Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Probably one of the greatest moments in wrestling history. 

Wasn't supposed to be real, but it damned sure ended up being real that day. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's RAW was the lowest rated RAW ever!

https://lordsofpain.net/news/wwe-news/final-wwe-raw-before-extreme-rules-sets-new-historic-viewership-low.html

Monday’s WWE RAW, featuring the final red brand hype for Extreme Rules with Drew McIntyre vs. Seth Rollins in the main event, drew 2.470 million viewers. This is down from last week’s 2.707 million viewers and a new viewership low for 2018. This is also the lowest RAW viewership in history, coming in under the 2.478 million viewers from the September 26th, 2016 episode, which went up against the Trump – Clinton Presidential Debate and Monday Night Football.

And remember, this is the dead period for sports right now. No NFL, no NBA, etc...... There's really nothing else going on to compete with RAW until Monday Night Football in September. The fact that the ratings were that bad with no sporting even to compete with is concerning. 

I know, I know, people are cord cutting and all that but RAW's 25 anniversary show back in January had 4.530 million viewers, almost double of last week's rating. So for special occasions like RAW 25, THEY can have a lot better ratings but last week was the lowest ever.

I recently signed up for a free month of WWE Network. Wanted to see the old stuff I watched growing up(Flair, Mr Wrestling 2 etc.). Decided to watch the PPV tonite since it was free and I havn't watched in probably 5 years.
That is the most boring excuse for wrestling I have EVER seen. The crowd sat on their hands the whole show and who could blame them. Feel bad for the young fans of today, Vince is putting out pure garbage and there are few real alternatives. 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:21 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Exclusive: Incident with Carmella was the main reason why Big Cass was released by WWE

Published on 

As everyone knows by now, Cass is no longer with WWE and there were several incidents that rubbed people the wrong way. It’s already been reported that he broke script with a little person on Smackdown Live several weeks ago and the bus bathroom incident has been reported. However, the last straw was an incident with former girlfriend Carmella.

We were told that he went up to her and, according to a well-placed source, caused a scene while asking her to forgive him, apparently in hopes for a reconciliation. Carmella tried to walk off but he grabbed her arm and wrestlers in the area stepped in. We’re told that The Usos and Erick Rowan were the ones to get Cass to back away.

Well, once word got back to management, the call was made to fire him. Vince McMahon called Cass into a room and broke the news to him hours before Smackdown Live in Toledo. This recent incident would also explain why he was not wished well in his future endeavors when WWE.comannounced his release.

Well this makes more sense than the explanation I saw. I heard he was fired because he had asked Vince if he could beat down the fake little person Daniel Bryan. Vince supposedly said no but Cass beat him down anyway. Supposedly Vince was pissed & fired him for disobeying direct work orders.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 2:48 PM, aujeff11 said:

Wrestling is real. 

I just retweeted that @ing Carmella that she should adopt the move. lol

14 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Last week's RAW was the lowest rated RAW ever!

https://lordsofpain.net/news/wwe-news/final-wwe-raw-before-extreme-rules-sets-new-historic-viewership-low.html

And remember, this is the dead period for sports right now. No NFL, no NBA, etc...... There's really nothing else going on to compete with RAW until Monday Night Football in September. The fact that the ratings were that bad with no sporting even to compete with is concerning. 

I know, I know, people are cord cutting and all that but RAW's 25 anniversary show back in January had 4.530 million viewers, almost double of last week's rating. So for special occasions like RAW 25, THEY can have a lot better ratings but last week was the lowest ever.

Vince's booking directives are running the main shows into the ground.

14 hours ago, CR said:

I recently signed up for a free month of WWE Network. Wanted to see the old stuff I watched growing up(Flair, Mr Wrestling 2 etc.). Decided to watch the PPV tonite since it was free and I havn't watched in probably 5 years.
That is the most boring excuse for wrestling I have EVER seen. The crowd sat on their hands the whole show and who could blame them. Feel bad for the young fans of today, Vince is putting out pure garbage and there are few real alternatives. 

Even though we all know it sports entertainment I think some fans are letting it be know they want wrestling stories to be told as a sport more than entertainment. Extreme Rules was horse crap for the most part. The story telling on the main roster sucks right now. Some wrestling fans don't know about the company but New Japan has a better product right now with nowhere near the roster depth the WWE has.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Even though we all know it sports entertainment I think some fans are letting it be know they want wrestling stories to be told as a sport more than entertainment. Extreme Rules was horse crap for the most part. The story telling on the main roster sucks right now. Some wrestling fans don't know about the company but New Japan has a better product right now with nowhere near the roster depth the WWE has.

