Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out

abw0004

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A team is a team, teammates are teammates and ducking out on them for a personal choice is a lousey thing to do, be it 9th grade basketball or the 7th game of the world series. Definitely apples to apples.

067047E4-4254-49E8-ABFB-CF1D6C93DAE9.gif

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

If CD did in fact skip the Peach Bowl to reduce risk of injury, then I find it disappointing and disagree with his decision. For those ok with his decision, would you also be ok with the following decision?

2018 season...AU enters Iron Bowl week 9-2 with 2 really close conference loses...Alabama is 11-0...AU has as good a chance as anyone to beat them but no chance at a conference or national championship...JS has had a stellar season at quarterback and is garnering All-American accolades and a high draft grade. Two days before the Iron Bowl he announces he's not playing as he wishes to protect his NFL career.

I have a feeling that we as fans would be going out of our minds and feeling betrayed because of this decision. But, how would JS's decision differ from CD's decision? After all there are no conference or national championships to be won by Auburn and why risk injury this close to the draft.

Sounds as if his teammates weren't happy with his decision and I don't blame them.

If we ever come to a bridge even faintly resembling your hypothetical, we'll cross it. So far, we haven't. 

6 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

If CD did in fact skip the Peach Bowl to reduce risk of injury, then I find it disappointing and disagree with his decision. For those ok with his decision, would you also be ok with the following decision?

2018 season...AU enters Iron Bowl week 9-2 with 2 really close conference loses...Alabama is 11-0...AU has as good a chance as anyone to beat them but no chance at a conference or national championship...JS has had a stellar season at quarterback and is garnering All-American accolades and a high draft grade. Two days before the Iron Bowl he announces he's not playing as he wishes to protect his NFL career.

I have a feeling that we as fans would be going out of our minds and feeling betrayed because of this decision. But, how would JS's decision differ from CD's decision? After all there are no conference or national championships to be won by Auburn and why risk injury this close to the draft.

Sounds as if his teammates weren't happy with his decision and I don't blame them.

Interesting.... but you lost me at Peach Bowl = Iron Bowl.

15 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

JS is from Texas not Alabama

Replying to AUsince72

WDTEM.jpg

16 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

JS is from Texas not Alabama

Replying to AUsince72

I don't get your point. Anyone playing for Auburn, even if they came from one of Saturn's rings, would know the Iron Bowl is the biggest game on our schedule. The whole premise of this is guys sitting out of meaningless exhibition games. And I mean meaningless in the sense that there is no type of championship to be earned, since only 4 teams get to play in a true post-season tournament, and the regular season is over. 

All I’m gonna say is, I don’t fault anyone for their decision when millions of dollars could be on the line, especially when their decision doesn’t impact me in the least. It’s not like we lost cause of him not being there anyway.

54 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Bruh...bruh.....bruh........did you really type all of that and hit submit?

Yeah, I get the fact that it's a far-fetched scenario, but if you had told me 20 years ago that players would ship bowl games in the future, I would have thought you were crazy.

Maybe I’m too old school but I don’t think you bail on your team when you are able to play even if you are playing one of those Louisiana directional schools in the Weed Whacker Bowl or whatever they are calling it these days.  You don’t let the guys down who helped you get to the first round.  If I was a coach or player on one of the teams thinking about drafting him I would reconsider.  You don’t want a teammate placing himself over the team.  

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

To compare the peach bow to a championship game is Ludacris.  If we were in the playoffs, CD would've been playing.

I am pretty sure he would have played in the playoffs (he did excuse himself in the 2nd half of the SECCG so.....) but that does not excuse him for bailing out on his team in the Peach Bowl.  I am sorry, but if he was not sick,  Davis either should have played or manned up and said he was not going to play because he didn't want to get hurt, wanted to save himself for the combine, etc.  The whole thing was BS on both Davis' and Gus' end.  If he and Gus would have been up front and honest about not playing in the Peach Bowl then I could give him a little slack. 

wde

Edit: I know the two to us disagree about this subject, but I want you to know that I hope James is getting better and that I am still praying for you and yours and James.

