Jan. 26-28 OV Thread

Mikey

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | 

will play in the SEC. The defensive end/linebacker just has to decide which school.

Johnson, who is from Northside in Columbus, Ga., will decide soon between Auburn, Georgia and Florida.

“I will decide Feb. 7,” Johnson said. “I’ll do it on Signing Day.”

Johnson visited Georgia in September and Florida Jan. 19-21. He took an official visit to Auburn this weekend.

Johnson had visited Auburn before, but this visit was different. It was more personal.

“It was just getting to know the whole coaching staff instead of just Coach (Rodney) Garner,” Johnson said. “And hanging out with more than just Derrick Brown and more players on the team.”

UNDECIDED

Building bonds is important for Johnson.

“That’s what it’s all about for me,” Johnson said. “Making those bonds.”

Johnson, who weighs 267 pounds, is listed as a linebacker, but could project at defensive end or even defensive tackle. Auburn talked to him about playing all three.

“They said a three-down player, which could be anywhere from the buck to d-end to d-tackle on third downs, just getting those matchups,” Johnson said.

Regardless, Johnson said, Auburn’s message to him is clear. Gus Malzahn made sure of it.

“(Malzahn) said he wants me on the team,” Johnson said.

Malzahn and Auburn are scheduled to make an in-school/in-home visit with Johnson one day this week. Johnson will not visit anywhere next weekend.

“I’m going to take some time and talk it over with my family and see what’s best for me,” Johnson said.

Johnson left his visit Sunday with several reasons why his choice could be Auburn.

“The coaches, it’s all about the family,” Johnson said. “The family really makes me comfortable. I want to go somewhere I want to be comfortable. And of course they’re a prestigious academic university, so that helps, too. It’s really close to home. It’s nothing but a 30-minute drive.”

• Like 1