Men crack the top 10 in CBS sports poll

WeagleAU

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-kentucky-gets-back-on-track-auburn-cracks-the-top-10

This is awesome!  I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen Auburn BB ranked in the top 10 in any poll.  It will be interesting to see where they stand in the AP and coaches polls.

Top 10

1. Villanova
2. Virginia
3. Purdue
4. Duke
5. Kansas
6. Michigan State
7. Xavier
8. Cincinnati
9. Texas Tech
10. AUBURN

It should be noted this is the CBS Sports poll and not the AP or coaches poll.    CBSSPORTS.com RPI we are up to #5.

17 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

It should be noted this is the CBS Sports poll and not the AP or coaches poll.    CBSSPORTS.com RPI we are up to #5.

Thanks, I put it in the title and edited the post.  

We'll jump in the AP and Coaches' poll, but I'll be surprised if we crack the top ten. 

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

At least somebody showing us a little respect.

really don't think we want any right now. updyke.com had uat gymnastics as a headline

had to click ur way in to find Auburn basketball

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

When do actual poles come out? I don’t see any big jump. Maybe 2-3 spots. 

Tomorrow around lunch. I think we will be in the 14-16 range, if we move up. 

I haven’t been a steady hoops fan in many years. This team is reeling me back in. I used to follow Duke when Auburn stunk but kinda lost interest till tournament time. So I fully admit I’m a bandwagon fan. But I have an observation I would like to start a conversation about for those with more fandom and knowledge of the game than me. If we chose an all sec team today; or let say Phil Jackson pick the best five or even ten players to compete, are any of our players on it. What I see is a great team with no stars. That is not a knock on the players and I might be wrong. Just curious what others think. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

I haven’t been a steady hoops fan in many years. This team is reeling me back in. I used to follow Duke when Auburn stunk but kinda lost interest till tournament time. So I fully admit I’m a bandwagon fan. But I have an observation I would like to start a conversation about for those with more fandom and knowledge of the game than me. If we chose an all sec team today; or let say Phil Jackson pick the best five or even ten players to compete, are any of our players on it. What I see is a great team with no stars. That is not a knock on the players and I might be wrong. Just curious what others think. 

Harper is the best point guard in the SEC. If picking ten, then it's possible that Brown and Heron would have a spot too.

1 minute ago, AUfan_UAgrad said:

Did you watch that live? It was nothing like a punch. Harper was behind Pearl, Pearl didn't know he was there.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Harper is the best point guard in the SEC. If picking ten, then it's possible that Brown and Heron would have a spot too.

I'd like for that to be true, but I believe he has some stiff competition and probably wouldn't be considered the best right now. Chris Chiozza, Collin Sexton, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Daryl Macon, even Tremont Waters. All those dudes are really good too. 

The weakness in SEC basketball in recent years has been PG play....and now all of a sudden there are good ones on many teams...and while Harper is among the best, not sure which of them is the "best" and expect that if AU maintains its run that Harper will get the recognition as top PG.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The weakness in SEC basketball in recent years has been PG play....and now all of a sudden there are good ones on many teams...and while Harper is among the best, not sure which of them is the "best" and expect that if AU maintains its run that Harper will get the recognition as top PG.

And all of those guys I listed play significantly different roles within their offenses, which makes them hard to judge. Harper and Chiozza and Gilgeous-Alexander are more facilitators first whereas Macon and Waters and Sexton are do-it-all primary options for their teams. But they're all very good at what they do.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Did you watch that live? It was nothing like a punch. Harper was behind Pearl, Pearl didn't know he was there.

Yeah I saw it live.  I was just posting as I thought it was funny in reference to the mention of Harper.  That's not my youtube video so title didn't come from me.  I think Harper has one of the nicest shots I've seen in a while from an Auburn player. 

I think our passing and ball handling got a little sloppy during the game especially late but I think that was to us dominating the game and guys trying stuff they typically wouldn't.

#11 in AP 

19 hours ago, AUGoo said:

At least somebody showing us a little respect.

#11 in AP and #13 in Coaches,  we’re getting a little more respect.  I hope this trend continues!

Archived