XFL making comeback

JMassie11

As some of you have seen already the “XFL” is planning a comeback. First off I’m excited bc I actually enjoyed watching it. That being said it’s being rumored that they could be allowing amateur athletes to play and be paid right out of HS. How much would this change the landscape if any of college football?

14 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

As some of you have seen already the “XFL” is planning a comeback. First off I’m excited bc I actually enjoyed watching it. That being said it’s being rumored that they could be allowing amateur athletes to play and be paid right out of HS. How much would this change the landscape if any of college football?

It would be interesting especially if they could then go to the NFL after 3 years, just like college. Could change the landscape of college football as we know it.

Personally I don't think it changes college all that much.  Most 18 year olds are not physically nor mentally ready for professional athletics.  There are a few that could transition, but for the most part I think all of these kids should be made to go through college.

Yea but if they have the opportunity to make 50-100k a year for 3 years playing vs not there will be some that do it

45 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

It would be like overseas for underclassmen in the NBA. Far and in between would actually go, but I encourage those who can go and actually participate to do try to do so. Glad the XFL is coming back and hopefully it tries to be more professional this time around. A good alternative.

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

It would be like overseas for underclassmen in the NBA. Far and in between would actually go, but I encourage those who can go and actually participate to do try to do so. Glad the XFL is coming back and hopefully it tries to be more professional this time around. A good alternative.

I agree a more professional approach would go a long way as would taking a few more safety procedures like the no halo rule lol

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

It would be interesting especially if they could then go to the NFL after 3 years, just like college. Could change the landscape of college football as we know it.

!!!

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Personally I don't think it changes college all that much.  Most 18 year olds are not physically nor mentally ready for professional athletics.  There are a few that could transition, but for the most part I think all of these kids should be made to go through college.

Doesn't it sort'a work in baseball?

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I can see where some of the guys that don't qualify or have the grades might make this decision but I don't see it having much impact on the rest of them. 

2 hours ago, autigersj said:

Not related to the amateur athlete thing, but I would love to see Nick Marshall and Tre Mason show up on an XFL team. I am sure they still got the goods!  

I thought Tre had some serious health issues.  I have a vague recollection of his mother saying he had the mind of a child, or something like that.

Regarding the XFL, I think it could have a significant impact if guys are allowed to enter out of high school.  Maurice Clarett would have definitely skipped college and he was an integral part of a national championship team (I think, I don't remember if OSU or Miami won that game).  We might have been in a tight(er) spot if guys that leave school early to be an undrafted free agent (Pettway, Peyton Barber and Darvin Adams) had the option to make money sooner.  And even if they enroll, what's keeping them in college?  If they can go after high school it doesn't seem fair to say they can't go after one year in college.  

If I could add one thing to the XFL it would be full-time officials that are required to participate in a referee press conference, just like coaches.  I suppose it's possible to have a game with no questionable calls, but I can't think of one.

Way back when I submitted an idea for the Birmingham team.  Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I think my suggestion was a lot better than Thunderbolts.  I suggested Birmingham Ironmen.  To give it a taste of uat and Auburn, combine the colors: blue and red could be a metallic iron ore, and have white and orange trim.  Logo could be Vulcan's trowel, kind of like the FSU spearhead.  Put a smaller version of Vulcan up high in the stadium, and much like the trend in Bham a long time ago, the light changed color if the other team suffers an injury.  Team anthem could be Black Sabbath's Iroman, which would let the crowd chant be a fist-pumping, Beavis and Butthead-ish Da-da-da-da-da.....you get the drift.

WDE!

3 hours ago, autigersj said:

Not related to the amateur athlete thing, but I would love to see Nick Marshall and Tre Mason show up on an XFL team. I am sure they still got the goods!  

Them , Tebow , Johnny football , Kaep. They all should be trying to get in this . If it is actually professional football that is...not that crap Vince McMahon tried to pass off previously.

• WarTiger changed the title to XFL making comeback

Another reason I think it succeeds is social media and the athletes now in general. There’s a lot of guys at q.v. for example that are very talented just undersized

If I remember correctly, the original XFL brought in girls from local strip clubs to be the cheerleaders...bet that gets scratched this go round.

If the XFL does just one simple thing and make a catch a catch, and not get into the convoluted mess the NFL has created, that would be a great improvement over the NFL.

7 hours ago, autigersj said:

Afraid that's a no go. In order to play in the league you can't have a criminal record. He's really trying to make it family friendly and also enforcing standing up for the national anthem.

If they open it up to 19-20yos, basically past freshman season, many will jump. Getting paid, without NCAA to dodge, to play while also getting professional coaching as a full 40h per week job would do much more for a prospective pro prospect than the limited time allowed in college. Imagine the baker Mayfield and fromms and tuas and if they were able to be true athletes 1st. 

9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Saban may as well apply bammer for  for the league since they're already paying players.

I imagine Bama will opt to stay in the SEC, but they may have to increase their wages with this new competition.

I like the idea Rick and Bubba had pitched for the Cleveland Browns rebrand. The Stampede, mascot would be a rhino and the fan section would be called the crash zone. I can only hope Birmingham gets another XFL team. I'll be their biggest fan!

On 1/25/2018 at 9:19 PM, WFE12 said:

Afraid that's a no go. In order to play in the league you can't have a criminal record. He's really trying to make it family friendly and also enforcing standing up for the national anthem.

Fielding a football team with no criminal record would be a challenge. 

• 1 year later...

Archived