A Play That Defines a Team

jared52

During the game last night, there was a moment that perfectly defines this year’s Auburn basketball team. I call it a moment because it happened so fast and so purely that once it happened you wanted a still frame of it, because even a thousand words can’t express what’s it means for Auburn basketball. It’s a moment that it hope we see more and more of from Bruce Pearl’s time at AU (which I hope is forever).

with 10 min to go in the second, Harper drives the lane looking to kick out but LSU get a piece of the ball before he can pass it and they go the other way. The up court pass is stolen immediately by Murray right at mid court. Everyone was headed the other way and Murray has clear sailing to go fly in and bring the house down. But wait, there is little Jared Harper standing under the goal and without hesitation Murray drops it down to him. My first though was, “Aw, there’s just gonna be a little bank shot to accentuate the steal here when we could see DeSean throw down the hammer?” But a soon as Harper catches it, he just tosses it in the air and here comes Dunbar flying in to finish the oop. 

It almost looked rehearsed it was so smooth, but it’s something I cannot stop thinking about from the game. There is another moment where Heron drove the lane not having scored since his 16 point star and he’s got a wide open 8 footer, but chooses instead to make a slick bounce pass to a crashing Okeke. But back to that first play. It shows an unselfishness and chemistry that AU has never known. Ever. I was there in 98-99 (probably the only other AU team that I would put up against this one), and they were phenomenal to watch, but this team seems to have it out for the success of the guys around the more than themselves, and that’s one sequence made that an absolute truth for me last night. 

26 minutes ago, jared52 said:

During the game last night, there was a moment that perfectly defines this year’s Auburn basketball team. I call it a moment because it happened so fast and so purely that once it happened you wanted a still frame of it, because even a thousand words can’t express what’s it means for Auburn basketball. It’s a moment that it hope we see more and more of from Bruce Pearl’s time at AU (which I hope is forever).

with 10 min to go in the second, Harper drives the lane looking to kick out but LSU get a piece of the ball before he can pass it and they go the other way. The up court pass is stolen immediately by Murray right at mid court. Everyone was headed the other way and Murray has clear sailing to go fly in and bring the house down. But wait, there is little Jared Harper standing under the goal and without hesitation Murray drops it down to him. My first though was, “Aw, there’s just gonna be a little bank shot to accentuate the steal here when we could see DeSean throw down the hammer?” But a soon as Harper catches it, he just tosses it in the air and here comes Dunbar flying in to finish the oop. 

It almost looked rehearsed it was so smooth, but it’s something I cannot stop thinking about from the game. There is another moment where Heron drove the lane not having scored since his 16 point star and he’s got a wide open 8 footer, but chooses instead to make a slick bounce pass to a crashing Okeke. But back to that first play. It shows an unselfishness and chemistry that AU has never known. Ever. I was there in 98-99 (probably the only other AU team that I would put up against this one), and they were phenomenal to watch, but this team seems to have it out for the success of the guys around the more than themselves, and that’s one sequence made that an absolute truth for me last night. 

Couldn't agree more, I actually posted similar to this in the game thread.  I didn't express any given plays but you nailed it on the head!!

Good post and point. I've seen a lot of Auburn teams through the years but we all better enjoy this one because this type of team doesn't come around often. Fun to watch is all I can say. 

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

Agree with this except if you watch the replay that ball got knocked away from Heron and turned into a perfect bounce pass to Okeke. WTH, I'll still give Heron the credit too though, lol.

I hope we continue to find ways to keep Dunbar, in particular, involved. I know he’s been a little frustrated with his role and PT, and it’s showed up a couple times on the bench. He’s going to be a big part of this team down the stretch because he will have to be. We don’t have the depth without him. So I hope we do everything possible to keep him engaged and prepared. 

Archived