Hope you are correct. Pro wrestling has always been an escape for me to enjoy a couple of hours of storytelling mixed with some athleticism. 
In the old territory days there were enough different companies around to always  find someone putting out a quality product. Vince killed that.
Thanks for the tip on New Japan, I may check them out.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Hope you are correct. Pro wrestling has always been an escape for me to enjoy a couple of hours of storytelling mixed with some athleticism. 
In the old territory days there were enough different companies around to always  find someone putting out a quality product. Vince killed that.

When HHH takes over WWE will greatly improve. NXT is a vastly superior product than the mothership right now which he is in charge of. I do not see him taking over till vince dies and I do not think that is happening for a long time. That dude is the most in shape 70 plus year old I have ever seen. He is going to be around for a long time haha. I wish he would just step down and hand the reigns over to HHH but he is just not wired that way. 

• Like 1

To be fair this has always been THE dead time in WWE. Vince gets complacent in the summer and basically rests on his laurels when basketball and football are not in season. After Mania up until the road to summerslam is usually when the product is at it's most stale and weakest. It should ramp back up now starting tonight. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

When HHH takes over WWE will greatly improve. NXT is a vastly superior product than the mothership right now which he is in charge of. I do not see him taking over till vince dies and I do not think that is happening for a long time. That dude is the most in shape 70 plus year old I have ever seen. He is going to be around for a long time haha. I wish he would just step down and hand the reigns over to HHH but he is just not wired that way. 

I wonder if HHH and Kurt Angle ever talk about the good ol days when nobody else is around. Those 2 could tear the house down during their day. Must make them sad to see what it has become(though Im sure their check soothes their sadness).

1 hour ago, CR said:

I'll also recommend checking out New Japan. I'd say NJPW is by far the best wrestling product out there right now. 

New Japan airs every Friday night on AXS TV. 

2 hours ago, CR said:

I wonder if HHH and Kurt Angle ever talk about the good ol days when nobody else is around. Those 2 could tear the house down during their day. Must make them sad to see what it has become(though Im sure their check soothes their sadness).

The IN RING talent is the best it has ever been. That is def not the problem. THe issue is with the presentation of said talent and the bad storylines and booking. Kurt Angle was such a treat. WHO knew a frickin olympic gold medalist would go on to be one of the best heels the company has ever had. HE WAS SO AMAZING at comedy. Some of the funniest segments WWE has done in the past 20 years has involved Kurt angle! HUGE FAN! I want them to make him a heel again. He is so much better as one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The IN RING talent is the best it has ever been. That is def not the problem. THe issue is with the presentation of said talent and the bad storylines and booking. Kurt Angle was such a treat. WHO knew a frickin olympic gold medalist would go on to be one of the best heels the company has ever had. HE WAS SO AMAZING at comedy. Some of the funniest segtments WWE has done in the past 20 years has involved Kurt angle! HUGE FAN! I want them to make him a heel again. He is so much better as one.

Love your enthusiasm but I once watched in person a steel cage match with Stone Cold..Angle..The Rock..Triple H..Undertaker and Rikishi. Hard to see that group ever being topped. (Minus Rikishi)
Totally agree on Kurt, he was a natural and had some of the funniest segments I've watched in any era. He could've been an all timer if not for his injuries.

35 minutes ago, CR said:

Love your enthusiasm but I once watched in person a steel cage match with Stone Cold..Angle..The Rock..Triple H..Undertaker and Rikishi. Hard to see that group ever being topped. (Minus Rikishi)
Totally agree on Kurt, he was a natural and had some of the funniest segments I've watched in any era. He could've been an all timer if not for his injuries.

The star power and big names in that group def will never be topped but the in ring ability easily can and has been in the ruthless aggression era and the era we are in now currently. Out of those wrestlers I only would call Angle a great actual in ring wrestler. Though I am sure some would call Taker that. All the others could have a great match but were not consistently great in ring wrestlers. BUT  The attitude era did not need a large array of wrestlers to put on 5 star classics all the time. What made it was the larger than life personalities and the bonafide legit A list star power it had that made it the most watched era of wrestling ever easily. Stone Cold and Rock by themselves were the 2 biggest draws in the company outside of Hogan. And even hogan never took the company to the heights Austin and Rock did. It will never be topped in that regard. HE COULD NOT CATCH A BREAK with the injuries. It was infuriating seeing him have all these classic matches and then he would re break his neck again. You are absolutely right and hit the nail on the head.

