Brian Van Gorder to Louisville

BJCrawford

How does this guy keep popping up at good schools? Well I know Louisville is not Notre Dame....but still I can’t remember him being successful anywhere in a long time.

If two coaches ever deserved each other, these two would be in the running for the honor!

5 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

How does this guy keep popping up at good schools? Well I know Louisville is not Notre Dame....but still I can’t remember him being successful anywhere in a long time.

Because he can coach. If he hadn't been hamstrung, he would've been successful here.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Because he can coach. If he hadn't been hamstrung, he would've been successful here.

Yeah I don't think you can judge him by what happened in 2012. I don't think he quite knew what he was about to step in to. 

His time at Notre Dame however...

Van Gorder is the poster child for why we need to keep the big donors out of the inner workings of our program. The fact that they had the town drunk interfering with his defensive staff meetings tells you everything you need to know about how bad it got.

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Van Gorder is the poster child for why we need to keep the big donors out of the inner workings of our program. The fact that they had the town drunk idiot interfering with his defensive staff meetings tells you everything you need to know about how bad it got.

FIFY.  Wayne Bolt and Tim Jackson were Jay Jacobs' moles.

3 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

and stache would not stand up to these guys and do it the way he wanted ?   doesn't look that kind of wimp to me. ..

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

and stache would not stand up to these guys and do it the way he wanted ?   doesn't look that kind of wimp to me. ..

He did stand up to them and kicked them out of multiple defensive meetings.  The fact that they were there...

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He did stand up to them and kicked them out of multiple defensive meetings.  The fact that they were there...

SMDH. Classic JABA....

12 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yeah I don't think you can judge him by what happened in 2012. I don't think he quite knew what he was about to step in to. 

His time at Notre Dame however...

He also failed at Atlanta before coming to Auburn.  I feel he is one of those who falls into the category of sticking with what he knows and not evolve what he knows and how to teach it.  Offenses have changed so much in the last decade.  The concept of a base defense is disappearing.  Multi-front, nickel and dime is the direction defenses are evolving towards.  The challenge is to give multiple looks without overcomplicating the defense and limiting its ability to react and attack.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's no excuse for how his defenses performed...JMO....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Well, when your not allowed to run your defense it does.  When you have been essentially neutered by the ptb/HC then the players have no accountability and do what they want.  You had some players trying to run BVGs d while other were trying to run Chizik's. 

Same thing happened to Roof as well.  Why do you think Roof's halftime adjustments were so good and why we always looked so inept during the 1st halves?

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, when your not allowed to run your defense it does.  When you have been essentially neutered by the ptb/HC then the players have no accountability and do what they want.  You had some players trying to run BVGs d while other were trying to run Chizik's. 

Same thing happened to Roof as well.  Why do you think Roof's halftime adjustments were so good and why we always looked so inept during the 1st halves?

I would guess that Ellis Johnson fell victim, too. And it took Gus some time to get the leverage ("Hey, DAs, we just dropped 44 on bama and lost") to change things via Muschamp. 

16 hours ago, fredst said:

0CFD63C2-6C7F-4E3E-9295-973D2505B048.gif

I've always thought that the expression on Phillip Marshall's looks like he just sharted himself...

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Have you lost your memory about 2012 AU64?

Seriously man, the "excuses" from that 2012 sh!tstorm had absolutely nothing to do with BVG.  BVG was not a wimp, his hands were tied to some degree by his freaking boss.  

The man was sold a fake bill of goods.  He had no idea what he was stepping into when he took that job - Chizik/Jacob's minions interfering at every turn "reporting" back to JJ & GC every chance they got.  BVG stood up to them and flat out told them to get the hell out of his meetings and game planning sessions.  

How can you not remember all of this?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

IIRC, This is when he basically called them out on it too.

Yep, BVG made his feelings very public and PMash almost stroked out.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Seriously man, the "excuses" from that 2012 sh!tstorm had absolutely nothing to do with BVG.  BVG was not a wimp, his hands were tied to some degree by his freaking boss.  

The man was sold a fake bill of goods.  He had no idea what he was stepping into when he took that job - Chizik/Jacob's minions interfering at every turn "reporting" back to JJ & GC every chance they got.  BVG stood up to them and flat out told them to get the hell out of his meetings and game planning sessions.  

And on at least one occasion was restrained or it would've come to blows.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

That's the thing about 2012. People love to isolate a particular player or coach from that team and call him a failure. At some point, you're looking at dozens of individual "failures" and you really have to wonder how all those people got together and decided to fail at the same time.

Sh** rolls downhill.

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Bolt was who I was referring to.  Met him twice... drunk the first time, falling down drunk the second. Both times he was "representing" the university as a presenter.

And yea, they worked for Jacobs and Jacobs answered to Lowder, Raines, etc. This is the #1 reason I'm happy about our new AD.

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

The guy quit on his team....or did you miss that.....

Archived