Men vs. Missouri

WarTiger

Another great win by this scrappy AU team. Loved seeing guys play with so much heart and passion. This team is the real deal and they are going no where. SEC is currentl looking like AU and everybody else....love it!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fredst said:

Don't know how the year will play out as far as making tourney or what kind of run we might make. I still think that we are a year away and in need of another big guy. However, this team is really fun to watch: take care of the basketball, play good D mostly, and make FTs- all elements of fundamentally sound and well-coached teams. I'll just keep enjoying watching them!

Barring some EPIC collapse I'm confident we will be in. I went into this season considering us to be 1 year away as well so I'm just eating up this success as sweet, sweet bonus. If we end up in the big dance at all I'm going to be ecstatic. A top 5 seed and a single tear of joy may run down my face.

Either way, what this team has battled through and being able to fight through their shortcomings to an 18-2 start has been nothing short of remarkable.

Just an observation and opinion but recently there have been comments about BP only playing 9 players as if that were unusual or a drawback....but I see lots of coaches playing 9 or fewer game after game.

What I have not seen is many teams that lose so little in the way of quality/talent when the coach makes substitutions all the way down to #9......and in fact other than after perhaps  3 players  (Harper, Brown and Heron in particular) there is almost no drop off by substituting and a good number of our players are pretty well interchangeable without much loss of effect.

It's not quite Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell....but is pretty close because with cleaver substituting , BP is able to keep fresh legs on the floor at about every position ..not having to swap a PG for PG or a PF for a PF.   ...he can end up with 4 guards (Murray being a quasi-guard in some ways) if he wants and teams with greater size often find themselves at a disadvantage in the footrace to the other end. 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just an observation and opinion but recently there have been comments about BP only playing 9 players as if that were unusual or a drawback....but I see lots of coaches playing 9 or fewer game after game.

What I have not seen is many teams that lose so little in the way of quality/talent when the coach makes substitutions all the way down to #9......and in fact other than after perhaps  3 players  (Harper, Brown and Heron in particular) there is almost no drop off by substituting and a good number of our players are pretty well interchangeable without much loss of effect.

It's not quite Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell....but is pretty close because with cleaver substituting , BP is able to keep fresh legs on the floor at about every position ..not having to swap a PG for PG or a PF for a PF.   ...he can end up with 4 guards (Murray being a quasi-guard in some ways) if he wants and teams with greater size often find themselves at a disadvantage in the footrace to the other end. 

Coach K seldom uses more then 8 or 9 I believe on a regular basis

Great post, @AU64. I think 9 guys keeps getting mentioned because we are shorthanded with 2 key cogs missing and that just accents that point.

If we were at full strength I think we would go 10 deep. I think Dunbar would be completely phased out of the rotation. But you're still adding 2 guys and removing 1 from the rotation. Between Harper, Brown, Heron, Desean, McLemore, Horace, Davion, and Chuma I like the minutes they are all getting. Really, Chuma could actually stand to play more but who's minutes is he going to eat into?

What a wonderful problem to have to potentially face!

30 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Great post, @AU64. I think 9 guys keeps getting mentioned because we are shorthanded with 2 key cogs missing and that just accents that point.

If we were at full strength I think we would go 10 deep. I think Dunbar would be completely phased out of the rotation. But you're still adding 2 guys and removing 1 from the rotation. Between Harper, Brown, Heron, Desean, McLemore, Horace, Davion, and Chuma I like the minutes they are all getting. Really, Chuma could actually stand to play more but who's minutes is he going to eat into?

What a wonderful problem to have to potentially face!

Probably true about Dunbar. And that's saying something to the skill and experience level of your roster when your odd man out is still a high-energy producer.

33 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Probably true about Dunbar. And that's saying something to the skill and experience level of your roster when your odd man out is still a high-energy producer.

Dunbar has had his moments this year but seems to be getting less playing time lately. As noted, he is not bad and I don't sense a big drop off in defensive effort when he is in the game. The team seems to be on a roll right now and I guess BP is trying to stay with the same primary roster. 

8 hours ago, WDEKC said:

The basketball arena is really nice actually. Has an NBA arena feel to it. Not a great college atmosphere because they put the student section on one end so they don't have much impact on the game. I think the color they chose for seats looks bad on TV and the cameras show the side that tends to not get full during weekday games so it looks bad.

I liked their football stadium. It's not huge, but it's decently nice. I've been to much worse.

IDK man I see rocks in one side of their end zone and I am like that is uglier and tackier than Nick sabans hair plug and dye job! lol

9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, not a BBall fan but curious to see what y'all say about the season and came across this.

You had me at Smokey...

Well now you know the style of play we play at which is at a BANDIT like level of speed with the pace of play we play with HOPEFULLY you will tune in more and get invested with AU bball like you are fball!!! WOOOO!!! I think I speak for all of us that the bball threads would be a lot more fun with you around! WAR EAGLE 72!!! LETS GO!!!!!! #teamburtreynoldsandsallyfieldsforever lol

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well now you know the style of play we play at which is at a BANDIT like level of speed with the pace of play we play with HOPEFULLY you will tune in more and get invested with AU bball like you are fball!!! WOOOO!!! I think I speak for all of us that the bball threads would be a lot more fun with you around! WAR EAGLE 72!!! LETS GO!!!!!! #teamburtreynoldsandsallyfieldsforever lol

That is very kind of you to say.

Unfortunately, basketball was never my game (played lots of football & baseball) so I know the basic rules of course, but none of the nuances of the game to ever say anything intelligent.

If I tried to throw down on the BBall forum you'd be like:

image.png

When I saw my first AU basketball game we were playing in the old Barn and I've seen at least some games of every team since then. This team is without a doubt the most fun to watch of any that's been at AU. Of course they win and that helps. They have good players but there have been some better individuals, but never have we had a team that was simply this much FUN!

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

That is very kind of you to say.

Unfortunately, basketball was never my game (played lots of football & baseball) so I know the basic rules of course, but none of the nuances of the game to ever say anything intelligent.

If I tried to throw down on the BBall forum you'd be like:

image.png

Doesn't stop me.

Archived