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The IN RING talent is the best it has ever been. That is def not the problem. THe issue is with the presentation of said talent and the bad storylines and booking.

Agree. I also think combining all PPV's with Raw & Smackdown going forward was a mistake. It's trying to cram soo much talent in to 3 hours most of the time. It severely waters down the stories the in ring talent can tell. If they kept them separate the talent could tell some great stores with the time provided on a 6 or 7 match card as opposed to the 10 or 11 we saw last night. Another thing I don't like about WWE is how PG it is. It's wrestling I would use for a little boy or pre teen to watch.

For those interested with New Japan, even though AXS waters it down with it's re-airs, It's still more adult style storytelling. I'm watching every telecast AXS puts up right now but it won't be long til I'm caught up & will just watch the end of AXS to see if there was some post match press conference comments I missed. New Japan also has live English commentary with a different crew on NewJapanWorld.com. I watch events right after they happen on an alternate site. The pre AXS watered down stuff can be reminiscent of the WWE Attitude Era with some added sometimes strong cussing from the talent. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing many children in the crowd at the events in Japan.

I forgot one more thing. The story telling is much better & much more connected in NJPW.

Edited by ellitor
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2018 at 7:55 PM, AUBwins said:

Came across this video and all I can say is Wow!  Rey is an all time favorite of mine. Will has earned my respect. Enjoy! 

Ospreay is awesome. With the current IWGP current JR Heavyweight Champ Hiromu suffering a broken neck 10 days ago Ospreay may be in line to get the JR Heavyweight title back. The injury is below. Dragon Lee, the guy who caused the injury, reportedly had wrestled 4 times in 24 hours prior to the event. Dangerous to try this kind of move when you wrestle that much in such a short time...

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Ospreay is awesome. With the current IWGP current JR Heavyweight Champ Hiromu suffering a broken neck 10 days ago Ospreay may be in line to get the JR Heavyweight title back. The injury is below. Dragon Lee, the guy who caused the injury, reportedly had wrestled 4 times in 24 hours prior to the event. Dangerous to try this kind of move when you wrestle that much in such a short time...

There were several landings on the neck in that sequence. Crazy he finished the match. 

McMahon in the ring to start for a huge announcement. 

Announced that October will be the first ever all women's PPV. Curious to how they are going to build the storyline leading up to it. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

McMahon in the ring to start for a huge announcement. 

Announced that October will be the first ever all women's PPV. Curious to how they are going to build the storyline leading up to it. 

The right thing to do after the men had a all men ppv in Saudia Arabia because the women were not allowed in that backwards ass country. As someone who is more compelled by the womens division these days than the men I am ecstatic for this. WOOOO!!!!! LETS GOOOO!!!

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The right thing to do after the men had a all men ppv in Saudia Arabia because the women were not allowed in that backwards ass country. As someone who is more compelled by the womens division these days than the men I am ecstatic for this. WOOOO!!!!! LETS GOOOO!!!

50 women past, present and future will participate.... I know current Champs,  and NXT champ will be on the line.  But who will make a return?! Also has to have some sort of battle royal or something to allow that many participants.  They also have to make it special to keep the card fresh enough for PPV money.  My prediction: this is where we see the Baylee/ Sasha love-hate do something special.  They are two of the better competitors in Womens division, so it would probably benefit them having an epic feud match in a cage or something lol.  Or they win tag team gold or something else. Pretty sure we will see Trish. Ronda will probably be in the title mix.  Stephanie will have match too. Can't wait.  

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

50 women past, present and future will participate.... I know current Champs,  and NXT champ will be on the line.  But who will make a return?! Also has to have some sort of battle royal or something to allow that many participants.  They also have to make it special to keep the card fresh enough for PPV money.  My prediction: this is where we see the Baylee/ Sasha love-hate do something special.  They are two of the better competitors in Womens division, so it would probably benefit them having an epic feud match in a cage or something lol.  Or they win tag team gold or something else. Pretty sure we will see Trish. Ronda will probably be in the title mix.  Stephanie will have match too. Can't wait.  

you just got me even more excited!!!!!! WOOOOO!!!! you need to be a wwe writer!!! you are already much better than any of the crap writers they have on raw!!! lol. I am so ready for rousey vs Charlotte to main event mania next year bro!!!!! Been waiting a long time for that. I will be crushed if it does not happen hahaha.