with someone? 

I’m arguing that I wouldn’t want anybody that is already known to leave his team hanging in tbe foxhole with me. If that wasn’t obvious already (I was in the conversation way before you so you should already know my argument as well).

The ones that exhibit the following values are the ones I’d hope to have in tbe figuratively speaking foxhole:

Loyalty 

Duty

Respect

Selfless Service

Honor

Integrity

Personal Courage

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m arguing that I wouldn’t want anybody that is already known to leave his team hanging in tbe foxhole with me. If that wasn’t obvious already (I was in the conversation way before you so you should already know my argument as well).

The ones that exhibit the following values are the ones I’d hope to have in tbe figuratively speaking foxhole:

Loyalty 

Duty

Respect

Selfless Service

Honor

Integrity

Personal Courage

Well thank goodness there's about a .00001% chance you'll ever be in a foxhole with Carlton Davis. Or any other college football player for that matter. Have a good one.

43 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Well thank goodness there's about a .00001% chance you'll ever be in a foxhole with Carlton Davis. Or any other college football player for that matter. Have a good one.

I get what you’re saying, and my argument  was not like that at all. It was the individual vs the collective dynamic that I speaking to. Good night, sir.

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Since medical conditions are protected by HIPPA  laws, I'd say you nailed it.  Yes, Gus is beyond reproach in this area..

You’re correct that HIPPA laws restrict revealing medical conditions without consent.  However, Gus has difficulty telling the truth to the fan base in his pressers about injured players.  The first example I can remember is Carl Lawson was “day to day” for about 3 weeks until he was out for the season.  Why perpetuate a lie to the fan base?  If he is trying to keep information from the competition there are others ways besides telling falsehoods.  Besides, if you execute the game plan, it doesn’t matter who plays, right?

Gus has grown in this area, he no longer lies, he washes his hands of the matter and blames it on the med staff.  If the player is “banged up,” the fan base has no idea if he will play because of injury or suspension. See Pettway at the end of the season.

It’s all in your perspective. 

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You’re correct that HIPPA laws restrict revealing medical conditions without consent.  However, Gus has difficulty telling the truth to the fan base in his pressers about injured players.  The first example I can remember is Carl Lawson was “day to day” for about 3 weeks until he was out for the season.  Why perpetuate a lie to the fan base?  If he is trying to keep information from the competition there are others ways besides telling falsehoods.  Besides, if you execute the game plan, it doesn’t matter who plays, right?

Gus has grown in this area, he no longer lies, he washes his hands of the matter and blames it on the med staff.  If the player is “banged up,” the fan base has no idea if he will play because of injury or suspension. See Pettway at the end of the season.

It’s all in your perspective. 

I miss Spurrier when it comes to how a coach interacts with the press. He was almost always as upfront and honest as the day is long. If a guy was hurt, or suspended, or benched, he just said it. I think he just accepted that come game day, it comes down to making plays, regardless what the competition did or didn’t know about you or your game plan. Different coaches have different approaches, for sure. 

On 1/27/2018 at 5:40 PM, Mikey said:

Hopefully, they're covered by HIPAA, too. :P

Archived