wde

3 hours ago, TigerTale said:

I hope you aren’t serious. You are comparing a bowl game to a rivalry game in the regular season. Chances are JS wouldn’t do anything like that if he wanted any chance to win a heisman, which is his goal. Chances are that could affect his all conference individual award if he does something like that. That is not nearly in the same stratosphere as skipping a bowl game. By then all of his body of work is done. You argument would make more sense if you said he chose to skip against vandy or some crap like that, but skipping the ironbowl, against an undefeated Alabama team? I imagine most NFL scouts would want to see how he fares. The NFL does NOT care about bowl games. People need to just understand this. The same way the NBA doesn’t care about players leaving after one year of college. 

58 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I am pretty sure he would have played in the playoffs (he did excuse himself in the 2nd half of the SECCG so.....) but that does not excuse him for bailing out on his team in the Peach Bowl.  I am sorry, but if he was not sick,  Davis either should have played or manned up and said he was not going to play because he didn't want to get hurt, wanted to save himself for the combine, etc.  The whole thing was BS on both Davis' and Gus' end.  If he and Gus would have been up front and honest about not playing in the Peach Bowl then I could give him a little slack. 

wde

I doubt that based on your post.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Davis' earning potential could have been greatly affected in a negative way had he played and the trade off was negligible improvement (likely none) in his draft stock if he did play. While we like to think of the team dynamic as the same as our high school teams this just isn't the case when there are millions upon millions of dollars being thrown around. Gus bailed on Arky State before their bowl game to prepare for his new job and he had already nailed down his multi-million dollar deal. Carlton bailed on AU before the bowl game so he could put himself in the best position for his next job.

I think there are many constants within the construct of a team that are prevalent at all levels of competition. However, I don't think this is one of them. These kids' goals here are not to be a part of a college football team. It's to make the big bucks at the next level. A fraction of 1% of athletes make it there. I can see how a kid being so close to this goal sees the value in sitting out as opposed to jeopardizing himself.

I also can see him not giving a flying french toast about what some message board posters think considering he's guaranteed to be a very rich man in a few months. He couldn't say that was the case if he was planning on playing vs UCF.

I posed this same question in the original thread. Expect no rebuttal.

Just now, AUIH1 said:

What do you doubt?

wde

That you would give him slack. You are already said he should not have bailed on his teammates in the peach bowl. Your mind is already made up on the situation. Why would he openly admitting that to you change the way you think about him or his decision? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

That you would give him slack. You are already said he should not have bailed on his teammates in the peach bowl. Your mind is already made up on the situation. Why would he openly admitting that to you change the way you think about him or his decision? 

I would totally give him some slack had he been man enough to just say he didn't want to play instead of playing the "I'm too sick" card.  Some slack does not mean that  I would agree with his decision or that I think he still bailed on his team in the Peach Bowl and possibly at half time of the SECCG.  Again, good luck to Davis trying to make it in the NFL  

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I would totally give him some slack had he been man enough to just say he didn't want to play instead of playing the "I'm too sick" card.  Some slack does not mean that  I would agree with his decision or that I think he still bailed on his team in the Peach Bowl and possibly at half time of the SECCG.  Again, good luck to Davis trying to make it in the NFL  

wde

Clearly he was man enough to tell his teammates. For all you know CGM came to that decision to portray it that way. Secondly, I don’t get how you guys can have these feelings but in the same breathe, support a coach who chose to bail on his previous institution. 

The SECCG injury was kind of weird I'll admit. 

He played the 1st half, then according to him he couldn't play in the 2nd because of a concussion that he got in a prior game. Why was he playing at all if he had lingering concussion symptoms? 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Clearly he was man enough to tell his teammates. For all you know CGM came to that decision to portray it that way. Secondly, I don’t get how you guys can have these feelings but in the same breathe, support a coach who chose to bail on his previous institution. 

Telling his teammates is one thing, telling his coaches is another.  If he told his coaches and Gus continued with the sick excuse then Gus is at fault as well.  If you think I support Gus then you having been reading my posts.  But  didn't Gus coach in his team's bowl game after he took the AU job?

wde

Archived