Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out

abw0004

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Didn't you hear?  Apparently we were in the national championship.  Or at least every person in Florida thinks that.  :bananadance:

Not that it matters but since they're not one of the big 3 or a Yankee NFL team, they're already yesterday's news down here.

Most people down here couldn't even tell you their mascot or where they're located except "uh...central Fla?"

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue that the BCS and playoffs contribute to this more than the occasional guy sitting out. 

and to a certain extent, i think it has taken away from conference championships and the importance of specific bowls.  Going to the Sugar, Rose, Cotton, etc. used to be significant in and of itself.  not so much anymore.

I don't like him sitting out but I understand his thinking. It's funny that this comes out now when a good bit of the fans were saying it just wasn't so... Gus said he was sick so he was sick. Haha. Now that's funny! 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue that the BCS and playoffs contribute to this more than the occasional guy sitting out. 

Maybe. But occasional can become routine real fast. Juniors used to occasionally apply for the draft. First 10, then 20, now over 100. I’m speculating that the trend for sitting out bowl games will follow the same trend. Then guys might decide that since they are out of the SEC race in early November , why not sit out that last meaningless SEC game vs Vandy? And why play against Georgia Southern or Mercer at all? I’m not condemning, just asking, where is it going? 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Not that it matters but since they're not one of the big 3 or a Yankee NFL team, they're already yesterday's news down here.

Most people down here couldn't even tell you their mascot or where they're located except "uh...central Fla?"

I was in Orlando Thanksgiving week and drove north to Alabama, I saw 0 ucf paraphernalia anywhere. Uf/fsu/Miami pretty much. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out
1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I don't like him sitting out but I understand his thinking. It's funny that this comes out now when a good bit of the fans were saying it just wasn't so... Gus said he was sick so he was sick. Haha. Now that's funny! 

It's all about not calling someone's motives into question until there is proof. In other words, respecting our players. Nothing funny about it.

I would like to see the bowls pay the seniors, much like they do for the senior bowl and other all-star games.  Winners would make more than losers to give each team an extra incentive to try to win the game, versus just showing up as it is now. We know the bowls are making a boatload of money on the game, why not pass along a few thousand to the players since they are the ones that people are coming to see play.

A good bit of us this said this only to be slighted. Of course he sat. Based on the other players performance and Trigga’s post game comments, a few of them might as well have too. 

I was probably one of those who believed Davis was sick. And he probably wasn't. But does that then mean we don't believe Braden Smith when he said that he and several others were sick???? :dunno:

55 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I was probably one of those who believed Davis was sick. And he probably wasn't. But does that then mean we don't believe Braden Smith when he said that he and several others were sick???? :dunno:

They very well may have been sick. The flu has been going around. Doesn’t mean you get your butt whooped. If it is that bad , you need to stay on the sideline and not hurt yourself or the team. If I recall, Baker Mayfield was pretty sick too. I didn’t see him pull a Carson palmer in the playoffs though.

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Maybe. But occasional can become routine real fast. Juniors used to occasionally apply for the draft. First 10, then 20, now over 100. I’m speculating that the trend for sitting out bowl games will follow the same trend. Then guys might decide that since they are out of the SEC race in early November , why not sit out that last meaningless SEC game vs Vandy? And why play against Georgia Southern or Mercer at all? I’m not condemning, just asking, where is it going? 

You beat me to it!   What about the comittments these players made when they accepted their offers and signed their scholarships?   While I can somewhat understand them wanting to protect their financial interests, I can also understand Auburn wanting to protect its financial interests.  If a bunch of players decide not participate in a bowl game, a bunch of fans will likely follow suit.  I'm concerned about the domino effect and how many games close to mid-season the players will start sitting out, and then mass quantities of fans losing interests and no longer buying season tickets and attending the games.

If these guys decide to not honor their commitments in order to make millions of dollars, then they can certainly afford to compensate Auburn for a fair portion its losses.  

Maybe I'm too old fashion, but I feel that the coaches, players and universities not honoring their contracts and comittments are the ruining the tradition of college football as we know it and making it more like the NFL, which I despise.  The madness has to end somewhere, but where is that point?

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Lost just a little respect for him for leaving his teammates out to dry. Not cool. 

Perhaps he just followed Gus' example from the seccg week, when he was evidently more focused on HIS financial future than the game at hand.  :beer2:

The Peach Bowl didn't matter then, doesn't matter today and won't matter next week.  The dialogue however is healthy, love that his teammates were willing to speak candidly and without any personal vendetta (disagree but love him no matter what, wow what a concept)...we could all learn a lot from that.

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Perhaps he just followed Gus' example from the seccg week, when he was evidently more focused on HIS financial future than the game at hand.  :beer2:

Why didn't you watch Gus's comments leading up to the game? He was as fired up and into it as I've ever seen him.

Yep, Tray hits it right on the head. I would give it all for teammates and would expect them to do the same. That’s just a personal thing with me. I don’t really care about reasoning, etc, it will always feel selfish to me. I understand it but doesn’t mean I have to like it. Best of luck to CD in the future

14 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Lost just a little respect for him for leaving his teammates out to dry. Not cool. 

Fan on twitter said he saw him in the stands at the peach bowl laughing and messing around...don't know about the validity of that but it's interesting.

13 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Everyone hating on Carlton will still be claiming him when he balls out in the NFL but hey 

23AF0AA0-37EB-446D-A252-E4F079D59515.jpeg

Plenty of us could care less about the nfl 

11 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Sadly, the offensive line decided to sit out too.

See Braden Smith's article about his health during Peach Bowl.  There obviously was a lot more going on prior to the bowl game than we fans knew.  Overall we had a great year and a team we should all be very proud of.  

War Eagle to all the players on the 2017 football team and thanks for the memories.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Why didn't you watch Gus's comments leading up to the game? He was as fired up and into it as I've ever seen him.

Every time I see you rush in to defend anything negative said about Gus this is what I picture.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXbhheuNdcRLTFxj1jHSO

Davis didn't just make the decision to sit out the game. He traveled with the team, participated in the activities, received the gifts, told the coaches he was sick and could not practice. This had to be demoralizing to the team and had to affect the game plan of the coaches. Gus finally caught on and sent him home. I'm disappointed that Gus covered for him. Saban would have sent his donkey butt home and told the press what he did. Actually, no one would have the nads to do this to Saban. I like Gus but he has got to grow a pair. Davis' behavior was shameful and hurt the team. He should have just made his stupid decision and owned up to it. What a loser. I hope the NFL teams look at this and realize he has some character issues. Gus should have roasted him publicly. 

Archived