Changes at Toomers Corner

Proud Tiger

My wife was a local girl. Her first ever job was working at The Flush. I think she lasted two weeks there before moving on to something different.

Sadly. I was at the Hungry Hunter that last night it was open. I do believe it was about dry when we left!

Fun times there.

I've been on staff at Auburn since 2006 but my days at Auburn span 94-present with about 8 years in between back in my home state. I was down here at least once a month during the "off season" for baseball, basketball and other Auburn events. I missed out on some landmarks but I've seen the largest expansion and transformation this town and campus have ever seen. When I think back on my days as a student the campus I knew then is so very different than the one I work on today. Living with it everyday takes away some of the shock value but when I look back on it....it's really amazing. The city is starting to look so different with every high rise building and every parking deck being erected. The once rolling hills of green grass (and pretty ladies getting a tan in the spring) have become lay down yards for capital expansion, newly built labs or dusty parking lots. This old "cow" college is barely hanging on but 50 years from now the only cow you may see on main campus will be in a photo.

Man, it seems like we were just getting accustomed to not seeing construction fencing on the corner and now this! While I'm sure the new addition will "look" like it belongs, all the construction is a pain in the a$$. :/

Landmarks from my day were The War Eagle Supper Club, James Brown's Family Restaurant (Opelika), Darvo's, and Harry's. We visited Harry's in the wee hours of the morning after working @ Domino's until 2 or 3 am. Those were the days...:D

49 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Landmarks from my day were The War Eagle Supper Club, James Brown's Family Restaurant (Opelika), Darvo's, and Harry's. We visited Harry's in the wee hours of the morning after working @ Domino's until 2 or 3 am. Those were the days...:D

Many a late night shooting pool at Harry’s?...

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, aubiefifty said:

she worked for him as well at a bbq joint golf. her name was eloise and she was a pretty big woman as well. i think she waited tables  all over auburn for a few years. she dated a guy named jerry baker who played on the auburn allstars softball team and he was a big man. he was a home run machine. he later went to work for barber milk. and i got mixed up in a previous post a month or two ago. we lived on east glenn avenue. there was a baseball field with a tiny creosote log bridge at the park. my grandfather was william v clayton and everyone in town knew him and called him sarge. he hung out some at a barber shop that opened on the main downtown drag and also a side door and they had the biggest stack of comic books i ever saw. oh and the bridge in the park? my grandfather told me a troll lived under the bridge and to run across it when i was alone and he was not there lol. wowo you have no idea how this excites me!

Felton Little Park - it was kind of across Glenn Ave. from the City Hall.  As a child (4-5 years old), I lived with my mother in duplex close to the corner of Ross and Glenn and spent a lot of time at that park.  I learned to ride a bike without training wheels there.  Don't remember the troll under the bridge, though. ;)

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Harry's - where the elite meet (at least that's what the t-shirt said).  Coldest beer in town.  Had to be careful when it was rainy though - there was some kind of drain (storm drain?) under one of the pool tables that would backup onto the floor.  What a dump!

Archived